Stetson vs UF - about a week to decide

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
redvelvetccake

Stetson vs UF - about a week to decide

Postby redvelvetccake » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:43 pm

I need complete, brutal honesty here please.

Full ride plus living stipend from Stetson - must be in top 40%
UF - $8K a year, must maintain 3.2 GPA - in state tuition

I am primarily interested in going into the public sector. Have absolutely no problem with living anywhere in Florida but Miami. Already withdrew from all but one other school I have been accepted to. Still waiting on responses from five more schools, four of which are higher ranked than UF, one t14. UF wants me to withdraw applications from all other schools if I accept the offer. I was originally planning on submitting Stetson's enrollment confirmation (deposit was waived so losing $500 was not a concern) and then sitting on the UF decision until around five days before their deadline in May. However, I received the scholarship offer from UF today and the deadline to accept is April 1st. I have visited UF before and am visiting Stetson this weekend, but I just still feel that I'm going to be completely torn.

Absolutely any input is appreciated. Thanks!

lawschoolstudent85

Re: Stetson vs UF - about a week to decide

Postby lawschoolstudent85 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:46 pm

/
Last edited by lawschoolstudent85 on Tue May 11, 2010 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 98234872348 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:54 pm

redvelvetccake wrote:I need complete, brutal honesty here please.

Full ride plus living stipend from Stetson - must be in top 40%
UF - $8K a year, must maintain 3.2 GPA - in state tuition

I am primarily interested in going into the public sector. Have absolutely no problem with living anywhere in Florida but Miami. Already withdrew from all but one other school I have been accepted to. Still waiting on responses from five more schools, four of which are higher ranked than UF, one t14. UF wants me to withdraw applications from all other schools if I accept the offer. I was originally planning on submitting Stetson's enrollment confirmation (deposit was waived so losing $500 was not a concern) and then sitting on the UF decision until around five days before their deadline in May. However, I received the scholarship offer from UF today and the deadline to accept is April 1st. I have visited UF before and am visiting Stetson this weekend, but I just still feel that I'm going to be completely torn.

Absolutely any input is appreciated. Thanks!

That GPA requirement on stetson is very steep bro, I wouldn't bank on being top 40% at any school. I'd advise against attending Stetson unless you're absolutely sure you'd be comfortable paying 5/6 semesters at full price.

at UF 3.2 is ~median so that's a slightly better offer, still, gpa contingencies in law school are bad in general. I am actually pretty ashamed that my school is offering gpa contingent scholarships, that's pretty poor form. Anyways UF is a better school (I guess, though in this economy that kind of goes out the window) and with in state tuition, even if you lose your scholarship you'll be paying substantially less than if you lose it at Stetson.

I'd chose UF without a second thought, btw.

wh3931110

Postby wh3931110 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:16 pm

I would go UF, I agree that the GPA requirement seems too risky with Stetson to push it above UF

ace0260

Postby ace0260 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:19 pm

I think UF is worth the 20k tuition difference.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:19 pm

I disagree that top 40% at stetson will be hard to maintain. If you have good writing skills, are a quick learner, have a good memory, and a strong work ethic you should have no trouble being top 40% there.

On the other hand though, I have heard that lower ranked schools tend to be the most competitive since so many people are trying to transfer, so perhaps my experience at a mid T1 doesn't apply.

Bulls

Postby Bulls » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:22 pm

Call stetson and tell them what you are going through and be honest about your offer from UF. Ask for them to remove the GPA requirements. It can't hurt you and they might just say yes.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:24 pm

Stetson

Most scholarships aren't completely revoked if you fail to meet the req. so youd end up having only half of the scholarship for one semester while you get the chance to right ship and earn the whole thing again before they take it away completely. Ask Stetson about this.

I'm not understanding why someone would tell a person who definitely wants to live in Fla. to pass up a full ride plus living stipend because of the difference between top 40% and top 50%.
Last edited by Aqualibrium on Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:25 pm

Bulls wrote:Call stetson and tell them what you are going through and be honest about your offer from UF. Ask for them to remove the GPA requirements. It can't hurt you and they might just say yes.

Exactly...hell just ask em to lower it.

GatorBait09

Postby GatorBait09 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:30 pm

Honestly this should be a no-brainer, especially if you want to stay in Florida. Unless you have a specifically ardent passion for elder law, you should choose UF. I'm not trying to be a prick, but Stetson doesn't really compare no matter the free tuition. Consider the $20k an extremely wise investment.

And my decision deadline for UF is 5/15, are you sure about 4/1? I have to accept my scholarship by 4/1, but seat deposit and decision are due on 5/15. Also, I don't think they require you to withdraw from your other offers. Maybe it's different for different people, but I just reread my papers.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:47 pm

To the people who are picking UF:

Lets reevaluate things without knowing the names of the schools or their US news rankings. If I said to you: I am trying to decide between school X and school Y, both of which are located in state z.

School X has offered me: full tuition and stipend top 40% req

School Y has offered me: 8k top 50% req leaving 20k a year in tuition + whatever living expenses will be

Both schools are regarded well enough in state z, but Y's reputation is much better regionally. I want to work/live/spend the rest of my life in state z, and I understand that ITE there aren't really any guarantees re:job prospects.

Do you advise that I take the free schooling or take on the debt?

GatorStudent

Postby GatorStudent » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:48 pm

(In the interest of full disclosure, I go to UF, just so you know.)

I agree with the others who stated that you should see if Stetson is willing to drop the GPA requirement, or at least make it "easier." Some schools will bite, but many won't (since they figure they will "regain" some money when people lose their scholarships, sadly). They obviously like you a lot with the package they're offering you, so I don't think it would hurt. Make sure to explain clearly why.

40% is not a guarantee at any school, but neither is median at UF. To be sure, most people get B's here, but like any forced curve, there is are many losers too....

I think you really need to think about a few things:

1) If you don't keep the Stetson scholarship, you're going to owe a lot of money in tuition for years two and three, IIRC. Compare that to what you would owe at UF if you lost your scholarship. My guess is that the Stetson debt-number is much higher, but I could be wrong.

2) Stetson does do well in the Tampa area, but as you stated, you're not set on where you want to be. UF will give you much more mobility, so you need to think if that's important to you.

3) You also cite that you want to go into the "public sector." That's a very general phrase, but I can tell you right now that debt is VERY important to consider if you want to do this. It's amazing how low the salaries are for many of these jobs. At the same time, many people say they want to go into the public sector, and very quickly change their minds in law school. (Ditto for public interest jobs.) But if they drop/lower the GPA requirement, and you're positive you want public sector work, Stetson may be the better choice.

Let us know what you do! Good luck!

GatorStudent

Postby GatorStudent » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:51 pm

hombredulce wrote:To the people who are picking UF:

Lets reevaluate things without knowing the names of the schools or their US news rankings. If I said to you: I am trying to decide between school X and school Y, both of which are located in state z.

School Y has offered me: 8k top 50% req leaving 20k a year in tuition + whatever living expenses will be

Both schools are regarded well enough in state z, but Y's reputation is much better regionally. I want to work/live/spend the rest of my life in state z, and I understand that ITE there aren't really any guarantees re:job prospects.

I think you make a good point, but I think you're misunderstanding a material fact in the OP. UF seems to be giving him 8k per year--and he'll have in-state tuition. In-state tuition is only 14k at UF, last time I checked. So he'd only owe 6k in tuition if he kept the scholarship, and he'd have to pay for housing (which is cheap in Gainesville). Stetson's tuition is 25k or so, IIRC.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:55 pm

GatorStudent wrote:

I think you make a good point, but I think you're misunderstanding a material fact in the OP. UF seems to be giving him 8k per year--and he'll have in-state tuition. In-state tuition is only 14k at UF, last time I checked. So he'd only owe 6k in tuition if he kept the scholarship, and he'd have to pay for housing (which is cheap in Gainesville). Stetson's tuition is 25k or so, IIRC.

ah! Well if OP really would only be paying 8k+living expenses Florida is the better choice here...heck I'd ask UF to see if they could offer even 1 or 2k more per year...maybe a book stipend?

GatorStudent

Postby GatorStudent » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:01 pm

hombredulce wrote:ah! Well if OP really would only be paying 8k+living expenses Florida is the better choice here...heck I'd ask UF to see if they could offer even 1 or 2k more per year...maybe a book stipend?

It's hard to say. I don't know much about their scholarship offers, but my guess is that they may be stingy since they already know how cheap UF is for an in-stater!

GatorBait09

Postby GatorBait09 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:14 pm

Take the debt because you're leaving out the part about School Y having a much better reputation and job placement in the state that the OP wants to practice than School X.

Again I'm not trying to bash Stetson, it's just that there's really no comparison (especially in state) with UF. And considering the OP's numbers and female URM status, Stetson should not even be on her radar anymore. It was a great pick for a safety, but she's getting into significantly better schools.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:43 pm

UF grads are getting hammered ITE, but Stetson is getting it way worse. As a Stetson grad, you will work in Tampa/St. Pete for likely a long time after you get your first job, and may in fact never move. The Tampa/St. Pete market is in the toilet, which is unfortunate, because this is Stetson's primary market. And even there, UF and FSU grads will likely get hired ahead of you. Do yourself a favor, pay the extra money to go to the best school in the state, as opposed to the best school in the Tampa Bay area. Worst case scenario, you lose your UF scholarship and pay in-state. Or, you graduate from Stetson and have a miserable time finding a job, or even worse, you can lose your scholarship and then be marginally employed and in debt.

The only way I would even consider the Stetson money is if they take away the GPA requirements. Even then, I'd probably still pay in-state at UF. You will open up considerably more possibilities by doing so.

redvelvetccake

Postby redvelvetccake » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:16 pm

GatorBait09 wrote:Honestly this should be a no-brainer, especially if you want to stay in Florida. Unless you have a specifically ardent passion for elder law, you should choose UF. I'm not trying to be a prick, but Stetson doesn't really compare no matter the free tuition. Consider the $20k an extremely wise investment.

And my decision deadline for UF is 5/15, are you sure about 4/1? I have to accept my scholarship by 4/1, but seat deposit and decision are due on 5/15. Also, I don't think they require you to withdraw from your other offers. Maybe it's different for different people, but I just reread my papers.

I actually wasn't sure about this so I emailed them earlier today to ask but they have not gotten back to me yet.

Thank you for all the input everyone! Honestly, I think long term I would be better off going to UF. However, if they do require me to withdraw my other applications by April 1st then I am going to have to pass on it because for sure my three highest ranked wont give me a decision by then. Thanks a lot again!

redvelvetccake

Postby redvelvetccake » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:13 am

redvelvetccake wrote:
GatorBait09 wrote:Honestly this should be a no-brainer, especially if you want to stay in Florida. Unless you have a specifically ardent passion for elder law, you should choose UF. I'm not trying to be a prick, but Stetson doesn't really compare no matter the free tuition. Consider the $20k an extremely wise investment.

I actually wasn't sure about this so I emailed them earlier today to ask but they have not gotten back to me yet.

Thank you for all the input everyone! Honestly, I think long term I would be better off going to UF. However, if they do require me to withdraw my other applications by April 1st then I am going to have to pass on it because for sure my three highest ranked wont give me a decision by then. Thanks a lot again!

Just got a call from them. I have to accept, enroll and withdraw other apps by April 1st. My other option is to not accept the scholarship so that I could have until May 15th to decide.

xanderdellus

Postby xanderdellus » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:41 pm

UF for 8 Grand. You will make up the cost difference in 3 years even in the public sector.

redvelvetccake

Postby redvelvetccake » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:41 pm

Well, UF tuition is expected to go up about 15% every year. I was at Stetson yesterday and I asked about how difficult it was to stay in the top 40% and apparently about a 3.0 is the general average and only one person in the last few years has lost the scholarship and this was after receiving a lot of support from the school to try to help them out. Guess I'll let everyone know in a week.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”