removal

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
vanwinkle

Re: Oh god, Oh god, Oh god...

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:20 am

daesonesb wrote:You are kinda bein a dick about it though. I really wanted to go to UCLA.

And it's MTal's bluntness, not the crushing $210K in debt you'd accrue, that you're blaming for crushing your dream?

Mattalones

Postby Mattalones » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:20 am

My XGF had the same decision back in 07. She didn't realize it at the time, but Cornell POWNED market paying job-placement over UCLA even though they were only one USNWR rank apart. However, UCLA POWNED Cornell for CA market paying job-placement. Just keep in mind where you want to be. Cornell will not get you far in CA compared to UCLA. If you're cool working in NY, Cornell is WAY more likely to get you a market paying job-placement, though.

daesonesb

Postby daesonesb » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:24 am

[quote="van
Last edited by daesonesb on Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:30 am

daesonesb wrote:At least tomorrow, i get to go to a bachelor party with golf, steak grilling, kegs, and strippers
In that order.

This sounds pretty sweet.

jonas586

Postby jonas586 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:48 am

lawduder wrote:
MTal wrote:Yeah, go ahead and gamble away your financial future for a 20 % chance that you can pay it back (note pay back, not get rich) within a reasonable amount of time. Sounds like a plan to me.

--ImageRemoved--

try it sometime MTal, you'd be doing the world a favor

I don't think this comment is merited. MTal's advice is pretty solid in that OP will be making a high stakes gamble by going to UCLA with that type of debt burden. Personally, there is no way in hell I would go to UCLA with 210k looming over my shoulders, and would want someone to be blunt with me if I was considering it. UCLA is a good school, but no lock for the types of high paying jobs OP will need to pay off those loans. Then again, I don't know what daesonesb's career goals are, or whether UCLA has a good LRAP program. These things should also be considered.

CaptainSnuggleBunny

Postby CaptainSnuggleBunny » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:03 am

i would just go to Cornell. Also, I think you should have applied to more schools.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:06 am

Wait. OP's stated decision was not UCLA vs Cornell. Cornell was only brought up in terms of trying to negotiate aid from UCLA. IIRC, OP is actually wondering about UW instate vs UCLA out of state, and I think was actually just lamenting the price tag of UCLA as found out in their Aid letter.

This is not a UCLA vs Cornell thread.

twert

Postby twert » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:34 am

you should def go to cornell

ShibaDan

Postby ShibaDan » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:30 am

twert wrote:you should def go to cornell

:lol:

narkizopoint

Postby narkizopoint » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:26 am

Man, its going to suck sharing that 2 bedroom apartment in westwood with 3 other roomies splitting a 2500/mo rent and trying to study with all those undergrads running around. Especially on 20k/yr living expenses (hope you weren't planning on having a car down here in CA)

kommatas

Postby kommatas » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:50 am

daesonesb wrote:You are kinda bein a dick about it though. I really wanted to go to UCLA.

did you get into any other schools who offered you any scholarship $. I think you would hve if you got into cornell... Try to use that for some barganing power. There are probably a lot of students who withdrew, who had some merit aid, that you may be able to recieve now.

nealric

Postby nealric » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:19 am

Question:

Are we finally hitting the breaking point with tuition? This trend of raising the tuition every year must eventually stop.

twert

Postby twert » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:07 am

nealric wrote:Question:

Are we finally hitting the breaking point with tuition? This trend of raising the tuition every year must eventually stop.

i think so, we will have the dubious honor of paying the highest tuition ever.

daesonesb

Postby daesonesb » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:48 am

[quote="kommatas"][quote="daesoor some need grants.
Last edited by daesonesb on Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

erniesto

Postby erniesto » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:18 pm

daesonesb wrote:
kommatas wrote:

did you get into any other schools who offered you any scholarship $. I think you would hve if you got into cornell... Try to use that for some barganing power. There are probably a lot of students who withdrew, who had some merit aid, that you may be able to recieve now.

Nah. No money yet. UW doesn't give it, USC WL'd me (I know, right?), and the rest aren't interested I dont think.

I'm going to call about the possibility of merit aid monday, like I said. I'll also ask them to consider letting me re apply for need aid. As it is now, I had to submit need access just using my mom's data, cause my dad didn't have the tax info ready, and they are divorced. I think there is a strong case that I looked richer than I am on need aid. My mom is a doctor, but there was a pretty big splitting of their finances during the divorce, and now they maintain two seperate households.

Neither plans on helping me at all either, so, as I said, I think I have a good case for some need grants.

I wouldn't hold your hopes up for that. There are many people who have parents who don't make 6 figures (or even 40,000) in your same situation. In all reality, you don't even have a case. You probably could call your moms in dire need and she'd float you a month's rent rather than turn you out on the street. Some people don't have that luxury and would be turned out onto the street.

Maybe they'll give you work-study, who knows.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:20 pm

daesonesb wrote:UW in state sounds mighty good right now.

first, take a deep breath

second, send deposit to UW

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:52 pm

erniesto wrote:Maybe they'll give you work-study, who knows.

Don't rely on Work Study. I had it estimated on my RU-N need based package and when I asked the financial aid person about it, she said it's very hard to get kids on WS to hit their hours first year since it's so intense. They would try to get a few hours in the library here or there, or some other menial filing work, but no more than a very small portion of the package (i.e. around $500 or so).

MTal

Postby MTal » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:53 pm

Not if the Government keeps handing out student loan money like candy!

daesonesb

Postby daesonesb » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:55 pm

What about deferring (possible?), moving to LA next year, working whatever job I can find, and then starting with in state tuition in 2011? I doubt I'd save anything living in the LA area, but I could at least save a bit of cash, and maybe apply to a few more scholarships than I did.

nealric

Postby nealric » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:01 pm

The student loan availability certainly makes price much more inelastic than it would otherwise be, but there still has to be a point where people balk. I imagine very few people would take out $1,000,000 in loans for for school even if it were available.

erniesto

Postby erniesto » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:08 pm

daesonesb wrote:What about deferring (possible?), moving to LA next year, working whatever job I can find, and then starting with in state tuition in 2011? I doubt I'd save anything living in the LA area, but I could at least save a bit of cash, and maybe apply to a few more scholarships than I did.

70k vs 60k for 33% NLJ250 chances? Meh. Are you sure Cali is that good?

JTX

Postby JTX » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:11 pm

MTal wrote:

i think i'm getting a forum crush on MTal.

lawhawk

Postby lawhawk » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:14 pm

What are you going to do when tuition, fees, and col go UP over the next 3 years. You'll be in 250k debt.

iminlstrick

Postby iminlstrick » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:26 pm

yes frankly this is why i withdrew from NYU. 70k/year is disgusting. i don't even think i'd pay sticker for HYS anymore, to be honest.

lawduder

Postby lawduder » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:30 pm

iminlstrick wrote:yes frankly this is why i withdrew from NYU. 70k/year is disgusting. i don't even think i'd pay sticker for HYS anymore, to be honest.

then again, you have the darrow sitting in your pocket :wink:

Return to “Choosing a Law School”