Final 3 decision: OSU vs Tulane vs ASU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
MSUPHL

Final 3 decision: OSU vs Tulane vs ASU

Postby MSUPHL » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:24 pm

So I have narrowed it down to those 3 schools. Tuition at OSU: 48k, Tulane : 54k, and ASU: 37k

OSU Pros:
Highest ranked school
Columbus is the only prosperous large city in Ohio right now
easy scholarship to maintain/easy to get in state
Closer to where I live now (east lansing, MI)/parents (but they might be moving to Austin or Arizona)
Lot of clerkships since it is in capital

Cons:
Climate
It is ohio and I am looking to get out of the midwest
Lack of degree mobility

Tulane Pros:
New city/region to live in
Lots of Jews!
International law program is intriguing
New Orleans saints

Cons:
price
If i dont want to work in NO, then where can i? (columbus> NO to work/raise a family IMO)

ASU Pros:
Climate obv
Price
Phoenix area seems more desirable than Columbus and NO

Cons:
Ranking
Is Arizona law's market doing well? Obv ASU degree is even less mobile than other 2 schools

Already went to OSU to visit, and going to other 2 schools within next 3 weeks. But what do you guys say?

jstn1104

Re: Final 3 decision: OSU vs Tulane vs ASU

Postby jstn1104 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:58 pm

Wait are there really a lot of Jews at Tulane? As a Jew who's probably going to Tulane, I was not aware of that. If this is the case...why?

MSUPHL

Postby MSUPHL » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:29 pm

28% undergrad is yiddin at Tulane which is a ton considering we account for liek 1.8% of the US. Im not sure why...I would guess that, similar to Michigan which is ~25%, alot of Jews from the East coast went there when there used to be quotas in the ivy league schools and that the trend still continues to this day. Also, im sure the weather/reputation of the city is appealing.

Are you going to visit New Orleans before you go? Where are you from?

jstn1104

Postby jstn1104 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:28 pm

I was in New Orleans last week for the Admitted Students Weekend. The campus is pretty awesome, and I got a good feeling from the students/professors I spoke with (specifically professor Davies, the head of the Maritime program).

I live in Chicago now, but I'm originally from south Florida and I went to college in Boston. If I end up choosing Tulane (which I'm pretty sure will be the case) I plan on flying down there the first week of June to find a place to live.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”