(Almost) Decision Time!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Help me decide?

UMiami
52%
Loyola-LA
37%
Northeastern
11%

Total votes: 27

J-tow10

(Almost) Decision Time!

Postby J-tow10 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:20 pm

Ok, so here we go. Thus far, my choices are UMiami, Loyola-LA, and Northeastern. I’ve considered for several weeks now weather to take a year off and re-take the LSAT, but I think going to law school this year is best for me. I’m still on several WLs (see profile) and waiting to hear back from a few more schools, but with seat deposits and ASWs coming up, I need to at least make a preliminary decision. Since law school is such a big investment, I want to make an informed decision so I can attend the school with the highest return on my investment.

Me:
-No SO or strong familial ties outside my home state.
-I’m content with living in/starting my career in the city/region I go to school
-Weather not a factor

After calculating the total cost of attendance for 3 years, plus loan repayment all 3 schools are fairly equal. I’m really at a loss here so any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance!
Last edited by J-tow10 on Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:09 am, edited 3 times in total.

Sauer Grapes

Re: (Almost) Decision Time!

Postby Sauer Grapes » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:32 pm

J-tow10 wrote:Ok, so here we go. Thus far, my choices are UMiami, Loyola-LA, and Northeastern. I’ve considered for several weeks now weather to take a year off and re-take the LSAT, but I think going to law school this year is best for me.

Please tell us whether or not weather is a factor.

J-tow10

Postby J-tow10 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:35 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:Please tell us whether or not weather is a factor.

Not a factor (live in Michigan)

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:39 pm

Just as you thoughtfully outlined the pros/cons to each of your option schools, thoughtfully restudy and retake the lsat

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:53 pm

miamiman wrote:Just as you thoughtfully outlined the pros/cons to each of your option schools, thoughtfully restudy and retake the lsat

I agree. Unless your career aspirations don't include being employed, study and retake.

J-tow10

Postby J-tow10 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:19 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:
miamiman wrote:Just as you thoughtfully outlined the pros/cons to each of your option schools, thoughtfully restudy and retake the lsat

I agree. Unless your career aspirations don't include being employed, study and retake.

I've thought about doing so a lot, but going this year is a better option for me right now.

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:24 pm

Well, then. If going to law school you must, and miami the best option, let me say this:

1. I live in miami.
2. My parent is a partner at a big miami firm
3. She went to miami and grd'd magna
4. Unless you're top 10% at miami, you will strike out for big firms.

I care about you too much to do this to yourself - and I don't even know you. Miami is horribly oversaturated. Either be cool if u strike out or retake the lsat but don't complain if/when shit gets bad.

J-tow10

Postby J-tow10 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:18 am

miamiman wrote:Well, then. If going to law school you must, and miami the best option, let me say this:

1. I live in miami.
2. My parent is a partner at a big miami firm
3. She went to miami and grd'd magna
4. Unless you're top 10% at miami, you will strike out for big firms.

I care about you too much to do this to yourself - and I don't even know you. Miami is horribly oversaturated. Either be cool if u strike out or retake the lsat but don't complain if/when shit gets bad.

I know and completely understand. I really do appreciate the honest feedback and advice from other TLSers. Though I vacillate between attending this fall and re-taking, the latter just seems like a very depressing option. There is nothing else in this world I would rather do other than be a lawyer. I know this sounds cliche, but it's what I have always wanted to do. Sorry for the rambling, but I just wanted be clear about my ambitions. Fortunately, there are still several weeks until seat deposits are due so I do have some time to think about it.

J-tow10

Postby J-tow10 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:43 pm

Also, if people could explain their choice that would be helpful too.

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:12 pm

J-tow10 wrote:Also, if people could explain their choice that would be helpful too.

bro, several of us have told you the same thing. you can find others who will validate what you want to hear, but i think the TCR is to retake the lsat.

mhernton

Postby mhernton » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:16 pm

Go to the 'U'

I won't get into the obvious about south beach, and hotties etc, because that is irrelevant, Boston has a very high number of college aged women that are hot, and well LA is obvious. This decision has more to do with what you want to do afterward. If your interested in the entertainment industry LA is your answer. If you want into Biotech its Boston, Miami has tourism and other industries. So do a little research on all of these things and see what piques your legal interent.

If its a toss up after that keep this in mind. In LA your competing directly with UCLA, USC, Pepperdine, Stanford, Berkeley, Davis, and numerous other grads of California Law Schools Converging on LA. USD is in San Diego, LA Verne in the Inland Empire, SouthWestern owns the Public Service Segment. Loyola-LA is an also ran in the city where winners got into UCLA and USC.

NorthEastern Grads get the left overs from Harvard, Yale, Columbia, NYU, and a host of other looking for employment in Boston. The other issue is there is a major law school in every major city on the east coast. I wouldn't go to a school where I had to compete with the Heavyweights for a job at the end unless I could see in to the future and know that I graduated in the top 5% of the class.

Miami is the Heavyweight in South Florida. They have to compete with UofF and the Tim Tebow Disciples, and FSU. There are other minor players, but you would have the advantage of proximity in Miami to get started. FIU, St. Mary's and a the others are the also rans in Miami, employers looking for interns will come to the 'U' Law school first.

Oh yeah they have a football team and hotties too....

Return to “Choosing a Law School”