GW debt-free or UVA sticker???

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

GW with no loans or UVA sticker?

GW, debt-free
75%
UVA, sticker price
25%

Total votes: 71

gwgirl

GW debt-free or UVA sticker???

Postby gwgirl » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:11 pm

--I am a current GW student
--Pretty confident I will end up doing public interest
--Love living in DC, I want to work here after law school
--Didn't love UVA when I visited, BUT
--I feel like UVA's connections/reputation for placing people in jobs, clerkships might be worth it

HELP!

as stars burn

Re: GW debt-free or UVA sticker???

Postby as stars burn » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:15 pm

I think you pretty much answered your question! I'd stay at GW debt-free.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:17 pm

--I am a current GW student - UVA
--Pretty confident I will end up doing public interest - GW
--Love living in DC, I want to work here after law school - GW
--Didn't love UVA when I visited, BUT - GW
--I feel like UVA's connections/reputation for placing people in jobs, clerkships might be worth it - UVA

I'd lean to GW. Might think differently if UVA coughs up money.

Edit - to be clear, some of the five line items above are pretty minor. Go to GW because a full ride beats even the best LRAP.

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:27 pm

GW. No debt is too appealing especially if you're interested in PI. There's definitely an argument for UVA, but I'd take GW.

dood

Postby dood » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:43 pm

Last edited by dood on Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dood

Postby dood » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:44 pm

Last edited by dood on Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:26 pm

Were you at ASW these past two days? If so, let's get together and discuss. I loved certain things but didn't love others, and I wouldn't mind having someone to debrief with.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:27 pm

UVA. Federal IBR makes debt irrelevant if you want PI.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:37 pm

rayiner wrote:UVA. Federal IBR makes debt irrelevant if you want PI.

He loves the environment he's in. He wasn't in love with UVA, and he's got a full scholly to GWU already. Who knows what rug will be pulled out from under UVA grads? Plus, the employment differences between UVA and GWU aren't so great that someone should be worried about it. GWU is almost as good of a school as UVA and trumps UVA in some respects.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:38 pm

PDaddy wrote:
rayiner wrote:UVA. Federal IBR makes debt irrelevant if you want PI.

He loves the environment he's in. He wasn't in love with UVA, and he's got a full scholly to GWU already. Who knows what rug will be pulled out from under UVA grads? Plus, the employment differences between UVA and GWU aren't so great that someone should be worried about it. GWU is almost as good of a school as UVA and trumps UVA in some respects.

o_O

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:42 pm

ITE, debt free is the way to be, especially for a real solid school. My buddy goes to UVA law and he says that himself and many others regret paying sticker right now, seeing as so many of them don't have jobs.

gwgirl

Postby gwgirl » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:28 pm

Thanks for your input, everyone. I'm actually fairly surprised, I thought a lot more people would say go for UVA despite the cost.

PDaddy, in what areas do you think GW "trumps" UVA?

Also, rayiner, I think it's a stretch to say federal IBR makes the debt "irrelevant"--it's still 10 years of payments, and depending on how much you're making, it can still be hard to live on. For example, a woman in finaid at UVA told me about a woman who had $114,000 in debt from UVA, and her monthly payment was supposed to be $1400, but under federal IBR it was reduced to $550. That sounded great, until I did the math and realized that woman was only making $44,000 a year. After taxes, and minus $6600 a year in your loan payments, that's not much to live on, especially in the DC area which is where I'd like to be. Plus, this is all assuming you get a job. What happens if I can't find a PI job out of UVA? Then I'm stuck with $200,000 in loans with no reprieve. Not trying to bash you, it's just that those scenarios are what worry me...any thoughts?

Puffy

Postby Puffy » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:32 pm

Or what happens when you graduate from GW and you lose out on the job you really want to a UVA grad?

gwgirl

Postby gwgirl » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:37 pm

Puffy wrote:Or what happens when you graduate from GW and you lose out on the job you really want to a UVA grad?

That's obviously a concern, but do you think a bigger concern right now is getting a job or not PERIOD in this economy? (and if that's the case, I'd rather be debt-free) I'm not sure, I'd like to hear other thoughts.

4for44

Postby 4for44 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:40 pm

gw girl how do you have a debt free option and UVA option considering that you have to ED to GWU for a full ride?

Im looking at applying to both next year and still deciding about ED... I dont think I will but if you have any input I would really appreciate your advice.

Also a Gdub Undergrad. Hail to the buff, Hail to the blue!

(Answered by PM)
Last edited by 4for44 on Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Puffy

Postby Puffy » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:41 pm

gwgirl wrote:
Puffy wrote:Or what happens when you graduate from GW and you lose out on the job you really want to a UVA grad?

That's obviously a concern, but do you think a bigger concern right now is getting a job or not PERIOD in this economy? (and if that's the case, I'd rather be debt-free) I'm not sure, I'd like to hear other thoughts.

Sure many of us will be happy with a job, but I'm sure some jobs make us happier than other jobs, and there's no reason not to shoot for them. It is easily the safer thing not to attend law school at all and get a job, but you are not doing that obviously.

And if you are anything like me, and must spend money in order to stay alive, you will hardly be debt-free after three years in DC.
Last edited by Puffy on Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pollaclc

Postby pollaclc » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:43 pm

do you have any idea what career you'd be after within PI more specifically? some areas are way more competitive than others, in which case UVA might be worth the price (still might not, but it's a consideration)

jnorsky

Postby jnorsky » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:47 pm

GW trumps UVA in the area of being closest to Washington D.C. and thats pretty much about it.

gwgirl

Postby gwgirl » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:55 pm

Puffy wrote:
gwgirl wrote:

Sure many of us will be happy with a job, but I'm sure some jobs make us happier than other jobs, and there's no reason not to shoot for them. It is easily the safer thing not to attend law school at all and get a job, but you are not doing that obviously.

And if you are anything like me, and must spend money in order to stay alive, you will hardly be debt-free after three years in DC.

Will UVA be that much better at placing me in a job that will make me happier? $200,000 better??

I just PMed the other GW undergrad to explain my situation and why I will be able to be debt-free if I stay at GW. No need to question that.

gwgirl

Postby gwgirl » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:57 pm

pollaclc wrote:do you have any idea what career you'd be after within PI more specifically? some areas are way more competitive than others, in which case UVA might be worth the price (still might not, but it's a consideration)

I do have some idea, but obviously I think it could change depending on my experiences in law school. I'm especially interested in civil rights, specifically LGBT issues. Also environmental law. Odd combination, but those are my two main interest areas...

pandaexpress

Postby pandaexpress » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:00 pm

G-Dubs

ihurtmyselftoday

Postby ihurtmyselftoday » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:08 pm

gwgirl wrote:--I am a current GW student
--I feel like UVA's connections/reputation for placing people in jobs, clerkships might be worth it

HELP!

If it helps, I went to GW this past weekend to check things out. My choices right now are GTown sticker or GWU for (almost) debt-free.

I spoke with a 2L who had almost the same situation as you and I. He actually had a half scholly at UVA with no aid from G-Town. He chose to take the money at GW because he wanted to stay in DC and claims that he doesn't regret it one bit. He seemed genuinely happy about his school and answered all the questions I had.

But, when asked about job prospects he basically said "Yeah, it's pretty rough right now." This is coming from someone who, from what I could tell from our conversation, was likely in the upper portion of his class. I'd guess top 20%. He seemed optimistic though and had done an internship with a small to mid-sized firm between 1L and 2L.

HTH.

gwgirl

Postby gwgirl » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:12 pm

ihurtmyselftoday wrote:

HELP!

If it helps, I went to GW this past weekend to check things out. My choices right now are GTown sticker or GWU for (almost) debt-free.

I spoke with a 2L who had almost the same situation as you and I. He actually had a half scholly at UVA with no aid from G-Town. He chose to take the money at GW because he wanted to stay in DC and claims that he doesn't regret it one bit. He seemed genuinely happy about his school and answered all the questions I had.

But, when asked about job prospects he basically said "Yeah, it's pretty rough right now." This is coming from someone who, from what I could tell from our conversation, was likely in the upper portion of his class. I'd guess top 20%. He seemed optimistic though and had done an internship with a small to mid-sized firm between 1L and 2L.

HTH.

Thanks for the insight! I'm planning on speaking to a lot of current GW students this week, hopefully that helps get even further insight. You said "the same situation as you and I"...where are you deciding between? You can PM me if you want.

ihurtmyselftoday

Postby ihurtmyselftoday » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:27 pm

gwgirl wrote:
ihurtmyselftoday wrote:

HELP!

HTH.

Thanks for the insight! I'm planning on speaking to a lot of current GW students this week, hopefully that helps get even further insight. You said "the same situation as you and I"...where are you deciding between? You can PM me if you want.

PM sent.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”