Vandy, BU, Cardozo or Fordham???

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
manwitaplan

Vandy, BU, Cardozo or Fordham???

Postby manwitaplan » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:44 pm

I recently received full tuition from Cardozo Law. I also have $20K from Vanderbilt, and $17.5k from Howard. I was also accepted to BU and Fordham, but no word on money yet.

I am a AA URM.

I know that I want to work in New York City. I also know I want to pursue IP/Entertianment Law. Should I take the free ride to Cardozo? I'm just nervous because law firms seem to only care about your GPA and law school rank...so I don't know if I should be going to the best school I get into, which is currently Vandy (#17). However...if I chose Cardozo with the full ride and had trouble finding a job at graduation, at least I wouldn't be 100k in debt.

Somebody, help!!!

Rawlsian

Re: Vandy, BU, Cardozo or Fordham???

Postby Rawlsian » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:49 pm

Are those scholarship amounts total, or per year?

Kiersten1985

Postby Kiersten1985 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:56 pm

Also - what are your career goals and where do you want to live/practice?

manwitaplan

Postby manwitaplan » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:58 pm

Rawlsian wrote:Are those scholarship amounts total, or per year?

per year...

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:58 pm

Are there any GPA stipulations on the full ride from Cardozo? Will you be aiming for a big firm (V100)? If you don't want biglaw, a guaranteed scholarship is not a bad thing, but you should be aware of each school's most recent placement rate-- this will help you make the best decision.

manwitaplan

Postby manwitaplan » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:59 pm

Kiersten1985 wrote:Also - what are your career goals and where do you want to live/practice?

I'm REALLY interested in Entertainment Law...Labor Law is the 2nd interest. and I KNOW I want to live in NYC.

chinagator

Postby chinagator » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:09 pm

If you have 20K per year offer from Vandy, you should get decent $$ from Boston. Honestly, BU is that much better than Cardozo, and if you're sure you want to be in NYC, I'd go there. Did you apply to Fordham?

manwitaplan

Postby manwitaplan » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:10 pm

chinagator wrote:If you have 20K per year offer from Vandy, you should get decent $$ from Boston. Honestly, BU is that much better than Cardozo, and if you're sure you want to be in NYC, I'd go there. Did you apply to Fordham?

Yeah, I applied and got accepted to Fordham. Do they give money, though? I haven't heard anyone talk about that...

chinagator

Postby chinagator » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:16 pm

I'll defer to OS on this question, but I heard they do give out money in spite of their rep for being stingy.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:24 pm

chinagator wrote:I'll defer to OS on this question, but I heard they do give out money in spite of their rep for being stingy.

They give some, but Fordham is not stingy. It has a very small endowment for a school of its quality, and really does depend on our tuition money to run. Scholarship negotiation is certainly worth a try, but Fordham can't really buy students. I wish my school had more money! I consider it to be well worth what I am paying, but OP should talk to finaid.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”