Withdrawing vs. Letting deposit deadline pass

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
madmartigan

Withdrawing vs. Letting deposit deadline pass

Postby madmartigan » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:58 am

I'm curious what everyone is doing. Are you withdrawing from any/all schools you don't think you'll attend, or are you holding off on withdrawing to be safe?

starsong

Re: Withdrawing vs. Letting deposit deadline pass

Postby starsong » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:02 am

madmartigan wrote:I'm curious what everyone is doing. Are you withdrawing from any/all schools you don't think you'll attend, or are you holding off on withdrawing to be safe?

If I'm sure I'm not going, I withdraw for the sake of others that are waiting. If I'm not sure, I wait.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:47 am

WITHDRAW.

IMMEDIATELY.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:51 am

I just send a short email when I know a school is for sure out of the running. A little courtesy is nice.

Spaceman Spiff

Postby Spaceman Spiff » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:52 am

I can't imagine it matters much. Every school issues acceptances factoring in a certain percentage of those accepted rejecting their offer. As such, they're hoping they don't have to go to the waitlist. And, if they do, it'll be after seat deposit deadline.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:35 am

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I can't imagine it matters much. Every school issues acceptances factoring in a certain percentage of those accepted rejecting their offer. As such, they're hoping they don't have to go to the waitlist. And, if they do, it'll be after seat deposit deadline.

+1. Waitlist acceptances typically happen after deposit deadlines, since those who didn't deposit are assumed to have made other plans.

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:14 pm

im_blue wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:I can't imagine it matters much. Every school issues acceptances factoring in a certain percentage of those accepted rejecting their offer. As such, they're hoping they don't have to go to the waitlist. And, if they do, it'll be after seat deposit deadline.

+1. Waitlist acceptances typically happen after deposit deadlines, since those who didn't deposit are assumed to have made other plans.

Yeah, but with applications up beyond the number of real applicants, prompt withdrawals may allow them to go to their waitlist sooner or admit those on the "silent waitlist". However, the bigger thing is withdrawing if you have a scholarship. If you have a scholarship, withdraw right away so that they can possibly allocate that money to attract students who may be on the fence. I, at one point, realized I was holding 1.75 million in scholarship money hostage, and since then I've been withdrawing from a few schools every day. I realize they build in a certain scholarship withdrawal rate when awarding scholarships, but the more that withdraw early, the better chance a school has of persuading some above-average student before the deposit deadlines.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:15 pm

84Sunbird2000 wrote:
im_blue wrote:

Yeah, but with applications up beyond the number of real applicants, prompt withdrawals may allow them to go to their waitlist sooner or admit those on the "silent waitlist". However, the bigger thing is withdrawing if you have a scholarship. If you have a scholarship, withdraw right away so that they can possibly allocate that money to attract students who may be on the fence. I, at one point, realized I was holding 1.75 million in scholarship money hostage, and since then I've been withdrawing from a few schools every day. I realize they build in a certain scholarship withdrawal rate when awarding scholarships, but the more that withdraw early, the better chance a school has of persuading some above-average student before the deposit deadlines.

You weren't holding it hostage. These schools know roughly what percentage of people accept, and plan accordingly.

ozarkhack

Postby ozarkhack » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:30 pm

This is simple.

If you're 100 percent sure you're not going to attend, you withdraw. If there's even just a 1 percent chance you'll go to that school, you hold on until you do know for 100 percent. If that's past the deadline, it's past the deadline.

If you properly withdraw b/c you know you're not attending, you may or may not be helping someone out; you deserve no kudos. However, if you know for 100 percent sure that you aren't attending, and you decide to simply let the deposit deadline pass without comment, you are in fact being a horsedick.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”