Case Western vs. Penn State (Current Students or applicants) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
charlesjd

Bronze

Case Western vs. Penn State (Current Students or applicants)

Post by charlesjd » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:31 pm

Last edited by charlesjd on Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

84Sunbird2000

Silver

Re: Case Western vs. Penn State (Current Students or applicants)

Post by 84Sunbird2000 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:17 pm

charlesjd wrote:I was pretty sure about Case, but Penn has risen in the rankings like crazy while case has really just lingered. The statistics for career placement, salaries, its future, campus overall, and brand new law building are extremely impressive. They are going places in my eyes.

91 (2007)- 65 (2009) which equates to 26 spots in only three(ish) years!!!

Where I want to practice does not matter, I am really open to anything and I have some family/friend connections in BigLaw so I am not too worried about the schools being regional (case midwest and penn east coast), but both school seem to hit bigger regions than just the state they are in.

Penn state undergrad is suppose to be awesome too, and quality of life is important to me.

I need some incite!

Thanks
I lean towards Case, though I originally considered applying to Penn State and researched them accordingly. First off, Penn State Law's main campus is in a little town (Carlisle) far away from the UG main campus, but I believe you can choose to take most of your courses at University Park if you desire the feel of Penn State. Their UG is amazing, and really, the scenery and setting for both campuses is pretty awesome.

However, when it comes to job prospects, I definitely lean towards Case. I know rankings are useful and important, but a 26 spot gain was the difference between 44 points and 48 points on the USNews rating scale. The problem with Penn State is that it only has reach because it has no home market and can't compete anywhere in Pennsylvania. Now, like with Tulane, this is not necessarily a bad thing. But, compared with Case, PSU is worse. At PSU, More grads stay in-state. The median salary is lower at PSU with a much lower percent (only 38!) reporting salary information. Because of this low reporting %, their big drop-off at their 25th percentile pay is more alarming They have good clerkship placement, but almost none with federal clerkships (17% total, 1% Fed). Plus, Case places as well to the South Atlantic as PSU despite being quite a bit further away from that region.

If I could incite you to something, I would incite you to go to Case over PSU. If you want insight, I'd say they are both excellent schools that do place beyond their rank in some ways, but that you should visit both and make your decision with first-hand knowledge. Penn State is moving up, but Case has a bigger and better alumni base in more areas of the country and still has better overall placement.

Case has a better academic climate, being in University Circle, and that area of Cleveland has a big arts focus. Plus, you get some of the amenities of a large city, and the potential to get a nice high-rise apartment overlooking Lake Erie for $500/month.

Penn State has a much better classic undergrad feel because of Penn State football and the size of the school within a smaller college town. Plus, you have mountains right there, and good skiing/hiking/biking not far away.

charlesjd

Bronze

Post by charlesjd » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:39 pm

84Sunbird2000 wrote:
charlesjd wrote:I was pretty sure about Case, but Penn has risen in the rankings like crazy while case has really just lingered. The statistics for career placement, salaries, its future, campus overall, and brand new law building are extremely impressive. They are going places in my eyes.

91 (2007)- 65 (2009) which equates to 26 spots in only three(ish) years!!!

Where I want to practice does not matter, I am really open to anything and I have some family/friend connections in BigLaw so I am not too worried about the schools being regional (case midwest and penn east coast), but both school seem to hit bigger regions than just the state they are in.

Penn state undergrad is suppose to be awesome too, and quality of life is important to me.

I need some incite!

Thanks
I lean towards Case, though I originally considered applying to Penn State and researched them accordingly. First off, Penn State Law's main campus is in a little town (Carlisle) far away from the UG main campus, but I believe you can choose to take most of your courses at University Park if you desire the feel of Penn State. Their UG is amazing, and really, the scenery and setting for both campuses is pretty awesome.

However, when it comes to job prospects, I definitely lean towards Case. I know rankings are useful and important, but a 26 spot gain was the difference between 44 points and 48 points on the USNews rating scale. The problem with Penn State is that it only has reach because it has no home market and can't compete anywhere in Pennsylvania. Now, like with Tulane, this is not necessarily a bad thing. But, compared with Case, PSU is worse. At PSU, More grads stay in-state. The median salary is lower at PSU with a much lower percent (only 38!) reporting salary information. Because of this low reporting %, their big drop-off at their 25th percentile pay is more alarming They have good clerkship placement, but almost none with federal clerkships (17% total, 1% Fed). Plus, Case places as well to the South Atlantic as PSU despite being quite a bit further away from that region.

If I could incite you to something, I would incite you to go to Case over PSU. If you want insight, I'd say they are both excellent schools that do place beyond their rank in some ways, but that you should visit both and make your decision with first-hand knowledge. Penn State is moving up, but Case has a bigger and better alumni base in more areas of the country and still has better overall placement.

Case has a better academic climate, being in University Circle, and that area of Cleveland has a big arts focus. Plus, you get some of the amenities of a large city, and the potential to get a nice high-rise apartment overlooking Lake Erie for $500/month.

Penn State has a much better classic undergrad feel because of Penn State football and the size of the school within a smaller college town. Plus, you have mountains right there, and good skiing/hiking/biking not far away.
Thanks a lot for the awesome post. That really helped a lot!!!!

creamedcats

Bronze

Post by creamedcats » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:58 am

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”