Cornell (sticker) v UIUC (full ride) (Chicago preference)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Illini372

Cornell (sticker) v UIUC (full ride) (Chicago preference)

Postby Illini372 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:46 pm

I cracked that t14 barrier yesterday, (yeehaw right?) Anyway I don't really see how Ithica NY is going to be a leg up in the Chicago market after seeing UIUC's alumni network in action in the city. Plus it's a full ride in a garbage legal market at the moment. I know for some spurning the t14 is blasphemy, but Cornell at the moment is most likely the only t14 I'll be in at.
Any input would be appreciated.

jks289

Re: Cornell (sticker) v UIUC (full ride) (Chicago preference)

Postby jks289 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:50 pm

Illini372 wrote:I cracked that t14 barrier yesterday, (yeehaw right?) Anyway I don't really see how Ithica NY is going to be a leg up in the Chicago market after seeing UIUC's alumni network in action in the city. Plus it's a full ride in a garbage legal market at the moment. I know for some spurning the t14 is blasphemy, but Cornell at the moment is most likely the only t14 I'll be in at.

If you are certain you want to be in Chicago I agree Cornell isn't better than UIUC. The only question is if maybe you want to end up being more nationally mobile. If I were you I wouldn't turn down the full ride for Cornell, but I am pretty debt adverse. Congrats on both schools, though! It's a nice choice to have to make.

Z3RO

Postby Z3RO » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:53 pm

I'm worried that unless you are tip top of your class at UIUC, you won't get big law. Is the Chicago market more important to you than having a decent shot at big law (Cornell)?

Illini372

Postby Illini372 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:55 pm

jks289 wrote:
Illini372 wrote:I cracked that t14 barrier yesterday, (yeehaw right?) Anyway I don't really see how Ithica NY is going to be a leg up in the Chicago market after seeing UIUC's alumni network in action in the city. Plus it's a full ride in a garbage legal market at the moment. I know for some spurning the t14 is blasphemy, but Cornell at the moment is most likely the only t14 I'll be in at.

If you are certain you want to be in Chicago I agree Cornell isn't better than UIUC. The only question is if maybe you want to end up being more nationally mobile. If I were you I wouldn't turn down the full ride for Cornell, but I am pretty debt adverse. Congrats on both schools, though! It's a nice choice to have to make.

Thanks for the kind words, hopefully NW or Chicago can just say yes and make it a lot easier for me :)

jks289

Postby jks289 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:59 pm

Illini372 wrote:
jks289 wrote:

Thanks for the kind words, hopefully NW or Chicago can just say yes and make it a lot easier for me :)

I am languishing on Chicago's waitlist and haven't heard anything from Cornell yet. So things could be worse :).

Illini372

Postby Illini372 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:06 pm

Z3RO wrote:I'm worried that unless you are tip top of your class at UIUC, you won't get big law. Is the Chicago market more important to you than having a decent shot at big law (Cornell)?

Then I guess I'll just have to aim for that tip top eh?

Z3RO

Postby Z3RO » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:12 pm

Illini372 wrote:
Z3RO wrote:I'm worried that unless you are tip top of your class at UIUC, you won't get big law. Is the Chicago market more important to you than having a decent shot at big law (Cornell)?

Definitely, and good luck with it. I've got a friend who is at or near the top of the class there now. Very nice guy, and he comes into the city to drink with us on the weekends. It's totally doable.

I should mention that he's also planning on transferring to Chicago.

Illini372

Postby Illini372 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:51 pm

Z3RO wrote:
Illini372 wrote:

Definitely, and good luck with it. I've got a friend who is at or near the top of the class there now. Very nice guy, and he comes into the city to drink with us on the weekends. It's totally doable.

I should mention that he's also planning on transferring to Chicago.

That's interesting he's considering a transfer, honestly if I'm in really good shape it might be something to consider because NW and U of C are hands down my top two choices, I'm just being a realist at this stage in the cycle.

Postby 270910 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:33 pm

I want a pony too, but it looks like that's not happening.

Top 10% at either place and you'll have a good shot at Chicago biglaw.

If you're top quarter at Cornell, you will probably get a biglaw gig somewhere. If you are top quarter at UIUC, you might get something in Chicago, but it all but certainly won't be 'biglaw'. Think about it.

Then again, UIUC is a full ride, so you don't risk a lot of $$$$. But if you are only 'meh' on the prospect of being a lawyer, even with 0 debt a 'meh' legal job is still pretty 'meh'.

Illini372

Postby Illini372 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:33 pm

I don't really know where the 'meh' prospect of being a lawyer comes from. I'm certainly pumped about law school, my interests are actually in IP, something an excellent research university like Illinois certainly excels in. If it ends up being biglaw then great, but I've never been a biglaw or bust applicant.

Postby 270910 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:05 pm

Illini372 wrote:I don't really know where the 'meh' prospect of being a lawyer comes from. I'm certainly pumped about law school, my interests are actually in IP, something an excellent research university like Illinois certainly excels in. If it ends up being biglaw then great, but I've never been a biglaw or bust applicant.

1) Almost all of IP is biglaw

2) A school's ability as a research university has no bearing on its placement into IP programs or IP education while at the school

HTH

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:10 pm

^^^ What she said.

Also, don't discount the possibility that Cornell places better in Chicago than UIUC does ITE.

Illini372

Postby Illini372 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:49 pm

Disco based on your first comment I'd have to be top ten % in either locale to take a whiff at Chicago biglaw, so if it's finish that in either place, and UIUC is paying for my stay, it certainly helps its cause

Also, the buck doesn't stop at a law degree for a lot of IP work, more and more these days masters or doctorates in engineering, chemistry, biological sciences etc. are becoming requisite for landing IP work in large markets. An older buddy of mine at K&L Gates in Chicago went as far to say that for employees in their IP department their law degree is a less important facet of their education compared to additional expertise/ a degree in a particular science or other discipline.

dvd

Postby dvd » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:54 am

`
Last edited by dvd on Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:30 pm

rayiner wrote:Also, don't discount the possibility that Cornell places better in Chicago than UIUC does ITE.

I mean... I'd sure hope so, right? Given that he's considering paying sticker over a full ride to practice in Chicago, Cornell had better do substantially better in that city.

Edit: Word ordering was off in my haste. Apologies.
Last edited by FlightoftheEarls on Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yhezel

Postby yhezel » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:55 pm

I think that in the end you choose between two different freedoms.

1. Cornell gives you more mobility in location (You're not chained to a state you don't like because there's no opportunities elsewhere)

2. UIUC offers you financial freedom (You're not chained to a job you don't like because you NEED that huge check to pay the student loans).

I'm in a similar position and I'm leaning towards the UIUC full tuition, but I'm not sold on stayin in Illinois long term. If I were in your situation I'd be already signing a lease for an apartment in Urbana-Champaign.

In the end you will chose between two great options!

Good luck with your decision

legalease9

Postby legalease9 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:43 am

Go to illinois. The Scholarship deal gives you a financial freedom that is more than worth giving up on Cornell.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”