Harvard v. Columbia at sticker for elite corporate law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
NYC2013

Harvard v. Columbia at sticker for elite corporate law

Postby NYC2013 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:39 pm

I know I want to end up at a big NY law firm. I also know I like NY more than Boston. And I don't like Harvard's huge class size because I would prefer a smaller, more close-knit community for law school. I also know that despite lay prestige, Harvard hasn't placed graduates into elite firms better than Columbia in recent years. I know that's partially because more of Harvard's top students pursue academia and clerkships, but I'm interested in neither. I also don't want to have to move cities after graduation, so going to school in NY makes sense to me.

My question is whether I give up significant career prospects and prestige turning down HLS and whether I'd be crazy to pick Columbia.

Any thoughts on turning down Harvard?

booboo

Re: Harvard v. Columbia at sticker for elite corporate law

Postby booboo » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:43 pm

0L here.

Two things...

I don't think a 550 to 400 student reduction in class size is going to foster the close knit law school year that you may want. You may want to look into the 200-300 range, but that only exists at Y/S for the schools in the range that you are looking at.

Also, thought they may place similarly into biglaw, I think the prestigious firms may be willing to take more HYS candidates versus C candidates.

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:49 pm

NYC2013 wrote:I know I want to end up at a big NY law firm. I also know I like NY more than Boston. And I don't like Harvard's huge class size because I would prefer a smaller, more close-knit community for law school. I also know that despite lay prestige, Harvard hasn't placed graduates into elite firms better than Columbia in recent years. I know that's partially because more of Harvard's top students pursue academia and clerkships, but I'm interested in neither. I also don't want to have to move cities after graduation, so going to school in NY makes sense to me.

My question is whether I give up significant career prospects and prestige turning down HLS and whether I'd be crazy to pick Columbia.

You wouldn't be crazy to pick Columbia, but I personally don't recommend it. I went to law school 100% committed to a type of law, and merely a semester later, changed my mind. You say you aren't interested in clerking, but if you do really well, you may change your mind. You'd be surprised how many options are out there. If both schools are going to cost the same, you may want to hedge your bet and go to HLS.

Edit:
<----1L who picked Columbia with $$ over HLS. I too love the city.

Core

Postby Core » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:14 pm

Go to Columbia and give me your seat at HLS :)

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:20 pm

NYC2013 wrote: also know that despite lay prestige, Harvard hasn't placed graduates into elite firms better than Columbia in recent years. I know that's partially because more of Harvard's top students pursue academia and clerkships, but I'm interested in neither.

Here's a thought - did you really get into Harvard with this faulty reasoning? The reason Harvard doesn't place better in biglaw than Columbia is because its students have more options - they WANT and can get prestigious clerkships, academia, etc. The fact that you don't want those things has no bearing on whether Harvard gives you a better shot at biglaw, which it does. If you want useful statistics you have to look at the percentage at each school that wanted vs. got biglaw.

sfdreaming09

Postby sfdreaming09 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:07 pm

NYC2013 wrote:I know I want to end up at a big NY law firm. I also know I like NY more than Boston. And I don't like Harvard's huge class size because I would prefer a smaller, more close-knit community for law school. I also know that despite lay prestige, Harvard hasn't placed graduates into elite firms better than Columbia in recent years. I know that's partially because more of Harvard's top students pursue academia and clerkships, but I'm interested in neither. I also don't want to have to move cities after graduation, so going to school in NY makes sense to me.

Self-selection. Based on all the research I've done, it seems like, all else being equal (i.e. student's grades), a HYS grad will have better Biglaw options than a Columbia grad in every market, including NYC (though in NYC the difference is fairly marginal).

laurathenerd

Postby laurathenerd » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:06 am

Your 80-person section at Harvard will provide the perfect close-knit community in your 1L year :) But seriously, with your section and the organizations on campus, you'll not really think about the class size.

cboo

Postby cboo » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:30 am

Core wrote:Go to Columbia and give me your seat at HLS :)

+1!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”