Help me decide!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which should I choose?

Davis at sticker
4
27%
U Arizona 16k per year (tuition approx 35k)
1
7%
UNLV full ride (top 1/3)
8
53%
McGeorge full ride (top 1/3)
2
13%
 
Total votes: 15

yo!
Posts: 653
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:11 pm

Help me decide!

Postby yo! » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:26 pm

COL will be paid by my wife, and she can easily transfer to Vegas/Sac. This becomes much more of a problem if I go to AZ. I'm pretty comfortable working in any of these cities. Which offer is the best deal? Also, I'm not accepted at Davis yet, just waiting and hoping.

EDIT: I should add that the 16k per year is guaranteed at Arizona, which makes the offer much less scary than having to finish top 1/3 to renew.

ppa840
Posts: 109
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:51 pm

Re: Help me decide!

Postby ppa840 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:33 pm

I wouldn't try to make a decision until you have all the information, i.e. whether you are in at Davis. If you get into Davis, I vote Davis, but if not, I say AZ.

yo!
Posts: 653
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:11 pm

Re: Help me decide!

Postby yo! » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:37 pm

My wife can get a job in Tucson, but the pay will be lower. If I went to Sac/Vegas, she could still work for the same company and keep her seniority. I honestly would be happy enough working in any of the cities, but I might want to return to Northern Ca in like 10 years. I'm trying to rule out a few of the choices right now, because the seat deposit for UNLV is due on April 1.

User avatar
Great Satchmo
Posts: 754
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 2:34 pm

Re: Help me decide!

Postby Great Satchmo » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:40 pm

I'd say McGeorge. If your wife can stay with her job, keeping seniority, and go to Sac and pay your cost of living while you attend for free...doesn't sound like a bad situation at all.

User avatar
ozarkhack
Posts: 380
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:48 pm

Re: Help me decide!

Postby ozarkhack » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:51 pm

I want to tell you to go to Davis, so McGeorge can give me your $$. But I want to tell you to go to McGeorge, so Davis won't send an offer to you instead of me.

Truly, though, I want to keep all of my options open. So ... go to Vegas.

All joking aside: Pay deposit at McGeorge and plan to go there. But the second Davis opens up, change your plans.

yo!
Posts: 653
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:11 pm

Re: Help me decide!

Postby yo! » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:31 pm

ozarkhack wrote:I want to tell you to go to Davis, so McGeorge can give me your $$. But I want to tell you to go to McGeorge, so Davis won't send an offer to you instead of me.

Truly, though, I want to keep all of my options open. So ... go to Vegas.

All joking aside: Pay deposit at McGeorge and plan to go there. But the second Davis opens up, change your plans.


The problem with McGeorge:

Situation 1: Scholarship not renewed at McG: 39k per year for two more years.

Situation 2: Scholarship not renewed at UNLV: only 20k per year for the last two years.

Basically, I'm completely fucked if I lose the McGeorge scholarship. I'm gonna try to negotiate the stipulation out. But if I can't, UNLV seems like the most safe option.

BTW: If it wasn't for my wife's employment situation, my deposit would already be in at Arizona.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest