Wash U 20k vs BU 15k vs W&M 20k vs ND (maybe)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where to go...

Wash U (20k/year)
34%
BU (15k/year)
54%
William and Mary (20k/year)
10%
ND (pending decision)
2%

Total votes: 41

OneSixtySix

Wash U 20k vs BU 15k vs W&M 20k vs ND (maybe)

Postby OneSixtySix » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:49 pm

Obviously these schools cover vastly different regional areas but I was hoping to get some feedback.

I love Boston. However, I feel that I will be a better law student if I move to another city (due to the distractions associated being in a city I love). I also feel that I generally would be able to concentrate more in a low-key area.

Washington University is appealing as it is a fine instution and I love everything about their program. I dont think I would mind St. Louis for three years.

I have not been admitted to ND as of yet, and although my numbers are at or above median, who knows. Without comparable financial assistance, I would have to rule them out. Notre Dame just seems to have a phenomenal community aspect, and I actually like the idea of going to South Bend. Matriculating here would most deffinitly require at least a weekend stay in South Bend, IN.

W&M is ranked the lowest of the schools I am considering, but is by far the cheapest (considering the cost of living in williamsburg). Once again, the non-city atmosphere wouldnt bug me, but I would be far more concerned about my degree relative to its local market than I would at the other schools.

Two weeks...and no idea.

Thoughts? Am I crazy to consider anything besides Wash U and BU

Veritas

Re: Wash U 20k vs BU 15k vs W&M 20k vs ND (maybe)

Postby Veritas » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:51 pm

Do you want to work in Boston?

td6624

Postby td6624 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:02 am

OneSixtySix wrote:and I actually like the idea of going to South Bend.

whoa whoa whoa

why

OneSixtySix

Postby OneSixtySix » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:53 pm

Veritas wrote:Do you want to work in Boston?

I understand where I go to school is where I will practice for the first 3-7 years. I do want to practice in Boston, but have no qualms with Chicago, DC, NY, etc (no desire for west coast or south).

And South Bend, like Ithica, are typically projected as miserable places to love. However, I would personally find something appealing about a smaller community to study law. It may even be a bit easier to focus and prioritize interests/activities with school.

I guess nobody can answer this question, and the poll results are fairly equal, but I appreciate the thoughts/opinions on the matter.

td6624

Postby td6624 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:25 am

OneSixtySix wrote:
And South Bend, like Ithica, are typically projected as miserable places to love. However, I would personally find something appealing about a smaller community to study law. It may even be a bit easier to focus and prioritize interests/activities with school.

Dude, no. Ithaca is at least pretty in spots, isn't it? South Bend doesn't suck because it's small. It sucks because it sucks.

But that's just my two cents. It would be fairly easy to stick to the area around campus, get involved there, and be able to really focus on work, if that's what you wanna do.

UF Gators

Postby UF Gators » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:14 am

td6624 wrote:
OneSixtySix wrote:

Dude, no. Ithaca is at least pretty in spots, isn't it? South Bend doesn't suck because it's small. It sucks because it sucks.

But that's just my two cents. It would be fairly easy to stick to the area around campus, get involved there, and be able to really focus on work, if that's what you wanna do.

I visited South Bend last month. It was a let down, such a depressing looking little town. OP, I really think the choice should be between BU and WashU. At least WashU is the strongest school in it's market since you dont mind too much were you end up.

Small Law

Postby Small Law » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:29 am

WUSTL or Wash U? If WUSTL, go to WUSTL. If Wash U, go to W&M.

Note: If you are worried about distractions, look hard at W&M. You won't have any distractions at W&M, but it is a great area and has great ties to DC/No. VA.

HBK

Postby HBK » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:47 am

Small Law wrote:WUSTL or Wash U? If WUSTL, go to WUSTL. If Wash U, go to W&M.

Note: If you are worried about distractions, look hard at W&M. You won't have any distractions at W&M, but it is a great area and has great ties to DC/No. VA.

Wash U = WUSTL

Nobody except TLS posters call Wash U WUSTL

td6624

Postby td6624 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:52 am

OneSixtySix wrote:Washington University is appealing as it is a fine instution and I love everything about their program. I dont think I would mind St. Louis for three years.

Also this.

OneSixtySix

Postby OneSixtySix » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:20 pm

HBK wrote:
Small Law wrote:WUSTL or Wash U? If WUSTL, go to WUSTL. If Wash U, go to W&M.

Wash U = WUSTL

Nobody except TLS posters call Wash U WUSTL

Correct, I was referring to WUSTL.

One thing I did not anticipate about the admissions process was the difficulty involved in making the final decision. I also evaluated loan repayment costs and they are disgusting, even with 15 - 20k/year scholarships.

*sigh*

Return to “Choosing a Law School”