Merit vs. Lottery OCI System

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Jericwithers

Merit vs. Lottery OCI System

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:01 pm

I was thinking maybe we can compile a list of how schools do their OCI. I had never heard of a lottery system before my first ASD, but I want to see how common it is and see what schools do and do not do this. Post what information you have, thanks!

5. NYU: 100% Lotto (Unconfirmed)
13. Cornell: 100% Lotto (Unsure of Cutoffs)
15. Texas: 70% Merit 30% Lotto (Top 50%, Top 25% Cutoffs)
15. UCLA: 100% Lotto (GPA Cutoffs 3.0-3.3)

Kohinoor

Re: Merit vs. Lottery OCI System

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:05 pm

UVA is the only T14 that runs a pre-select, which is the term I believe you're trying to capture with 'merit'.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:07 pm

Kohinoor wrote:UVA is the only T14 that runs a pre-select, which is the term I believe you're trying to capture with 'merit'.

Ah, so that ends the thread quickly. Thanks, so all other T14s are 100% lotto?

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:07 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:UVA is the only T14 that runs a pre-select, which is the term I believe you're trying to capture with 'merit'.

Ah, so that ends the thread quickly. Thanks, so all other T14s are 100% lotto?

sounds right.

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:10 pm

So, what are some of the good and bad things about these systems?

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:15 pm

thickfreakness wrote:So, what are some of the good and bad things about these systems?

Preselect = :-(

Lottery = :-)

I think that sums it up well.

I didn't realize that UVA used preselect. That blows.

Preselect means that employers can select who they interview

versus

lottery, which means interviews become available through the CDO (CSO, whatever it is called) selecting (randomly?) students to interview with each firm.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:19 pm

The lotto system gives you a chance to interview for a job that may not have selected you, but also hurts those with better grades.

The preselect system is probably worse for people outside the top 25% or whatever a firms traditional cut offs are at a school because if you don't have the grades it's unlikely that you'll get the interview.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:27 pm

In a pre-select system, employers see more than just your transcripts. They see your resume. And if an employers isn't impressed enough with your grades and resume, do you really think you're in that 1% of people that's going to change their mind in a 20-30 minute screening interview?

UVA's rumored new hybrid system (mostly pre-select but allowing ~5 special lottery bids for each student) seems ideal, I'd say. And employers like pre-select systems. If they're only going to hire down to around median anyway, I'm sure they'd like to spend as little time in useless interviews as possible.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:31 pm

hombredulce wrote:The lotto system gives you a chance to interview for a job that may not have selected you, but also hurts those with better grades.

The preselect system is probably worse for people outside the top 25% or whatever a firms traditional cut offs are at a school because if you don't have the grades it's unlikely that you'll get the interview.

I just don't like going to a school and wanting to go back to a non-major market of theirs and then not getting to interview for all the firms from that market at OCI. However, I shouldn't be too confident in my abilities to stand out in a merit system. I guess its a good incentive to go to the best school possible even if I will be outgunned there. Now I just hope I can REALLY impress in an interview.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:13 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
hombredulce wrote:The lotto system gives you a chance to interview for a job that may not have selected you, but also hurts those with better grades.

I just don't like going to a school and wanting to go back to a non-major market of theirs and then not getting to interview for all the firms from that market at OCI. However, I shouldn't be too confident in my abilities to stand out in a merit system. I guess its a good incentive to go to the best school possible even if I will be outgunned there. Now I just hope I can REALLY impress in an interview.

Exactly...in the end it's all a lottery anyway.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”