Rutgers-Newark vs Hofstra?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mimi317

Rutgers-Newark vs Hofstra?

Postby mimi317 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:27 pm

So I got into Rutgers-Newark with no money and into Hofstra, where I'm being considered for a Child and Family Advocacy fellowship (20k + 8k summers) in addition to a 5k scholarship. I've haven't heard too many great things about Hofstra from alums I've met but the fellowship is an incentive. I am interested in Family law but would like to keep my options open for other areas of law I might become interested in during law school. I'm debating whether the fellowship is even right for me.

I visited the Rutgers-Newark campus recently and was very impressed. As a NY resident I was pleased to hear that I would qualify for NJ tuition by signing a 12 month lease in NJ and the faculty seemed to really care about their students. I haven't visited Hofstra.

Any thoughts on which school to go to between these two? I haven't heard from my NYC schools (Brooklyn, Cardozo, SJU).

Thanks in advance for your help!

thepcv

Re: Rutgers-Newark vs Hofstra?

Postby thepcv » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:22 am

Newark is definitely the better school and will likely give you more job opportunities. With that said, the possible money from Hofstra would be hard to pass up.

I will say, however, even if you got all that $$ from Hofstra, you'd still probably be paying ~10K/year vs just over 21K/year (in state) at Newark. Personally, I'd still choose Newark.

inSouthAmerica

Postby inSouthAmerica » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:56 pm

im turning down 25k a year to go to newark (where i got 8k a year) over hofstra.

mimi317

Postby mimi317 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:52 pm

Thanks you guys! thepcv I appreciate your sincerity, I vetoed against Hofstra after giving the situation more thought. The notion of having my classes virtually picked out for me and summers spoken for didn't settle too well with me after all. Maybe I'll see you on campus, inSouthAmerica!

inSouthAmerica

Postby inSouthAmerica » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:46 pm

right on, we have a rutgers newark thread going strong at

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=98060

dreman510

Postby dreman510 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:48 pm

I would definitely choose Rutgers, no question.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”