Non-Texas natives at disadvantage going to U Texas?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
iShotFirst

Non-Texas natives at disadvantage going to U Texas?

Postby iShotFirst » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:17 pm

Snooker wrote:Being a native of Texas also gives you a BIG advantage for finding jobs.

So reading this, it makes me a bit scared to NOT be a Texas native and go to UT. I know that Texas is a state where natives are very much appreciated, but are there still good opportunities for people who are not natives that would like to settle there? I don’t have ties to any region or state.

My wife’s family lives in Austin, but they are immigrants (although blended in by marriage to Texans). This is a big reason I (and she!) would like for me to go to UT. In addition I really want to get into Energy and Oil law. But if I’m going to get supplanted by possibly a lower ranked person because of Texas native status, or if non-Texas natives are frozen out of some of the opportunities (like in Oil or Government), I might have second thoughts.

Any opinions?
Last edited by iShotFirst on Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

berkeleykel06

Re: Non-Texas natives at disadvantage going to U Texas?

Postby berkeleykel06 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:36 pm

I can definitely see why Texas firms would favor UT grads over grads from schools like UCLA when hiring, but as far as actually looking at your place of origin, I really can't imagine that plays much of a factor, or at least not enough of a factor for you to be worried about it.

iShotFirst

Postby iShotFirst » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:03 pm

Edited out the UCLA stuff because I just found that in another thread and its not relevant.

Thanks for the reply, and I hope thats true. I have heard it from a few other people though, but I figure, as long as I want to live and settle in Texas, it should be ok right? Not having "ties" to any region or market looks like it may be a disadvantage to me at the end of my schooling though.

yournamehere

Postby yournamehere » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:05 pm

if your in-laws are from austin, you're all set as far as 'Texas ties' goes.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”