Wake Forest ($$$) v. UNC v. Alabama v. William and Mary ($)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
PirateCap'n

Wake Forest ($$$) v. UNC v. Alabama v. William and Mary ($)

Postby PirateCap'n » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:20 pm

Edited: Thanks for the votes everyone.
Last edited by PirateCap'n on Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:33 pm, edited 7 times in total.

thickfreakness

Re: Wake Forest ($$$) v. UNC v. Alabama ($$$$)

Postby thickfreakness » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:22 pm

The Alabama offer doesn't have a GPA or class rank stipulation? I thought most of their offers carried that with them, as well.

It sounds like WF is the best option for you right now, especially since you want to work in NC (particularly in smaller markets). I just don't see Alabama giving you a placement edge in any conceivable way in smaller NC/SC markets over Wake or UNC. The significant other thing is important, but I'd caution you about giving that a ton of weight in your decision unless you're engaged, married, or otherwise committed long term. Law school is incredibly stressful and it drastically changes the dynamics of all your personal relationships. In this case, however, it looks like the option that will leave you close to your SO also carries the best opportunity for landing a good job. I think Alabama could get you back to NC/SC, but it would require a lot more legwork on your part than if you just went to Wake.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:33 pm

Without UNC money, Wake is probably your best bet. Top 2/3 isn't as onerous as other GPA requirements I've seen. Going to Alabama isn't gonna do you any great things for you in NC.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:45 pm

thickfreakness wrote:The Alabama offer doesn't have a GPA or class rank stipulation? I thought most of their offers carried that with them, as well.

It sounds like WF is the best option for you right now, especially since you want to work in NC (particularly in smaller markets). I just don't see Alabama giving you a placement edge in any conceivable way in smaller NC/SC markets over Wake or UNC. The significant other thing is important, but I'd caution you about giving that a ton of weight in your decision unless you're engaged, married, or otherwise committed long term. Law school is incredibly stressful and it drastically changes the dynamics of all your personal relationships. In this case, however, it looks like the option that will leave you close to your SO also carries the best opportunity for landing a good job. I think Alabama could get you back to NC/SC, but it would require a lot more legwork on your part than if you just went to Wake.

The Alabama offer requires only that I maintain a 2.5 GPA (i.e. stay in good standing). As for the significant other -- might as well be engaged, so I'm treating it that way. Looks like WFU is the big leader right now. If you have an opinion, feel free to vote and tell me on here too.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:37 am

Would the opinions be different if UNC did offer scholarship money?

SweeneyTodd

Postby SweeneyTodd » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:47 am

PirateCap'n wrote:Would the opinions be different if UNC did offer scholarship money?

Do you have NC residency? If so I think UNC may come out less expensive than Wake so in that case I'd say UNC. If UNC doesn't give you money to become less expensive than Wake, I say Wake. (IMO, your situation comes down to money between Wake and UNC..no to Alabama). Agree with above poster, top 100 out of 150 doesn't seem as difficult as some of the other scholarship requirements I've come across.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:51 am

SweeneyTodd wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:Would the opinions be different if UNC did offer scholarship money?

Do you have NC residency? If so I think UNC may come out less expensive than Wake so in that case I'd say UNC. If UNC doesn't give you money to become less expensive than Wake, I say Wake. (IMO, your situation comes down to money between Wake and UNC..no to Alabama). Agree with above poster, top 100 out of 150 doesn't seem as difficult as some of the other scholarship requirements I've come across.

Yes. I'm an NC resident, but I'm figuring the costs mentioned above for UNC for being a resident.

SweeneyTodd

Postby SweeneyTodd » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:01 am

PirateCap'n wrote:
SweeneyTodd wrote:

Yes. I'm an NC resident, but I'm figuring the costs mentioned above for UNC for being a resident.

I see now. I made an incorrect assumption that your figure above was tuition only as an OOS student. I still say Wake unless UNC comes out less expensive.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:35 am

Come on everyone. I know you guys are thinking something. Obviously, Wake is getting the majority of the votes, but tell me what you think.

jss1100

Postby jss1100 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:03 am

Im having to make a similar decision between UNC and Wake. Despite the most recent nlj placement stats favoring Wake I think I am pretty settled on UNC which historically has placed better than Wake. A big factor for me also is location as I prefer being in Chapel Hill, next to Raleigh, and close enough to Wilmington to drive down on weekends.

Wake's scholarship offer and most recent placement stats have made me think more heavily on the issue though where as I would have previously just went with UNC without looking back.

soullesswonder

Postby soullesswonder » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:32 am

I voted for Wake, but with 7500k/yr in $ from UNC I would switch my vote. I think the only thing I can say with confidence is "Don't go to Bama". It doesn't appear to fit your plans and it doesn't save you enough money.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:49 pm

Edited the original post to reflect a William and Mary scholarship. Anyone think it would be better at $100,000 total cost than the NC schools?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”