Hastings vs. University of Seattle

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
MD/JD2B
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:06 am

Hastings vs. University of Seattle

Postby MD/JD2B » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:29 pm

Any thoughts? No diff in money; I am lured to Hastings by its health law program, and to Seattle U by its legal writing program. Eventually, would like to stay on the West Coast. Thanks for any input

UCLAtransfer
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Hastings vs. University of Seattle

Postby UCLAtransfer » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:32 pm

Do you want to work in the Bay Area or in Seattle?

Each of those schools is regional enough that where you want to stay long-term should be your primary consideration.

User avatar
Dignan
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:52 pm

Re: Hastings vs. University of Seattle

Postby Dignan » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:24 pm

UCLAtransfer wrote:Do you want to work in the Bay Area or in Seattle?

Each of those schools is regional enough that where you want to stay long-term should be your primary consideration.

+1. And keep in mind that there are a lot more law jobs in the SF Bay Area than in Seattle. There are, of course, more law schools in SF as well.

At the University of Seattle, you're outranked by U of W; At Hastings, you're outranked by Berkeley and Stanford.

I'll say this: If I didn't have a preference for SF or Seattle, and if my goal was to land a good-paying firm job, I would take Hastings over Seattle U without thinking twice.

User avatar
r2b2ct
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:33 pm

Re: Hastings vs. University of Seattle

Postby r2b2ct » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:06 am

Hastings is the clear choice. Hastings actually does quite well throughout CA.
Last edited by r2b2ct on Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deadatheist
Posts: 234
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:55 am

Re: Hastings vs. University of Seattle

Postby deadatheist » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:15 am

MD/JD2B wrote:Any thoughts? No diff in money; I am lured to Hastings by its [strike]health law program[/strike] seksiness


Duh ;) Jk, good luck deciding.

eaters333
Posts: 75
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:50 pm

Re: Hastings vs. University of Seattle

Postby eaters333 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:30 am

I think this is a no brainer, Hastings gives you way more opportunity in way more markets, in any kid of law

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Hastings vs. University of Seattle

Postby A'nold » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:52 am

eaters333 wrote:I think this is a no brainer, Hastings gives you way more opportunity in way more markets, in any kid of law


+1. OP, if this is actually a question, you need to do more research on law school in general. This is coming from someone that knows SU (not the University of Seattle, there is no such school) and loves the city of Seattle.

erniesto
Posts: 298
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:56 pm

Re: Hastings vs. University of Seattle

Postby erniesto » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:59 am

Are you getting any money from either?

Hastings tuition is ridiculous, and Seattle Univ isn't a juggernaut even in Seattle.

Also, why would you go to a lower tier 2 ranked school because of its legal writing? Sounds a little delusional to me.

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4854
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: Hastings vs. University of Seattle

Postby Borhas » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:58 pm

MD/JD2B wrote:Any thoughts? No diff in money; I am lured to Hastings by its health law program, and to Seattle U by its legal writing program. Eventually, would like to stay on the West Coast. Thanks for any input


conventional wisdom says Hastings all the way... though it's kind of surprising there is no diff in money.

jetlagz28
Posts: 191
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:56 pm

Re: Hastings vs. University of Seattle

Postby jetlagz28 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:04 pm

Hastings dominates SF.

Berkeley and Stanford grads have national options and many go to other markets, whereas Hastings is limited to the West. Hastings has strong alumni all over CA particularly in SF.

User avatar
TTTennis
Posts: 346
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:12 pm

Re: Hastings vs. University of Seattle

Postby TTTennis » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:08 pm

jetlagz28 wrote:Hastings dominates SF.

Berkeley and Stanford grads have national options and many go to other markets, whereas Hastings is limited to the West. Hastings has strong alumni all over CA particularly in SF.


While I wouldn't pay sticker for either of the two, I agree with the above.

fortissimo
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:05 am

Re: Hastings vs. University of Seattle

Postby fortissimo » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:01 pm

jetlagz28 wrote:Hastings dominates SF.

Berkeley and Stanford grads have national options and many go to other markets, whereas Hastings is limited to the West. Hastings has strong alumni all over CA particularly in SF.


Something like 85%+ of Berkeley grads stay in California...Hastings does not "dominate" SF. A lot of other top 14 students work in SF as well.

Seattle is a smaller market and it's very hard to break into. Top 14 grads do try to work in Seattle. (If it weren't so difficult to get into, it'd be my top choice market.) At sticker, both are very risky. I'd probably pick Hastings if I HAD to, but neither is going to be good for a job ITE.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Hastings vs. University of Seattle

Postby im_blue » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:13 pm

fortissimo wrote:
jetlagz28 wrote:Hastings dominates SF.

Berkeley and Stanford grads have national options and many go to other markets, whereas Hastings is limited to the West. Hastings has strong alumni all over CA particularly in SF.


Something like 85%+ of Berkeley grads stay in California...Hastings does not "dominate" SF. A lot of other top 14 students work in SF as well.

Seattle is a smaller market and it's very hard to break into. Top 14 grads do try to work in Seattle. (If it weren't so difficult to get into, it'd be my top choice market.) At sticker, both are very risky. I'd probably pick Hastings if I HAD to, but neither is going to be good for a job ITE.

Yeah, Hastings does not dominate SF. There are more than 800 T14 grads going to California every year (including more than 500 just from HYSCCNB), not to mention UCLA and Davis. Almost 70% of Berkeley grads and 43% of Stanford grads stay in California.

User avatar
Dignan
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:52 pm

Re: Hastings vs. University of Seattle

Postby Dignan » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:36 pm

im_blue wrote:
fortissimo wrote:
jetlagz28 wrote:Hastings dominates SF.

Berkeley and Stanford grads have national options and many go to other markets, whereas Hastings is limited to the West. Hastings has strong alumni all over CA particularly in SF.


Something like 85%+ of Berkeley grads stay in California...Hastings does not "dominate" SF. A lot of other top 14 students work in SF as well.

Seattle is a smaller market and it's very hard to break into. Top 14 grads do try to work in Seattle. (If it weren't so difficult to get into, it'd be my top choice market.) At sticker, both are very risky. I'd probably pick Hastings if I HAD to, but neither is going to be good for a job ITE.

Yeah, Hastings does not dominate SF. There are more than 800 T14 grads going to California every year (including more than 500 just from HYSCCNB), not to mention UCLA and Davis. Almost 70% of Berkeley grads and 43% of Stanford grads stay in California.

Yeah. Probably a good analogy to Hastings is Fordham in NYC. You've got two T10 schools in the area right above you, with graduates of lots of other top schools interested in your market. That doesn't mean that Hastings or Fordham are bad choices, but neither school comes close to dominating its market.

MD/JD2B
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:06 am

Re: Hastings vs. University of Seattle

Postby MD/JD2B » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:50 pm

Thanks for all your thoughts.
Likely Hastings and I hope my MD/JD combination will make me competitive vs Stanford or Cal grads. As per other people I've talked to with that combination in the Bay Area, it should. Don't know any MD/JDs in Seattle for comparison.

BTW, thanks for the correction--Seattle U and NOT University of Seattle. Must have eaten a bad oyster.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests