removal

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
iminlstrick

Re: Oh god, Oh god, Oh god...

Postby iminlstrick » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:33 pm

lawduder wrote:
iminlstrick wrote:yes frankly this is why i withdrew from NYU. 70k/year is disgusting. i don't even think i'd pay sticker for HYS anymore, to be honest.

then again, you have the darrow sitting in your pocket :wink:

still, even with that (which yes is an incredible option to have), i don't think i'd pay sticker for anywhere. but i'm also a free spirit, and the idea that i can't do whatever i want in life because of something like self-inflicted debt bothers me. if sticker IS your only option, by all means go to the best school you can afford.

irishman86

Postby irishman86 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:28 pm

daesonesb wrote:What about deferring (possible?), moving to LA next year, working whatever job I can find, and then starting with in state tuition in 2011? I doubt I'd save anything living in the LA area, but I could at least save a bit of cash, and maybe apply to a few more scholarships than I did.

I think you need to spend at least 2 years working in California full-time in order to be considered a resident. By then in-state tuition would be 50,000 anyway.

Also need-based aid is based on YOUR finances alone, not your parents. You are considered an independent for law school. Unless you have dependents or a lot of debt, you probably won't get any need-based aid.

irishman86

Postby irishman86 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:30 pm

erniesto wrote:
daesonesb wrote:What about deferring (possible?), moving to LA next year, working whatever job I can find, and then starting with in state tuition in 2011? I doubt I'd save anything living in the LA area, but I could at least save a bit of cash, and maybe apply to a few more scholarships than I did.

70k vs 60k for 33% NLJ250 chances? Meh. Are you sure Cali is that good?

Seriously...it will probably end up being 70k anyway. To get residency you need at least 2 years of full-time work.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:06 am

irishman86 wrote:

I think you need to spend at least 2 years working in California full-time in order to be considered a resident. By then in-state tuition would be 50,000 anyway.

Also need-based aid is based on YOUR finances alone, not your parents. You are considered an independent for law school. Unless you have dependents or a lot of debt, you probably won't get any need-based aid.

It's 1 year not two. But yeah, as this poster mentions, if you wait an extra year by next year this year's out of state's tuition will be next year's in state tuition.

daesonesb

Postby daesonesb » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:55 pm

Updating:
Last edited by daesonesb on Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

texaspecial88

Postby texaspecial88 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:05 pm

daesonesb wrote:I just got my fin aid ePAL letter from UCLA.

They've estimated me @ $70,000 in gradplus and stafford loans.
I'm about to shit my pants in fear.

Why is this a bad thing? Not joking, I seriously don't know how this stuff works yet. Does that mean you have to take out loans elsewhere?

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:08 pm

texaspecial88 wrote:
daesonesb wrote:I just got my fin aid ePAL letter from UCLA.

They've estimated me @ $70,000 in gradplus and stafford loans.
I'm about to shit my pants in fear.

Why is this a bad thing? Not joking, I seriously don't know how this stuff works yet. Does that mean you have to take out loans elsewhere?

b/c they are planning on 100% financing their law degree --> $200,000+ in student loans is scary, even from a good school like UCLA.

texaspecial88

Postby texaspecial88 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:10 pm

Oh, never-mind. Didn't read far down enough-- i thought the OP meant 70k in loans spread out over 3 years.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:12 pm

MTal wrote:
nealric wrote:Question:

Are we finally hitting the breaking point with tuition? This trend of raising the tuition every year must eventually stop.

Not if the Government keeps handing out student loan money like candy!

+ a million

weee

Postby weee » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:29 pm

daesonesb wrote:Updating:

I've tried to contact UCLA financial aid office, but they are closed for whatever reason till march 28th (probably to keep people from bugging them with the $500 deposit deadline due).

I doubt I'll get much in the way of info out of the admissions office on merit aid.

I sent a letter basically saying that I was happy to see that I qualified for all the stafford money, but was wondering if merit aid would be available to help me with my choice between UCLA, Cornell and UW instate.

I sent the same letter to UW, who I hope will bite on a merit aid offer. My question is this:

Is it worth paying the deposit for UCLA while I wait for them to get the hell back into the office, or am I just tilting at windmills here?

The office is closed because they are on spring break at UCLA, also the Deadline is May 1, not exactly related in any way to the end of march. Wait.

daesonesb

Postby daesonesb » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:40 pm

weee wrote:
daesonesb wrote:Updating:

I've tried to contact UCLA financial aid office, but they are closed for whatever reason till march 28th (probably to keep people from bugging them with the $500 deposit deadline due).

I doubt I'll get much in the way of info out of the admissions office on merit aid.

I sent a letter basically saying that I was happy to see that I qualified for all the stafford money, but was wondering if merit aid would be available to help me with my choice between UCLA, Cornell and UW instate.

I sent the same letter to UW, who I hope will bite on a merit aid offer. My question is this:

Is it worth paying the deposit for UCLA while I wait for them to get the hell back into the office, or am I just tilting at windmills here?

The office is closed because they are on spring break at UCLA, also the Deadline is May 1, not exactly related in any way to the end of march. Wait.

Thanks for the slap in the face. I was confusing this deadline with another @ UW. Man... I need a vacation from LS applications.

yours

Postby yours » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:54 pm

i haven't heard back from ucla, but you can find me at uw next fall.
money is a big issue, but i have a home in seattle anyway.
and for $210k, you'd be better off buying a home too.
gl with the scholarships everyone!

jcl2

Postby jcl2 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:29 pm

daesonesb wrote:Yeah, I'm gonna go for UW, barring an act of god.

I think that is an excellent choice :D

Seriously though, I don't see UCLA being worth twice as much as UW in very many situations. 200k in debt would be pretty tough to manage on anything but a biglaw salary.

Also, did you fill out the UW scholarship application and send in the bio? You could get something. They have pretty generous tuition waivers for residents if you have a low EFC on your FAFSA, I think last year people with 0 EFC automatically got $8,000 knocked off of their tuition. So it could turn out to be an even better deal.

daesonesb

Postby daesonesb » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:52 am

jcl2 wrote:

Seriously though, I don't see UCLA being worth twice as much as UW in very many situations. 200k in debt would be pretty tough to manage on anything but a biglaw salary.

Also, did you fill out the UW scholarship application and send in the bio? You could get something. They have pretty generous tuition waivers for residents if you have a low EFC on your FAFSA, I think last year people with 0 EFC automatically got $8,000 knocked off of their tuition. So it could turn out to be an even better deal.

I'm doing the application over the next 5 days or so.
I can check all of 2-3 boxes for the scholarship categories (who would have thought being from a rural background helped?)

I have a FAFSA EFC of like 5,000, which is pretty high, so I doubt they'll give me need money. Did you apply for aid when you deferred last year? If so, did you get any money from fafsa, and with an EFC of what?

aPosseAdEsse

Postby aPosseAdEsse » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:04 am

jcl2 wrote:

Wha? What UW scholarship app? Are you only sent this once you're admitted?
Here's to hoping...

daesonesb

Postby daesonesb » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:06 am

aPosseAdEsse wrote:
jcl2 wrote:

Wha? What UW scholarship app? Are you only sent this once you're admitted?
Here's to hoping...

no you need to get it in before april 7th. the app looks short, maybe 8 questions, but one of them asks you to write a 500 word essay, so if you haven't started, it might be a good project for this weekend.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:15 am

CyLaw wrote:
Going to Cornell with no aid there either will cost, $69,750 a year. So not much better.

COL in Ithaca is NOT $20k a year. Cornell at $210k vs. UCLA at $210k, which would you take?

I'd take Cornell every time.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:20 am

With those 32% tuition hikes I'm sure instate will be at $50k or higher by the time you start in 2011 anyway.

The UC system is a sinking ship. Jump ship while you still can. The tuition hikes and whatever else they're doing is just the quartet playing the violin while the Titanic is sinking. The whole state is a near insolvent mess and I'm waiting for the day the Chinese decide to foreclose on that place.
Last edited by motiontodismiss on Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:23 am

lawduder wrote:
MTal wrote:Yeah, go ahead and gamble away your financial future for a 20 % chance that you can pay it back (note pay back, not get rich) within a reasonable amount of time. Sounds like a plan to me.

--ImageRemoved--

try it sometime MTal, you'd be doing the world a favor

Do you have any idea how many dead possums, racoons and ravens that tire has run over?

scionb4

Postby scionb4 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:50 am

oh god oh god oh god is not typically what one hears when trolling TLS - that's more what comes from Ray's room down the hall when there were a lot of freshmen over that night.

onthecusp

Postby onthecusp » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:00 am

daesonesb wrote:You are kinda bein a dick about it though. I really wanted to go to UCLA.

Isn't the average salary something like 120K at UCLA? You'd be attending the top ranked law school in Southern California, where only 14 other schools can claim a higher national ranking, which happens to be located in the 17th largest economy in the world. I have a feeling you'll do just fine.

Postby 270910 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:19 am

onthecusp wrote:
daesonesb wrote:You are kinda bein a dick about it though. I really wanted to go to UCLA.

Isn't the average salary something like 120K at UCLA? You'd be attending the top ranked law school in Southern California, where only 14 other schools can claim a higher national ranking, which happens to be located in the 17th largest economy in the world. I have a feeling you'll do just fine.

:shock:

That stat was almost certainly inflated before the legal economy shriveled up and died.

LawandOrder

Postby LawandOrder » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:47 am

stratocophic wrote:
beesknees wrote:$70k in loans for one year? Good God, man, you can't be serious.

I love Zero Punctuation!

onthecusp

Postby onthecusp » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:49 am

disco_barred wrote:
onthecusp wrote:

That stat was almost certainly inflated before the legal economy shriveled up and died.

Here are the latest stats taken straight from US News:

25th percentile private sector starting salary $125,000
Median private sector starting salary $160,000
75th percentile private sector starting salary $160,000
Percent in the private sector who reported salary information 87%
Median public service starting salary $58,262

Apparently these numbers were from 2007...so maybe. New rankings come out in a few weeks.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:33 am

onthecusp wrote:
disco_barred wrote:
onthecusp wrote:

Here are the latest stats taken straight from US News:

25th percentile private sector starting salary $125,000
Median private sector starting salary $160,000
75th percentile private sector starting salary $160,000
Percent in the private sector who reported salary information 87%
Median public service starting salary $58,262

Apparently these numbers were from 2007...so maybe. New rankings come out in a few weeks.

You're new here, I see.

First rule of law school selection: Ignore the absurd salary numbers.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”