Vanderbilt ($) vs. GW

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Vandy ($) v. GW

Vandy ($)
89%
GW
11%

Total votes: 55

hoyasaxa

Vanderbilt ($) vs. GW

Postby hoyasaxa » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:04 am

new to the forum and wanted to see if you TLSers have any thoughts that I haven't yet considered in my Vanderbilt vs. GW decision.

$30,000 over three years at Vandy. Sticker at GW. No need-based aid anywhere. Factoring COL, GW would cost about $60,000 more over three years.

Would like to practice in DC, but definitely open to the possibility of other locations on the east coast and I'm attracted to Vandy's national rep because of that. Main legal interests are in int'l trade law, antitrust, environmental, entertainment/sports law. In other words, i'm a bit undecided on legal interests, so i'm hesitant to pick GW just because of it's location in DC and how that may affect my int'l trade law education. Vandy's law/business and law/econ PhD program point to a strong education in int'l trade law/anti-trust anyway (plus, nashville is a better market for entertainment/sports law).

Visited gw and didn't get a great feeling (no offense to any colonials, but the students i talked to seemed to have a chip on their shoulder for not getting into georgetown and were constantly hating on my alma mater, which you can probably guess from my handle). Also, is this an unfounded concern or do GW students all compete for the same DC jobs since there are so many graduating and looking for work in dc every year? I like the idea of going to a smaller school with better access to professors, but would probably agree that these professors aren't as "connected" in the DC scene as GW's are...

Headed to ASW at Vandy in two weeks, and i've heard great things about nashville, so i'm excited and definitely leaning towards the nashvegas. Is this an easy decision?

im_blue

Re: Vanderbilt ($) vs. GW

Postby im_blue » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:05 am

hoyasaxa wrote:new to the forum and wanted to see if you TLSers have any thoughts that I haven't yet considered in my Vanderbilt vs. GW decision.

$30,000 over three years at Vandy. Sticker at GW. No need-based aid anywhere. Factoring COL, GW would cost about $60,000 more over three years.

Would like to practice in DC, but definitely open to the possibility of other locations on the east coast and I'm attracted to Vandy's national rep because of that. Main legal interests are in int'l trade law, antitrust, environmental, entertainment/sports law. In other words, i'm a bit undecided on legal interests, so i'm hesitant to pick GW just because of it's location in DC and how that may affect my int'l trade law education. Vandy's law/business and law/econ PhD program point to a strong education in int'l trade law/anti-trust anyway (plus, nashville is a better market for entertainment/sports law).

Visited gw and didn't get a great feeling (no offense to any colonials, but the students i talked to seemed to have a chip on their shoulder for not getting into georgetown and were constantly hating on my alma mater, which you can probably guess from my handle). Also, is this an unfounded concern or do GW students all compete for the same DC jobs since there are so many graduating and looking for work in dc every year? I like the idea of going to a smaller school with better access to professors, but would probably agree that these professors aren't as "connected" in the DC scene as GW's are...

Headed to ASW at Vandy in two weeks, and i've heard great things about nashville, so i'm excited and definitely leaning towards the nashvegas. Is this an easy decision?

yes

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:08 am

As much as I love GW, sticker is just too damn high. Go with Vandy.

jsoell

Postby jsoell » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:50 am

My gut would be to go with Vandy. If you are absolutely dedicated to being in DC for the rest of your life, you could take advantage of more opportunities being around, but it doesn´t sound like you are. Nashville is a fantastic town and certainly does have opportunities in entertainment law.

hoyasaxa

Postby hoyasaxa » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:12 pm

thanks guys. I'm Blue, does your answer change in I'm 90% certain i'll end up in DC?

thedogship

Postby thedogship » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:45 pm

I think Vandy is the call here. GW definitely can place well in DC for those who do well there. But $60K is a huge amount of extra debt to take on. DC was probably the most difficult market this year for interviewing, so I can see how GW might be valuable in being a school in that market. But I think Vandy's national rep is strong and growing, and your thoughts on where you want to end up may change while you are in law school (and afterwards). I think that it's a better call to have a more portable degree at a lower price. GW is really expensive. I did my first year there, and didn't think it was worth that cost. Had I not been able to transfer, I was considering not continuing there because the cost was so high for a degree that isn't "national" (My plan was always to work in NY or LA). DC firms definitely recruit at Vandy, as do firms from plenty of other big cities. I think you will have plenty of opportunities at Vandy, plus you will have $60K less of an albatross to worry about.

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:52 pm

Vandy. Hands down.

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:40 pm

Vandy is TCR. I doubt you'll find many at Vandy that would've wanted to be at GeorgeTTTown in the first place. All reports I've heard from the Vandy students, students from other law schools, and Vandy alums I've run into have been exceedingly positive about the collegial and laid-back atmosphere at Vanderbilt.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:18 pm

hoyasaxa wrote:thanks guys. I'm Blue, does your answer change in I'm 90% certain i'll end up in DC?

TBH, I don't think you can make that call at this point, since DC is a tough market to crack. Assuming that you'd rather get a job outside DC than no job in DC, Vandy is the right choice here, and it places well in the East Coast and South. OTOH if there's something restricting you to DC (family, SO, etc) then GW might be worth a second look.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”