Cornell vs Arizona ($$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Adrian_8am

Cornell vs Arizona ($$)

Postby Adrian_8am » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:20 pm

Hello guys,

I just received an email from Arizona offering of $12,000/yr. scholarship (and I will pay in state tuition). Therefore I will only have a debt of 24k when I graduate.

At Cornell, I will have a debt of 200k (Tuition plus rent and living expenses)...

Is Cornell worth 176k of debt... any insight is appreciated...

I do not have a preference for working at any city, I will probably become a tax lawyer (accounting major)...

Thanks!

starsong

Re: Cornell vs Arizona ($$)

Postby starsong » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:42 pm

Cornell. You will have many, many more professional opportunities. Don't let the debt scare you--remember, IBR can significantly reduce debt payments if you end up with a lower-income job.

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:12 am

Adrian_8am wrote:Hello guys,

I just received an email from Arizona offering of $12,000/yr. scholarship (and I will pay in state tuition). Therefore I will only have a debt of 24k when I graduate.

At Cornell, I will have a debt of 200k (Tuition plus rent and living expenses)...

Is Cornell worth 176k of debt... any insight is appreciated...

I do not have a preference for working at any city, I will probably become a tax lawyer (accounting major)...

Thanks!

Cornell without hesitation.

Adrian_8am

Postby Adrian_8am » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:48 am

Thank you, appreciate the insight...

Do you know if Cornell offers financial assistance, other than by need... Most likely I won't receive grants...

Should I email Cornell stating that I have been receiving financial assistance from other universities?

Thanks!

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:21 pm

Adrian_8am wrote:Thank you, appreciate the insight...

Do you know if Cornell offers financial assistance, other than by need... Most likely I won't receive grants...

Should I email Cornell stating that I have been receiving financial assistance from other universities?

Thanks!

Yes, Cornell does give both need- and merit-based aid. It definitely wouldn't hurt to let them know that other schools have given you money. If you're seeking only merit-based aid, though, then they'll probably only take into consideration the money you've received from peer schools (basically, T14, UT, and UCLA). Worth a shot regardless though. Good luck.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”