Next Year's Living Situation

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
sternc

Next Year's Living Situation

Postby sternc » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:09 pm

What are you plans for a living situation next year? Do most 1Ls live alone, with roommates or what? I always figured I'd live with some other 1Ls, especially considering i've never lived with less than 4 other people, but it seems a lot of people live alone. If you are going to have a roommate, how do you go about finding one?

Charles Barkley

Re: Next Year's Living Situation

Postby Charles Barkley » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:09 pm

I will be living alone.

eandy

Postby eandy » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:12 pm

Georgia, and I imagine other schools do the same, collects info of students looking for roommates and puts it all on a page. That way you can look for people.
I plan on living with 1-2 roommate(s). That way I can afford to live in a newer, nicer place within walking distance of campus.

phoenix323

Postby phoenix323 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:13 pm

sternc wrote:What are you plans for a living situation next year? Do most 1Ls live alone, with roommates or what? I always figured I'd live with some other 1Ls, especially considering i've never lived with less than 4 other people, but it seems a lot of people live alone. If you are going to have a roommate, how do you go about finding one?

bump

I REALLY want to live alone, but I am concerned about the cost of doing so. I am a very private person and the thought of living with some random person who might turn out to be crazy or just generally incompatible with me is terrifying.

How are others going about finding roommates? Especially is coming from out of state?

GatorBait09

Postby GatorBait09 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:47 pm

Living with another 1L is probably a bad idea unless you really really trust them.

eandy

Postby eandy » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:48 pm

GatorBait09 wrote:Living with another 1L is probably a bad idea unless you really really trust them.

Why? I'm intrigued. Explain.

GatorBait09

Postby GatorBait09 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:16 pm

eandy wrote:
GatorBait09 wrote:Living with another 1L is probably a bad idea unless you really really trust them.

Competition. I've heard of people giving false notes, tearing pages out of books, deleting computer files, and anything else that can get them to the top of the class.

eandy

Postby eandy » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:19 pm

GatorBait09 wrote:
eandy wrote:

Competition. I've heard of people giving false notes, tearing pages out of books, deleting computer files, and anything else that can get them to the top of the class.

Oh, I always keep my stuff locked up to where my roommates can't access it.I've gone so far as to keep pots and pans in my bedroom closet. One bad roommate experience is all it takes.

That's an interesting idea, though. It's not something I had considered really. Just the standard roommate thinking it's ok to borrow things/snoop problem.

Knock

Postby Knock » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:53 am

GatorBait09 wrote:
eandy wrote:

Really? wouldn't you want to form an alliance with them? I imagine having a small, close group of people that work for the benefit of everyone in that group would enable everyone to do better than anyone of them could alone. And its not as if one or two people is going to mess with the curve :lol:

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:01 am

I'll be looking for a couple of other random 1L's to room with next year, i'm going to maintain blissful hope that people at upper tier law schools are generally better people as a whole.

Knock

Postby Knock » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:05 am

adh07d wrote:I'll be looking for a couple of other random 1L's to room with next year, i'm going to maintain blissful hope that people at upper tier law schools are generally better people as a whole.

I agree. I imagine that living with someone who is going through 1L with you would be invaluable, especially if you get sick.

basicgrey7

Postby basicgrey7 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:06 am

I'd want to live with someone because I am terrified to live by myself. Wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

Unadilla Kayaker

Postby Unadilla Kayaker » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:31 am

I'm just more productive when there is someone else around. Usually it means me going to the library to get work done, but it also means not sleeping the days away on the weekends or watching tons of TV. I think its a good idea and I'll wager I have roommate stories that make the top 10 worst on TLS. But I know many people like living alone during law school, and at some places the cost isn't that much different.

oberlin08

Postby oberlin08 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:34 am

If I'm not living with a close friend (who isnt in LS with me) then I'll pay extra to live alone. Especially during 1L year, i think it's important for me to do this.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”