Georgia State vs. Emory

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
thekingiv

Georgia State vs. Emory

Postby thekingiv » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:05 pm

Because I had a scholarship undergrad, my parents are paying the public in-state tuition for law school regardless of where I go.

So, it's either Georgia State for free or Emory with about $100k in debt?

Any advice at all is welcome!

eandy

Re: Georgia State vs. Emory

Postby eandy » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:06 pm

Can I just ask this first: why not UGA?

thekingiv

Postby thekingiv » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:13 pm

eandy wrote:Can I just ask this first: why not UGA?

Good question. UGA is a very good law school.

Honestly, I went to undergrad at UGA and have no desire to live in Athens anymore. I love Atlanta, and I think it's a better city for my (hopefully) future career- sports agent.

eandy

Postby eandy » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:16 pm

thekingiv wrote:

Honestly, I went to undergrad at UGA and have no desire to live in Athens anymore. I love Atlanta, and I think it's a better city for my (hopefully) future career- sports agent.

I would suggest Emory, then. Saying you want to be a sports agent is like saying you want to be a professional basketball player or something; there just aren't that many of them. Go to the best school you can. You'll need the boost.

Edit: semicolon overload
Last edited by eandy on Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheBigMediocre

Postby TheBigMediocre » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:18 pm

This is like deciding between ordering the $80 dollar top sirloin and the $2 dollar hot dog, when there is a $12 dollar rib-eye available but you've eaten it a few times so you don't want it again.

thekingiv

Postby thekingiv » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:21 pm

eandy wrote:
thekingiv wrote:

I would suggest Emory, then. Saying you want to be a sports agent is like saying you want to be a professional basketball player or something; there just aren't that many of them. Go to the best school you can; you'll need the boost.

I'm aware that wherever I go to law school, the networking connections I make at or apart from it are far more important than my grades or the school I graduate from.

I do feel like I'd have better networking opportunities if I attended Emory (not to mention it being a better school) since they have a much stronger alumni, but I'm not sure if it's worth sitting in a $100k hole.

Thank you for your advice. That last line is true I think.

thekingiv

Postby thekingiv » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:22 pm

TheBigMediocre wrote:This is like deciding between ordering the $80 dollar top sirloin and the $2 dollar hot dog, when there is a $12 dollar rib-eye available but you've eaten it a few times so you don't want it again.

You really think Emory is that much better than Ga. State? I'd say UGA is almost on the same level as Emory, personally. Probably even better if you want to stay in the state of Georgia.

TheBigMediocre

Postby TheBigMediocre » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:23 pm

thekingiv wrote:
TheBigMediocre wrote:This is like deciding between ordering the $80 dollar top sirloin and the $2 dollar hot dog, when there is a $12 dollar rib-eye available but you've eaten it a few times so you don't want it again.

You really think Emory is that much better than Ga. State? I'd say UGA is almost on the same level as Emory, personally. Probably even better if you want to stay in the state of Georgia.

Maybe it was harsh making GSU the hot dog. But yes I do believe that UGA and Emory are comparable and that is why I made them both excellent cuts of beef, with UGA being more reasonably priced.

thekingiv

Postby thekingiv » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:28 pm

TheBigMediocre wrote:
thekingiv wrote:

Maybe it was harsh making GSU the hot dog. But yes I do believe that UGA and Emory are comparable and that is why I made them both excellent cuts of beef, with UGA being more reasonably priced.

Yea...UGA would definitely be the most "logical". Just no desire at all to be there for 3 more years. Honestly, I doubt I'll even get in, though. I'm 3.3/164. People on here that are 3.7/167 got WL'ed.

eandy

Postby eandy » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:39 pm

thekingiv wrote:
TheBigMediocre wrote:
thekingiv wrote:

Yea...UGA would definitely be the most "logical". Just no desire at all to be there for 3 more years. Honestly, I doubt I'll even get in, though. I'm 3.3/164. People on here that are 3.7/167 got WL'ed.

Those WL'd people applied late. I'm OOS and I got in applying in late january with 3.6/164

thekingiv

Postby thekingiv » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:40 pm

eandy wrote:
thekingiv wrote:
TheBigMediocre wrote:
thekingiv wrote:You really think Emory is that much better than Ga. State? I'd say UGA is almost on the same level as Emory, personally. Probably even better if you want to stay in the state of Georgia.

Those WL'd people applied late. I'm OOS and I got in applying in late january with 3.6/164

I was late also, unfortunately.

eandy

Postby eandy » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:42 pm

thekingiv wrote:
I was late also, unfortunately.

Oh my brain forgot you applied already. I think that because it's your UG, you would be able to get off the WL without any problems. I think waitlists this year will have more admits than ever.

thekingiv

Postby thekingiv » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:18 pm

Any other thoughts on these two schools?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”