WashU v. Cardozo or what?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What's your vote?

Cardozo at 30k/yr with 3.3 requirement
24%
Brooklyn at 36k/yr with 3.3 requirement
8%
WashU at 11k/yr with no strings
53%
W&L at 24k/yr (probably strings?)
8%
GW at sticker
No votes
Ride out Fordham waitlist, go PT, etc.
8%

Total votes: 51

sibley

WashU v. Cardozo or what?

Postby sibley » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:16 am

3.34/170

Not interested in Big Law but would like to keep my options open. Currently leaning towards immigration law (is it possible outside of big cities?). It's my understanding that Cardozo has an immigration clinic. Re: section stacking concerns, the deans guaranteed me they put even scholarship people into each section.

Debt averse- have undergrad loans and a FAFSA EFC of 0.

My cycle isn't complete but I expect to be WL or rejected at most of the rest (and the others I'm not really into).

NYC is preferable, but need easy airport access to ROC if out of NY (to see my SO)
Last edited by sibley on Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ghost Writer

Re: WashU v. Cardozo or what?

Postby Ghost Writer » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:19 am

This is tough. If you want to work in NYC where immigration is strong choose a NYC school and ride out the Fordham waitlist as well.

If you dont care where you practice Wash U might be worth it.

sibley

Postby sibley » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:24 am

I appreciate the votes! If you have a minute could you also post with your reasoning?

carlkenneth

Postby carlkenneth » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:33 am

Wow, this is funny. I was going to start a similar thread (again) this week. In previous threads I've been advised to attend Wash U over Cardozo and Brooklyn - obviously the conventional wisdom states that one should attend the highest ranked school by which they were admitted. But I think if you want to focus on immigration law then ideally you should try to attend school in an area that will give you easy access to internships, etc.

I voted for Brooklyn Law School just because they offered you more money and here in NYC, despite the rankings, Brooklyn and Cardozo have a similar reputation. Brooklyn also has a very large alumni base, especially in the public interest sector.

But if you're able to negotiate more $ (or get one of their need grants) I'd definitely say attend Cardozo. It seems as though if you were to change your mind and decide Big Law is something that interests you, then 'dozo could offer more opportunities.

Edit: I also voted for Brooklyn because of the 3.3 GPA requirement attached to the $. Though the GPA requirement is the same at both schools, there are rumors that Cardozo's scholarship $ is more difficult to keep because of section stacking.

sibley

Postby sibley » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:40 am

carlkenneth wrote:Edit: I also voted for Brooklyn because of the 3.3 GPA requirement attached to the $. Though the GPA requirement is the same at both schools, there are rumors that Cardozo's scholarship $ is more difficult to keep because of section stacking.

Thanks so much for your insight (and of course I like that you confirmed my leanings)! Very helpful.

I actually addressed the section stacking concerns with two of Cardozo's deans. They informed me that they try very hard to put comparable numbers of scholarship recipients in each section. They also said that they can't afford to section stack - as a relatively young school that'd kill their reputation. My conclusion from that is that they just have a lot of cash to give out.

carlkenneth

Postby carlkenneth » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:48 am

Seems as though I'm still the lone Brooklyn vote. lol. I'm going keep my eye on this thread because I have a similar choice to make. Who knows - maybe we'll end up at the same school come this fall.

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:14 am

If you do PI then the scholarships aren't big enough to change your monthly IBR payment. So Fordham > GW > Dozo, although of course it makes sense to swap GW and Dozo given your preference for NY. I don't see how the other options merit consideration over those three.

lawschooliseasy

Postby lawschooliseasy » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:22 am

No love for Washington and Lee here? Second highest ranked school you got into with a fat scholarship! Their scholly requirement is being in the top 80%.

nol607

Postby nol607 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:33 am

Last edited by nol607 on Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sibley

Postby sibley » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:49 am

nol607 wrote:I'd really like to hear someone discuss Cardozo v. W&L. The impression I get from both is a great faculty- what about success in placement? Does either do better in its major regional market than the other (NYC v. DC)? With W&L is there less of a guarantee at DC than the relative certainty of NYC for dozo? Thanks for any input.

Also, any word on these schools' futures? I know W&L has been dropping precipitously in the rankings- think that will change as the 3L program gets accepted? Also, dozo markets itself as up and coming; someone mentioned that paradoxically the selectivity fell from 07 to present? Is cardozo up and coming?

Sorry for tacking onto your thread!

anything to keep it going to get more votes!
I mentioned in the Cardozo thread that it looked like they dropped, but I believe that's because they combined full time and pt applicants. Full time by itself seems to have remained steady, with a .02 increase in gpa, lol. I suppose we'll see what happens this year. The main reason I hold confidence in Cardozo is they seem to do really well in NYC despite their ranking, and they also have a lot of cash to improve themselves. I have no idea about W&L in DC....

nol607

Postby nol607 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:05 pm

Just saw this on another thread:
Recent employment prospects (Feb 22, 2010)- Marginal victory for Dozo over W&L for NLJ250
http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/law%20sc ... page12.pdf

sibley

Postby sibley » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:22 pm

nol607 wrote:Just saw this on another thread:
Recent employment prospects (Feb 22, 2010)- Marginal victory for Dozo over W&L for NLJ250
http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/law%20sc ... page12.pdf

thanks! not sure entirely what it means, other than juding a place simply by its US News rankings is probably a crappy idea. So Cardozo sent 20% to t250 firms?

Does that site have a similar list for gov and non-prof jobs?

nol607

Postby nol607 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:44 pm

That's all I found. I have no interest in biglaw either but I think Cardozo is becoming more and more appealing.

sibley

Postby sibley » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:47 pm

nol607 wrote:That's all I found. I have no interest in biglaw either but I think Cardozo is becoming more and more appealing.

I searched around their website but only became very very confused. WashU says they'll be sending out my aid package this week. Unless it makes up for Cardozo's I can't see going there - it's not really where I want to be (though it seems like a very nice city... just a little bigger than the one I'm in now, which would be nice to life in)... and I don't want big law. I want the option, and according to that little fact sheet I'll still have the option at Cardozo...

I guess I'll post another of these when financial aid comes out. Cardozo said theirs should be pretty soon as well.

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:10 pm

Would like to point out that 2009 graduates did on-campus interviewing in Fall 2007 - i.e. before the recession took its full toll.

Just keep in mind that the numbers for the next two years for any school are going to be worse. Don't go in assuming you have whatever percent shot at NLJ 250 is listed in that pdf.

sibley

Postby sibley » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:11 pm

blsingindisguise wrote:Would like to point out that 2009 graduates did on-campus interviewing in Fall 2007 - i.e. before the recession took its full toll.

Just keep in mind that the numbers for the next two years for any school are going to be worse. Don't go in assuming you have whatever percent shot at NLJ 250 is listed in that pdf.

we saw a few pdfs that wandered around. I'm more interested in comparing them to, say, fordham, than assuming results.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”