Where should Loyola LA really be ranked? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bconly

New

Where should Loyola LA really be ranked?

Post by bconly » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:38 pm

Everybody (all LA-based attorneys) that I have talked to says LLS should CERTAINLY be ahead of Pepperdine; they all agree it should be right around UC Hastings and Davis, based on their quality of education and placement opportunities. What do you guys think?

jonnodotsg

New

Re: Where should Loyola LA really be ranked?

Post by jonnodotsg » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:40 pm

Last edited by jonnodotsg on Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:41 pm

bconly wrote:Everybody (all LA-based attorneys) that I have talked to says LLS should CERTAINLY be ahead of Pepperdine; they all agree it should be right around UC Hastings and Davis, based on their quality of education and placement opportunities. What do you guys think?
Did they attend LLS?

bconly

New

Post by bconly » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:44 pm

SwollenMonkey wrote:
bconly wrote:Everybody (all LA-based attorneys) that I have talked to says LLS should CERTAINLY be ahead of Pepperdine; they all agree it should be right around UC Hastings and Davis, based on their quality of education and placement opportunities. What do you guys think?
Did they attend LLS?
No:

3 UCLA
1 USC
1 Hastings
1 Harvard
1 Southwestern

charlesjd

Bronze

Post by charlesjd » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:47 pm

We all know there are underrated schools because of the USNWR methodology. Loyola could very well be underrated, even a better school than Pepperdine.

Go look at the other rankings and see where LA is. LA likes "mature" and "talented" applicants according to the interview in their profile. Since they don't drive up their numbers, that may be the result. The LSAT is a sufficient indicator of success in first year, but not a necessary. So Loyola could be an awesome school graduating awesome "super" lawyers, but there is no way to measure that for rankings. So they could be underrated in rankings, or not, idk. We should take a hint from dentists. Only 56 accredited schools and they don't allow rankings. If the law school was like that we would actually have a much more prestigious profession. Even if it was just the top 100 schools that existed and were accredited. All these TTT and TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT schools are ridiculous. Really J. Brennan??? Cooley??? (blatant cooley trolling)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:06 pm

I actually made a thread about this earlier.

It seems that, on TLS at least, Loyola gets a lot of attention despite it seeming to be a peer school of SCU/USD/USF(kinda).

What is quantifiable about their reputation that makes them underrated? Is it just the fact that they graduate a lot of students, and that it's just in the odds that there are going to be more alumni that achieve good things?

yo!

Silver

Post by yo! » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:13 pm

charlesjd wrote:
We all know there are underrated schools because of the USNWR methodology. Loyola could very well be underrated, even a better school than Pepperdine.

Go look at the other rankings and see where LA is. LA likes "mature" and "talented" applicants according to the interview in their profile. Since they don't drive up their numbers, that may be the result. The LSAT is a sufficient indicator of success in first year, but not a necessary. So Loyola could be an awesome school graduating awesome "super" lawyers, but there is no way to measure that for rankings. So they could be underrated in rankings, or not, idk. We should take a hint from dentists. Only 56 accredited schools and they don't allow rankings. If the law school was like that we would actually have a much more prestigious profession. Even if it was just the top 100 schools that existed and were accredited. All these TTT and TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT schools are ridiculous. Really J. Brennan??? Cooley??? (blatant cooley trolling)
lulz

saltoftheearth

Bronze

Post by saltoftheearth » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:30 pm

yo! wrote:
charlesjd wrote:

lulz
ah, beat me to it

bconly

New

Post by bconly » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:35 pm

Great Satchmo wrote:I actually made a thread about this earlier.

It seems that, on TLS at least, Loyola gets a lot of attention despite it seeming to be a peer school of SCU/USD/USF(kinda).

What is quantifiable about their reputation that makes them underrated? Is it just the fact that they graduate a lot of students, and that it's just in the odds that there are going to be more alumni that achieve good things?
That is probably the only quantifiable thing; most of what I'm talking about here is completely qualitative. For instance, one of the UCLA grads that I talked to (now in his 50's, former hiring partner at Gibson Dunn), said that Loyola is the best at teaching students "how to be lawyers" than any other school in LA (his alma matter included).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

OneKnight

Bronze

Post by OneKnight » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:38 pm

It's because they give out beaucoup bucks!!!
It's all about the benjamins (and pentiums:P), baby

beef wellington

Silver

Post by beef wellington » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:40 pm

http://www.leiterrankings.com/jobs/2003 ... onal.shtml

From what I've read on these forums they place well into LA biglaw, better than any school outside the T14 except UCLA and USC. I also get the impression that the degree isn't worth that much outside of LA. USNWR outside of the T17 is of pretty limited utility as all the remaining schools are basically regional. If you want LA then Loyola is a great choice. If not, find your preferred market's version of Loyola.

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:46 pm

beef wellington wrote:

From what I've read on these forums they place well into LA biglaw, better than any school outside the T14 except UCLA and USC. I also get the impression that the degree isn't worth that much outside of LA. USNWR outside of the T17 is of pretty limited utility as all the remaining schools are basically regional. If you want LA then Loyola is a great choice. If not, find your preferred market's version of Loyola.
Well, that's kinda my point.

It seems that Loyola does how those other schools do in their respective markets. It's not above and beyond and it's not worse. They are all about equitable.

Now, if we're talking within LA, and comparing it to Pepperdine - that's a useful comparison.

I guess that's what I was searching for. If someone had a 51/49 preference for Nor Cal vs. So Cal, and they had to choose between SCU and Loyola...all else being equal, you choose SCU because that's where you'd rather work. There isn't some reason, such as Loyola's placement being that much better, to go with. Right?

beef wellington

Silver

Post by beef wellington » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:55 pm

Great Satchmo wrote:
beef wellington wrote:

Well, that's kinda my point.

It seems that Loyola does how those other schools do in their respective markets. It's not above and beyond and it's not worse. They are all about equitable.

Now, if we're talking within LA, and comparing it to Pepperdine - that's a useful comparison.

I guess that's what I was searching for. If someone had a 51/49 preference for Nor Cal vs. So Cal, and they had to choose between SCU and Loyola...all else being equal, you choose SCU because that's where you'd rather work. There isn't some reason, such as Loyola's placement being that much better, to go with. Right?
I couldn't say for sure, but I suspect SCU places better in NorCal. If you're asking about the Pepperdine comparison, Loyola destroys them in the firm Leiter looks at, although it is only one firm.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:06 pm

beef wellington wrote: I couldn't say for sure, but I suspect SCU places better in NorCal. If you're asking about the Pepperdine comparison, Loyola destroys them in the firm Leiter looks at, although it is only one firm.
You mean that SCU places better in Nor Cal than Loyola does in Nor Cal? Or do you mean, relatively, SCU places better in Nor Cal (specifically it places into the South Bay) than Loyola does into LA?

I'm curious because just because Loyola is a school I was accepted to, but haven't really looked into. I've never really considered living in LA, as I grew up in San Diego and have lived in the Bay Area for a number of years.

Anyhow, it's mostly something I just want to know because I see a lot of discussion about LLS, and I was wondering why there is "hype". I suspect that it's the large number of graduates that are unleashed on a large market from a decent school.

beef wellington

Silver

Post by beef wellington » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:10 pm

Great Satchmo wrote:
beef wellington wrote: I couldn't say for sure, but I suspect SCU places better in NorCal. If you're asking about the Pepperdine comparison, Loyola destroys them in the firm Leiter looks at, although it is only one firm.
You mean that SCU places better in Nor Cal than Loyola does in Nor Cal? Or do you mean, relatively, SCU places better in Nor Cal (specifically it places into the South Bay) than Loyola does into LA?

I'm curious because just because Loyola is a school I was accepted to, but haven't really looked into. I've never really considered living in LA, as I grew up in San Diego and have lived in the Bay Area for a number of years.

Anyhow, it's mostly something I just want to know because I see a lot of discussion about LLS, and I was wondering why there is "hype". I suspect that it's the large number of graduates that are unleashed on a large market from a decent school.
I meant SCU > LLS for NorCal, but again, this purely speculation based on what I've gleaned from these forums. I have no idea how SCU's NorCal placement compares to LLS's LA placement.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”