Boston vs. Tulane Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jstn1104

Bronze

Boston vs. Tulane

Post by jstn1104 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:19 am

I’ve basically narrowed it down to two schools and I’m having a tough time making the final decision. I need to choose between Tulane (with $25k a year) and Boston University. The idea of living in New Orleans is way more appealing to me than moving back to Boston (I went to undergrad there), and I’m intrigued by (though not necessarily deadest on) Tulane’s unique Maritime Law program. Plus the $75k is pretty tempting. On the other side of the coin…it’s Boston University. The BU admitted students event I attended earlier this week in Chicago really impressed me, but the idea of acquiring that much debt is kind of terrifying.

Any thoughts?

fuzzball

New

Re: Boston vs. Tulane

Post by fuzzball » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:04 pm

I faced the exact same choice as you. Questions to consider are what kind of job are you looking for after law school (firm or PI) and where would you be ok living long-term (New Orleans v. Boston) if that ended up being your only option once you graduated?

If you're seriously interested in maritime law, Tulane is the place to go, but most of the opportunities for summers and after graduation in maritime seem to be at firms (both small and large) in New Orleans, so it's a great option if you're interested in maritime and are also ok starting your career in New Orleans.

prolyphek

New

Post by prolyphek » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:08 pm

I actually just turned down Tulane in favor of Boston, I was really intrigued with Tulane's International Programs, but I have far better scholarships than the 25k Tulane offered me.

I would say if Maritime Law is something you are interested in and they are offering you the 25 K scholarship...take it and run!

jayare

New

Post by jayare » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:18 pm

Tulane, hands down. Given the relatively small legal market in New Orleans, I feel like the Career Services dept there has to be especially vigilant in finding employers nationally. If you don't want to be in Boston for 3 years, why go to a school whose reputation is the strongest there?

Boston also isn't that much better of a school to turn down 75k for... I mean if it was Tulane vs. a t14 sticker, I would say forget about Tulane, but for Boston?

jstn1104

Bronze

Post by jstn1104 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:57 pm

Thanks for your input. I think I’ve more or less made up my mind (Tulane), I was just looking for some confirmation that my assessment of the two options isn’t way off base.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”