Religiously affiliated schools, how religious are they?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jmvargas

Religiously affiliated schools, how religious are they?

Postby jmvargas » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:46 am

I will be applying to several schools this cycle including Marquette and Santa Clara. I realize that both of these schools are religiously affiliated but I wonder how religious the scene is. I mean, and pardon my ignorance, is there prayer involved or things like that? I grew up Catholic but I really don't practice so I feel that I would be somewhat uncomfortable in a school scene where religion plays a prominent role. I do not mean to offend religion or anyone that follows religion at all so please let's not start a debate over religion. Thank you for any input.

scionb4

Re: Religiously affiliated schools, how religious are they?

Postby scionb4 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:21 am

Last edited by scionb4 on Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

HBK

Postby HBK » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:21 am

Bump. I have the same question about SMU and Baylor.

twopoodles

Postby twopoodles » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:28 am

I attended Creighton for UG (though I'm atheist). Although it is not a school anyone mentioned, I can only guess that they might be similar. For the most part, the religion was not an issue. Theology classes are another story, but that won't apply to law school. The only praying or faith sharing crap I had to struggle through was in one theology class and to be fair, I was well-warned. I would expect the majority of your classmates to be pretty into their religion, but not all. There will be plenty of people who are at the school because of the academics, not religion. Creighton was big on community service (likely big at all Jesuit schools) and ethics courses and those were the two things tied with religion that I know also affected the law school.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”