BU/BC vs. Emory vs. ND? Help me Choose!!! Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

BU vs. Emory vs. BC vs. ND?

BU
48%
Emory
17%
BC
17%
ND
19%

Total votes: 84

GeePee

Silver

Re: BU/BC vs. Emory vs. ND? Help me Choose!!!

Post by GeePee » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:51 pm

BigLawyer wrote:Read it. I don't think you understand. I'll say this one last time. He wants Biglaw. Regardless of what country he is in or what the common people of his country think, there isn't a single V100 firm that has never heard of Boston College. Not one. If he wants BigLaw, he wants a V100 firm. All V100 firms have heard and know about Boston College.

I know this is difficult for you, but please try to understand the question. He wants to know "[W]hich school is best for an international student, non-trad (I'm 28) to get in biglaw?"

The answer to this question is still it depends. But the point of the discourse of the last few posts is that BC and BU are not going to be confused by any firm that qualifies as BigLaw. Statistically, those firms would actually prefer the College over the University, given the recent statistics of biglaw placement.

(I seriously can't believe I had to explain this to you again.)
Right, because one sentence in a lengthy three-paragraph post fully characterizes all of OP's goals and desires.

Honestly, the only thing you've done in any of your posts today that comes close to making sense is cite taxprof, and even then the rankings are hugely flawed by lack of consideration of self-selection and other important avenues of employment.

td6624

Silver

Post by td6624 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:51 pm

The post didn't end after that question.

Edit: basically what GeePee said

UCLAtransfer

Bronze

Post by UCLAtransfer » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:55 pm

BigLawyer wrote:Read it. I don't think you understand. I'll say this one last time. He wants Biglaw. Regardless of what country he is in or what the common people of his country think, there isn't a single V100 firm that has never heard of Boston College. Not one. If he wants BigLaw, he wants a V100 firm. All V100 firms have heard and know about Boston College.

I know this is difficult for you, but please try to understand the question. He wants to know "[W]hich school is best for an international student, non-trad (I'm 28) to get in biglaw?"

The answer to this question is still it depends. But the point of the discourse of the last few posts is that BC and BU are not going to be confused by any firm that qualifies as BigLaw. Statistically, those firms would actually prefer the College over the University, given the recent statistics of biglaw placement.

(I seriously can't believe I had to explain this to you again.)
No need to get angry or rude, BigLawyer. This is an online message board about law school, after all.

You still failed to address any of the other points in the OP's original or subsequent posts.

There are two "goals" that OP has said are important:

(1) BigLaw
(2) Getting a job back in his/her home country (at a big firm OR a "local law firm")

All of your posts concern goal (1), and completely disregard goal (2). I don't think anybody here is claiming that a big firm is not going to recognize Boston College as a fine institution. You are correct, Boston College will be great for goal (1), and you provided an excellent link to the blog citing NLJ250 placement.

What previous posters (including myself) have said is that based on the combination of goals (1) and (2), and what OP has said about name recognition in his/her home country, Boston College might not be as good of a choice as another school that will get more name recognition and "prestige value" in OP's home country, especially among smaller/local firms. E.g., Boston University (which OP has said is known as being "more prestigious" in his/her home country, and has similar NLJ250 stats). I am not even necessarily saying that Boston College won't be the best choice for OP given all of his/her goals, all I have said is that name recognition in OP's home country could be a valid concern, since much of the world differentiates between "college" and "university," and OP has said that working at a local law firm back in his/her home country is an possible goal/option.

What I do know is that since OP explicitly said that working at a "local law firm" in his/her home country is a possibility, the analysis cannot end with dismissive statements about how well big firms will recognize the Boston College name. A thoughtful discussion should address all of OP's stated concerns.

Snoopy1216

Bronze

Post by Snoopy1216 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:59 pm

It seems you have subconsciously rationalized BU for yourself anyway. But, I think that is the best choice. It is the highest ranked, well-known, and has the best ties to big law out of the other choices. Good luck! :)

googado

New

Post by googado » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:09 pm

Thank you everyone for your comments!

Looks like you guys are already thinking and arguing like lawyers! The debate is quite like the one that's going on in my head as well :)

Seriously, thank you for all your advice, really appreciate it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”