removal

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
daesonesb
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:18 pm

removal

Postby daesonesb » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:51 pm

dd
Last edited by daesonesb on Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Hopefullawstudent
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:35 pm

Re: Oh god, Oh god, Oh god...

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:54 pm

daesonesb wrote:I just got my fin aid ePAL letter from UCLA.

They've estimated me @ $70,000 in gradplus and stafford loans.
I'm about to shit my pants in fear.


Fear? Or motivation to do well in law school and land a high paying gig? Market rate still happens for some people at UCLA, even in the bad times! (mild sarcasm of course) :wink:

User avatar
MTal
Posts: 854
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:47 pm

Re: Oh god, Oh god, Oh god...

Postby MTal » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:58 pm

Yeah, go ahead and gamble away your financial future for a 20 % chance that you can pay it back (note pay back, not get rich) within a reasonable amount of time. Sounds like a plan to me.

User avatar
daesonesb
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:18 pm

Re: Oh god, Oh god, Oh god...

Postby daesonesb » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:02 pm

dfs
Last edited by daesonesb on Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CyLaw
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: Oh god, Oh god, Oh god...

Postby CyLaw » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:04 pm

daesonesb wrote:I just got my fin aid ePAL letter from UCLA.

They've estimated me @ $70,000 in gradplus and stafford loans.
I'm about to shit my pants in fear.


Per year or total?

Total not so bad.

Per Year is :shock: :shock:

User avatar
beesknees
Posts: 458
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:46 am

Re: Oh god, Oh god, Oh god...

Postby beesknees » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:05 pm

$70k in loans for one year? Good God, man, you can't be serious.

User avatar
daesonesb
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:18 pm

Re: Oh god, Oh god, Oh god...

Postby daesonesb » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:06 pm

One year.
Last edited by daesonesb on Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
twert
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: Oh god, Oh god, Oh god...

Postby twert » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:08 pm

daesonesb wrote:One year.

EDIT: 2010-2011 tuition and fees are 50K out of state.

if its 50k out of state you may need more that 70k to live in westwood for a year.

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: Oh god, Oh god, Oh god...

Postby stratocophic » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:09 pm

beesknees wrote:$70k in loans for one year? Good God, man, you can't be serious.

Image

User avatar
daesonesb
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:18 pm

Re: Oh god, Oh god, Oh god...

Postby daesonesb » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:09 pm

twert wrote:
daesonesb wrote:One year.

EDIT: 2010-2011 tuition and fees are 50K out of state.

if its 50k out of state you may need more that 70k to live in westwood for a year.

Granted, but the COL is estimated 20k

CyLaw
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: Oh god, Oh god, Oh god...

Postby CyLaw » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:09 pm

daesonesb wrote:One year.

EDIT: 2010-2011 tuition and fees are 50K out of state.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Umm, have you tried negotiating for some merit aid?

User avatar
daesonesb
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:18 pm

Re: Oh god, Oh god, Oh god...

Postby daesonesb » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:16 pm

[quote="CyLaw"][quote="daesonesb"]One year.
Last edited by daesonesb on Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: Oh god, Oh god, Oh god...

Postby dakatz » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:21 pm

You can't seriously be considering paying 70K a year...

FuturehoyaLawya
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:10 am

Re: Oh god, Oh god, Oh god...

Postby FuturehoyaLawya » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:21 pm

don't go to ucla! unless u get some serious funding...it is not worth 70K...especially in this economy, and until my 3L friends start getting jobs who attend T-6 schools....no school is worth sticker unless it is HYS.

fortissimo
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:05 am

Re: Oh god, Oh god, Oh god...

Postby fortissimo » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:30 pm

Damn, and I think in-state is reaching 50k by 3L year too.

210k debt + interest? Not worth it. Some top 10s at sticker price cost over 40k LESS than that, including COL.

User avatar
daesonesb
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:18 pm

Re: Oh god, Oh god, Oh god...

Postby daesonesb » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:32 pm

Yeah,
Last edited by daesonesb on Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blsingindisguise
Posts: 1296
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:08 am

Re: Oh god, Oh god, Oh god...

Postby blsingindisguise » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:33 pm

Wow man, 50k a year?

The UC system is like a sinking ship that's trying to bail out by drilling a hole in the bottom to let the water out.

lawduder
Posts: 483
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:56 am

Re: Oh god, Oh god, Oh god...

Postby lawduder » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:39 pm

MTal wrote:Yeah, go ahead and gamble away your financial future for a 20 % chance that you can pay it back (note pay back, not get rich) within a reasonable amount of time. Sounds like a plan to me.

--ImageRemoved--

try it sometime MTal, you'd be doing the world a favor

User avatar
MTal
Posts: 854
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:47 pm

Re: Oh god, Oh god, Oh god...

Postby MTal » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:41 pm

lawduder wrote:
MTal wrote:Yeah, go ahead and gamble away your financial future for a 20 % chance that you can pay it back (note pay back, not get rich) within a reasonable amount of time. Sounds like a plan to me.

--ImageRemoved--

try it sometime MTal, you'd be doing the world a favor


The majority of posters in this thread agree with me.

User avatar
daesonesb
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:18 pm

Re: Oh god, Oh god, Oh god...

Postby daesonesb » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:57 pm

You are kinda bein a dick about it though. I really wanted to go to UCLA.

erniesto
Posts: 298
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:56 pm

Re: Oh god, Oh god, Oh god...

Postby erniesto » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:05 am

daesonesb wrote:
CyLaw wrote:
daesonesb wrote:One year.

EDIT: 2010-2011 tuition and fees are 50K out of state.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Umm, have you tried negotiating for some merit aid?

I'm gonna try monday.
I got into Cornell, that's gotta be worth a bit in negotiating.
I'll also go hunting for private party scholarships. Ask them to reconsider my Need aid (mom's a doctor, dads a prof, I get none).


Can you just go to Cornell and save yourself the effort? 70k a year is retarded. Guess how much you'll pay over a ten year repayment plan. Assuming you break the top 33% and can actually pay this off in 10 years.

Ready?
~$298,000

That's a pretty big house in some areas. Do you really want to stay in Cali that bad?

CyLaw
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: Oh god, Oh god, Oh god...

Postby CyLaw » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:07 am

erniesto wrote:
daesonesb wrote:
CyLaw wrote:
daesonesb wrote:One year.

EDIT: 2010-2011 tuition and fees are 50K out of state.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Umm, have you tried negotiating for some merit aid?

I'm gonna try monday.
I got into Cornell, that's gotta be worth a bit in negotiating.
I'll also go hunting for private party scholarships. Ask them to reconsider my Need aid (mom's a doctor, dads a prof, I get none).


Can you just go to Cornell and save yourself the effort? 70k a year is retarded. Guess how much you'll pay over a ten year repayment plan. Assuming you break the top 33% and can actually pay this off in 10 years.

Ready?
~$298,000

That's a pretty big house in some areas. Do you really want to stay in Cali that bad?


Going to Cornell with no aid there either will cost, $69,750 a year. So not much better.

erniesto
Posts: 298
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:56 pm

Re: Oh god, Oh god, Oh god...

Postby erniesto » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:15 am

Really? Didn't know Ithaca was so expensive. That's still cheaper than a lower ranked school.

fortissimo
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:05 am

Re: Oh god, Oh god, Oh god...

Postby fortissimo » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:17 am

erniesto wrote:Really? Didn't know Ithaca was so expensive. That's still cheaper than a lower ranked school.


I believe Cornell's the second most expensive school tuition-wise out of the t-14, behind Berkeley for OOS. (Columbia, NYU are also ~70 per year, due to high COL though.)

CyLaw
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: Oh god, Oh god, Oh god...

Postby CyLaw » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:19 am

fortissimo wrote:
erniesto wrote:Really? Didn't know Ithaca was so expensive. That's still cheaper than a lower ranked school.


I believe Cornell's the second most expensive school tuition-wise out of the t-14, behind Berkeley for OOS. (Columbia, NYU are also ~70 per year due to high COL.)


Yeah. the tuition alone for Cornell is $51,150




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: rizzlebizness and 2 guests