What is the draw for Loyola Law?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Great Satchmo

What is the draw for Loyola Law?

Postby Great Satchmo » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:01 pm

I see a fair amount of talk about Loyola Law, I think more so than SCU or USD, which seem to be pretty close peer schools as far as I understand it.

What is the draw for Loyola? I've been accepted, although without scholarship, and I am curious if it's worth a second look. I've been opening up my location options, and as much as I didn't like LA in the past, I think it could be a nice balance between San Francisco/Bay Area and San Diego.

ki3ngar0o

Re: What is the draw for Loyola Law?

Postby ki3ngar0o » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:10 pm

i went to the admitted students reception a couple weeks ago and was able to talk to some people from the adcomm. Loyola has a vast alumni network, with the most graduates making partners in LA firms. They're also very good with entertainment & public interest law & have some study abroad options for the summer. The professor gave a talk and told us that he absolutely LOVES his job and wakes up every morning excited for work. And apparently all of the professors there have that attitude as well and will go the extra distance to help students learn. For me, what I find most appealing about Loyola is the alumni network because they all seem genuinely caring & eager to give back. I hope this helps!

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:13 pm

Loyola has a strong alumni presence in the LA area. This is probably one of its more attractive features. It operates as a very solid, very regional school.

USD is the same for San Diego. If you want SD to go USD. If you want LA go to Loyola (or some argue, Pepperdine) - this is unless you are considering more national school options.

For Biglaw you will have to work very hard and be in the top of your class, obviously. But I think if you work hard and have good academic success, LLS will serve you well in the LA area in a number of different positions.

Though, sticker is a tough pill to swallow there....

what are your other options?

edit: ^^^ see about the alumni!! :D

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:26 pm

Veritas wrote:Loyola has a strong alumni presence in the LA area. This is probably one of its more attractive features. It operates as a very solid, very regional school.

USD is the same for San Diego. If you want SD to go USD. If you want LA go to Loyola (or some argue, Pepperdine) - this is unless you are considering more national school options.

For Biglaw you will have to work very hard and be in the top of your class, obviously. But I think if you work hard and have good academic success, LLS will serve you well in the LA area in a number of different positions.

Though, sticker is a tough pill to swallow there....

what are your other options?

edit: ^^^ see about the alumni!! :D

Other options? Realistically I'm between USD ($0), Loyola ($0), and SCU (small $) then maybe McGeorge at 1/2 or so, Cal Western at full (visiting in 2 weeks, strongly considering). Waiting on Davis/Hastings, but not counting on them as much as I'd love to go (I think I may have wasted the ED on Hastings, but we'll see).

I just visited SCU and what you said about Loyola, aside from as large of an alumni base, was said about SCU.

I just feel that Loyola gets more attention, and it seems interchangeable with USD and SCU. I feel like I'm missing something. They are in another large market with a lot of other schools, so it seems like it's more in the position of USF with a slightly better reputation.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:41 pm

Great Satchmo wrote:
Other options? Realistically I'm between USD ($0), Loyola ($0), and SCU (small $) then maybe McGeorge at 1/2 or so, Cal Western at full (visiting in 2 weeks, strongly considering). Waiting on Davis/Hastings, but not counting on them as much as I'd love to go (I think I may have wasted the ED on Hastings, but we'll see).

I just visited SCU and what you said about Loyola, aside from as large of an alumni base, was said about SCU.

I just feel that Loyola gets more attention, and it seems interchangeable with USD and SCU. I feel like I'm missing something. They are in another large market with a lot of other schools, so it seems like it's more in the position of USF with a slightly better reputation.

Be cautious of section staking at Cal Western. And, just fyi, at USD there are lots of opportunities to receive scholarships for your second and third year. The constantly redistribute at the end of the year based on class rank.

You need to figure out where in the state you want to initially practice, because all these options are super regional. I have met some very successful Cal Western grads in San Diego.

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:58 pm

Veritas wrote:
Great Satchmo wrote:

Be cautious of section staking at Cal Western. And, just fyi, at USD there are lots of opportunities to receive scholarships for your second and third year. The constantly redistribute at the end of the year based on class rank.

You need to figure out where in the state you want to initially practice, because all these options are super regional. I have met some very successful Cal Western grads in San Diego.

For CWSL, I'm not going to attend without a significantly lowered class standing stipulation for the scholarship. I won't attend if I have any fears of losing the money.

USD, I'm sure, has opportunities. However, their employment data doesn't seem $120k better than CWSL. It seems most schools have scholarships for performance for 2L and 3L, but it's not something I can completely count on.

As I mentioned, I'm visiting CWSL soon and I'm currently working on negotiating their offer to something I'd be happy with. Aside from that, I just checked out SCU and I know I could be happy there (and they have plenty of 2L/3L scholly opportunities), and I think their location is my first choice. After that, I need to visit USD and Loyola, see if they're potentially worth it (Loyola would be a change of location, I've lived in the Bay Area and in SD, which would be good and bad).

I'm actually going to USF today to sit in on a class, and taking a tour next week - I have one of their non-renewable scholarships, and I guess I'd hope to get money in 2L/3L via class standing.

Again, Loyola seems like a very similar peer school to USD/SCU and just receives a lot more positive attention - I guess it's the fact that it's in LA and has a good reputation. But, as with USF, and to a smaller extent SCU, it is clustered with a LOT of schools, including a number of higher ranked schools, but it doesn't seem to be acknowledged as much.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”