Notre Dame ($18k/yr) vs. Emory ($20k/yr) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which should I choose?

Notre Dame
69%
Emory
31%

Total votes: 16

UFMatt

Bronze

Notre Dame ($18k/yr) vs. Emory ($20k/yr)

Post by UFMatt » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:33 pm

I'm leaning toward Notre Dame, but I was wondering about your opinions. Some comments:

- Despite slightly more scholarship money at Emory, total cost would be cheaper at ND
- If possible, I'd like the option of working in the pacific NW or, failing that, the northeast
- My interests in order of preference are IP (I'm a science PhD), corporate, and health law

I'll visit both in the next couple of weeks, so that will help. As I see it, Notre Dame wins in terms of cost, portability, and quality of life (I prefer smaller towns, plus the new law building looks great). Some of the placement stats that came out recently also seemed to favor Notre Dame. Emory wins in terms of ranking (albeit very slightly) and IP/health law coursework.

My hesitation mostly stems from my perception that Emory is more "IP law friendly" and from the rankings. Am I overthinking? Thanks!

voice of reason

Bronze

Re: Notre Dame ($18k/yr) vs. Emory ($20k/yr)

Post by voice of reason » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:50 am

I'd lean slightly toward ND if you can tolerate South Bend and the Shiite Catholics. It's not clear that one choice is better.

No luck at Washington?

UFMatt

Bronze

Post by UFMatt » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:41 pm

voice of reason wrote:I'd lean slightly toward ND if you can tolerate South Bend and the Shiite Catholics. It's not clear that one choice is better.

No luck at Washington?
Washington would've been a great option, but I didn't apply since they're so stingy with scholarship money.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:43 pm

UFMatt wrote:I'm leaning toward Notre Dame, but I was wondering about your opinions. Some comments:

- Despite slightly more scholarship money at Emory, total cost would be cheaper at ND
- If possible, I'd like the option of working in the pacific NW or, failing that, the northeast
- My interests in order of preference are IP (I'm a science PhD), corporate, and health law

I'll visit both in the next couple of weeks, so that will help. As I see it, Notre Dame wins in terms of cost, portability, and quality of life (I prefer smaller towns, plus the new law building looks great). Some of the placement stats that came out recently also seemed to favor Notre Dame. Emory wins in terms of ranking (albeit very slightly) and IP/health law coursework.

My hesitation mostly stems from my perception that Emory is more "IP law friendly" and from the rankings. Am I overthinking? Thanks!
Neither will be that great for the northeast, but here I'd take ND.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”