Summer Session or Wait for replies?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Hey-O
Posts: 719
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:50 pm

Summer Session or Wait for replies?

Postby Hey-O » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:04 pm

So here is my dilemma:

In at Duke and Michigan. I was admitted to the summer session for both schools (Duke I'm in the JD/LLM program in international law). Both schools said that I could apply for fall session but that there is no certainty I would be admitted. They want an answer by the beginning of April.

No word on money yet so I probably won't get any.

Waiting on NYU, Fordham, and Stanford. I applied very late so there is still a very small chance of acceptance. Numbers: 169, 3.86.

So what do I do? I don't want to accept Duke or Michigan if I get into Stanford. (Money be damned - it's my dream since I visited the campus when I was 16). But I don't want to wait on Stanford and then blow my chances at Michigan and Duke.

Secondary question: Any thoughts on Duke v. Michigan? Practicing International law is my ultimate goals and both schools have good programs.

Thanks for any advice.

starsong
Posts: 421
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:35 pm

Re: Summer Session or Wait for replies?

Postby starsong » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:30 pm

Hey-O wrote:So here is my dilemma:

In at Duke and Michigan. I was admitted to the summer session for both schools (Duke I'm in the JD/LLM program in international law). Both schools said that I could apply for fall session but that there is no certainty I would be admitted. They want an answer by the beginning of April.

No word on money yet so I probably won't get any.

Waiting on NYU, Fordham, and Stanford. I applied very late so there is still a very small chance of acceptance. Numbers: 169, 3.86.

So what do I do? I don't want to accept Duke or Michigan if I get into Stanford. (Money be damned - it's my dream since I visited the campus when I was 16). But I don't want to wait on Stanford and then blow my chances at Michigan and Duke.

Secondary question: Any thoughts on Duke v. Michigan? Practicing International law is my ultimate goals and both schools have good programs.

Thanks for any advice.


Can you deposit at Duke/Michigan and withdraw if you are accepted to Stanford?

Unfortunately, there are very few opportunities to "practice" (public) international law. The few government/U.N./etc. positions require networking, and schools like Georgetown or NYU are probably best for that since they are located in major international centers (DC/NYC). But if you do extremely well at Duke or Michigan, you could snatch one of those positions by virtue of your grades.

Hey-O
Posts: 719
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:50 pm

Re: Summer Session or Wait for replies?

Postby Hey-O » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:50 pm

Thanks for the reply. I don't have much money. I could put down the money it but would take a lot of what I have saved to live on during the school year. I would like to avoid that if I could.

I do envision either working for a government or non-profit think tank, and I know that name recognition is one of the best ways to do that. Do you think it would be better go to Fordham (in NYC) if I get in?

starsong
Posts: 421
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:35 pm

Re: Summer Session or Wait for replies?

Postby starsong » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:00 pm

Hey-O wrote:Thanks for the reply. I don't have much money. I could put down the money it but would take a lot of what I have saved to live on during the school year. I would like to avoid that if I could.


Your call. I would weigh the impact of ~$1,000 in extra debt (from borrowing the "wasted" deposit) vs. the possible (huge) difference in career opportunities for a Stanford grad.

Hey-O wrote:I do envision either working for a government or non-profit think tank, and I know that name recognition is one of the best ways to do that. Do you think it would be better go to Fordham (in NYC) if I get in?


The few international law positions at think tanks are heavily credentials-oriented, so Duke/Michigan > Fordham. But those jobs are rare. If you want to practice something akin to international law in other contexts--i.e. public interest work--Fordham may suit you well, especially if that lowers your debt load.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Summer Session or Wait for replies?

Postby im_blue » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:37 pm

Hey-O wrote:Thanks for the reply. I don't have much money. I could put down the money it but would take a lot of what I have saved to live on during the school year. I would like to avoid that if I could.


TBH, Stanford is a sure ding since you're below both medians, unless you have a trump card such as HYPS undergrad or something. I would wait until April 1 and then deposit at Michigan or Duke. Your chances of losing the deposit are minuscule.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 180orDie and 5 guests