Careers in Conservative Groups

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10384
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: Careers in Conservative Groups

Postby TTH » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:18 am

Just play a lot of golf and be rude to your minority classmates. You'll eventually get networked with the people who will get you where you want.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Careers in Conservative Groups

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:30 am

http://www.baylor.edu/president/search/

All OP needs to know. The holy land calls to him now!

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4862
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: Careers in Conservative Groups

Postby Borhas » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:21 am

ChrisC wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:1. Go to Regent Law School.

2. Gun your way to mediocre 1L grades. Make each one of your peers strive to be as ideologically pure as you (they never will).

2. Secure a 2L summer internship at Focus on the Family http://www.focusonthefamily.com/ .

3. Graduate in the bottom quartile of your class (optional).


4. Secure a long term position at Focus on the Family.

5. Get arrested for molesting male interns/ feds find your huge stash of child pronz

6.?????

7. Become a special contributor on Fox News. Later on become Glenn Beck's fill-in.

8.???

9. Profit


180.


Does anyone else find it lol-inducing that the most extreme socially conservative schools are also the shittiest?


BYU seems to do ok

User avatar
mb88
Posts: 167
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:15 pm

Re: Careers in Conservative Groups

Postby mb88 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:25 am

akarmenia1 wrote:...conservative PI firm such as the ACLJ.


Bam. I called it.

Guns, babies, Jesus.

User avatar
The Kid
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:33 pm

Re: Careers in Conservative Groups

Postby The Kid » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:44 pm

TipTravHoot wrote:Just play a lot of golf and be rude to your minority classmates. You'll eventually get networked with the people who will get you where you want.


I guess you mean like this one:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politic ... obama.html

User avatar
bernie shmegma
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: Careers in Conservative Groups

Postby bernie shmegma » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:17 pm

The Kid wrote:
TipTravHoot wrote:Just play a lot of golf and be rude to your minority classmates. You'll eventually get networked with the people who will get you where you want.


I guess you mean like this one:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politic ... obama.html


It is rather amazing how the same people (admitting strawman because I don't know you) that say its absurd to claim progressives are influenced by the communist manifesto, then turn and say how conservatives don't care about minorities.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Careers in Conservative Groups

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:21 am

bernie shmegma wrote:It is rather amazing how the same people (admitting strawman because I don't know you) that say its absurd to claim progressives are influenced by the communist manifesto, then turn and say how conservatives don't care about minorities.

This comment makes no sense.

democrattotheend
Posts: 429
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:04 pm

Re: Careers in Conservative Groups

Postby democrattotheend » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:37 pm

LOL, I sort of have the opposite predicament. I've been offered a huge scholarship at UVA but am afraid it's too conservative. If you have a scholarship at NYU, I'll trade you.

User avatar
FunkyJD
Posts: 1039
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:38 pm

Re: Careers in Conservative Groups

Postby FunkyJD » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:46 pm

democrattotheend wrote:LOL, I sort of have the opposite predicament. I've been offered a huge scholarship at UVA but am afraid it's too conservative. If you have a scholarship at NYU, I'll trade you.

Wouldn't it be awesome if we could set up an admissions exchange? Could we also issue insurance against missing the minimum GPA requirements for a scholarship through this exchange?

User avatar
Sauer Grapes
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:02 am

Re: Careers in Conservative Groups

Postby Sauer Grapes » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:37 pm

I'm amazed at the hatred being shown in this thread towards the OP. Sad really.

User avatar
FunkyJD
Posts: 1039
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:38 pm

Re: Careers in Conservative Groups

Postby FunkyJD » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:05 pm

These are kisses compared to what OP will endure should he decide to become a political professional. If you don't have a thick skin, you shouldn't be in politics.

User avatar
Fancy Pants
Posts: 231
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:32 pm

Re: Careers in Conservative Groups

Postby Fancy Pants » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:08 pm

FunkyJD wrote:These are kisses compared to what OP will endure should he decide to become a political professional. If you don't have a thick skin, you shouldn't be in politics.


OP seems to be "enduring" it just fine, but I'm sure he appreciates your oh-so-helpful comment.

User avatar
FunkyJD
Posts: 1039
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:38 pm

Re: Careers in Conservative Groups

Postby FunkyJD » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:14 pm

Fancy Pants wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:These are kisses compared to what OP will endure should he decide to become a political professional. If you don't have a thick skin, you shouldn't be in politics.


OP seems to be "enduring" it just fine, but I'm sure he appreciates your oh-so-helpful comment.

Why the sarcasm? If you've actually read this thread, you'll see that I've been supportive of OP. I'm just stating the obvious. Do you disagree with it?

User avatar
Fancy Pants
Posts: 231
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:32 pm

Re: Careers in Conservative Groups

Postby Fancy Pants » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:20 pm

FunkyJD wrote:
Fancy Pants wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:These are kisses compared to what OP will endure should he decide to become a political professional. If you don't have a thick skin, you shouldn't be in politics.


OP seems to be "enduring" it just fine, but I'm sure he appreciates your oh-so-helpful comment.

Why the sarcasm? If you've actually read this thread, you'll see that I've been supportive of OP. I'm just stating the obvious. Do you disagree with it?


I'm sorry, but your post seems completely useless. Either you a) think that nobody on this board knows politics is messy/dirty/painful (and for some reason think it's relevant to point this out) or b) think that the crap in this thread is somehow justified by the fact that OP wants a politically-related career and therefore anything goes.

Are either of those options good? I don't think so.

User avatar
FunkyJD
Posts: 1039
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:38 pm

Re: Careers in Conservative Groups

Postby FunkyJD » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:23 pm

Fancy Pants wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:
Fancy Pants wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:These are kisses compared to what OP will endure should he decide to become a political professional. If you don't have a thick skin, you shouldn't be in politics.


OP seems to be "enduring" it just fine, but I'm sure he appreciates your oh-so-helpful comment.

Why the sarcasm? If you've actually read this thread, you'll see that I've been supportive of OP. I'm just stating the obvious. Do you disagree with it?


I'm sorry, but your post seems completely useless. Either you a) think that nobody on this board knows politics is messy/dirty/painful (and for some reason think it's relevant to point this out) or b) think that the crap in this thread is somehow justified by the fact that OP wants a politically-related career and therefore anything goes.

Are either of those options good? I don't think so.

I'm just wondering why your panties are in a knot over such a simple comment. Angry much?

nax425
Posts: 182
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:14 am

Re: Careers in Conservative Groups

Postby nax425 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:24 pm

You should be fine no matter where you attend. That is, if you are determined and work toward establishing the connections that are going to get you where you want to be. Anyone with intelligence, whether liberal, conservative, or otherwise, is going to be capable of succeeding. I'd suggest ignoring the students who resort to making the inane liberal/conservative stereotypes and name-calling, and engage in actual conversations of merit. As long as you've got substance behind you, people worth being respected by will respect you. The rest can kiss it.

As an example, Ann Coulter, as part of a conservative PAC, filed lawsuits against BOTH of her alma maters (Michigan and Cornell). Attending an institution isn't going to stand in the way of someone who wants to make their mark - whatever that may be.

User avatar
bernie shmegma
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: Careers in Conservative Groups

Postby bernie shmegma » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:25 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
bernie shmegma wrote:It is rather amazing how the same people (admitting strawman because I don't know you) that say its absurd to claim progressives are influenced by the communist manifesto, then turn and say how conservatives don't care about minorities.

This comment makes no sense.


Yes it does.

User avatar
bernie shmegma
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: Careers in Conservative Groups

Postby bernie shmegma » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:33 pm

bernie shmegma wrote:
The Kid wrote:
TipTravHoot wrote:Just play a lot of golf and be rude to your minority classmates. You'll eventually get networked with the people who will get you where you want.


I guess you mean like this one:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politic ... obama.html


It is rather amazing how the same people (admitting strawman because I don't know you) that say its absurd to claim progressives are influenced by the communist manifesto, then turn and say how conservatives don't care about minorities.


VanWinkle,

Generally speaking, progressives claim that it is absurd for anyone to claim that their ideology is influenced by the communist manifesto. The same progressives, then turn and claim that by treating minorities rudely and playing golf one will connect with the right conservative people. Now since I don't know TipTravHoot, I had to say that this generalization was a straw man because I also don't know what he thinks about being told that his ideology is influenced by the communist manifesto. My point was not to make any accusation of ideology at all, but to point out hypocrisy. This required me to admit he may or may not fit the straw man to pre-empt my own potential hypocrisy and really to make the point through analogy.

User avatar
Aeon
Posts: 583
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:46 pm

Re: Careers in Conservative Groups

Postby Aeon » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:54 am

Most all of the top schools have a healthy number of both conservatives and liberals attending. In many cases, I wouldn't let the school's overall political leaning greatly influence my decision to attend, for as far as most law schools are concerned, they rarely lean heavily in one direction or another. Plus, you will be able to find both conservative and liberal student groups on campus (eg: Law School Democrats versus Law School Republicans, Federalist Society versus American Constitution Society, etc.).

When it comes to searching for a job, connections are important, as is the relative prestige of the institution attended. Thus, attending a top law school and being actively involved in a conservative or liberal student group (especially one that is a chapter of a nationwide organization) can often be to one's advantage in the job search if one seeks a career with a conservative or liberal PAC, respectively.

Of course, there are other considerations that might make a school with a specific political leaning a better fit for someone, but there are few who would be better-placed to make this determination than the applicant himself.

User avatar
mb88
Posts: 167
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:15 pm

Re: Careers in Conservative Groups

Postby mb88 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:42 am

nax425 wrote:...and engage in actual conversations of merit.


ACLJ admiration preempts actual conversations of merit.

nax425 wrote:As an example, Ann Coulter, as part of a conservative PAC, filed lawsuits against BOTH of her alma maters (Michigan and Cornell). Attending an institution isn't going to stand in the way of someone who wants to make their mark - whatever that may be.


Just what we need, for him to try and be another Ann Coulter. :roll:

On a related note, she also preempts actual conversations of merit.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Careers in Conservative Groups

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:41 pm

bernie shmegma wrote:VanWinkle,

Generally speaking, progressives claim that it is absurd for anyone to claim that their ideology is influenced by the communist manifesto. The same progressives, then turn and claim that by treating minorities rudely and playing golf one will connect with the right conservative people. Now since I don't know TipTravHoot, I had to say that this generalization was a straw man because I also don't know what he thinks about being told that his ideology is influenced by the communist manifesto. My point was not to make any accusation of ideology at all, but to point out hypocrisy. This required me to admit he may or may not fit the straw man to pre-empt my own potential hypocrisy and really to make the point through analogy.

I love how you admit this is a straw man argument even while you continue to make it.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Careers in Conservative Groups

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:42 pm

democrattotheend wrote:LOL, I sort of have the opposite predicament. I've been offered a huge scholarship at UVA but am afraid it's too conservative. If you have a scholarship at NYU, I'll trade you.

UVA is pretty even-handed overall. There's a good balance here.

User avatar
The Kid
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:33 pm

Re: Careers in Conservative Groups

Postby The Kid » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:50 pm

bernie shmegma wrote:VanWinkle,

Generally speaking, progressives claim that it is absurd for anyone to claim that their ideology is influenced by the communist manifesto. The same progressives, then turn and claim that by treating minorities rudely and playing golf one will connect with the right conservative people. Now since I don't know TipTravHoot, I had to say that this generalization was a straw man because I also don't know what he thinks about being told that his ideology is influenced by the communist manifesto. My point was not to make any accusation of ideology at all, but to point out hypocrisy. This required me to admit he may or may not fit the straw man to pre-empt my own potential hypocrisy and really to make the point through analogy.



Anyway, their ideology IS influenced by the communist manifesto.

User avatar
Jay-Electronica
Posts: 369
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: Careers in Conservative Groups

Postby Jay-Electronica » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:58 pm

Conservative Ideology can be summed up by the famous phrase in Jerry maguire "show me the money"

lol

nax425
Posts: 182
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:14 am

Re: Careers in Conservative Groups

Postby nax425 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:10 pm

mb88 wrote:
nax425 wrote:...and engage in actual conversations of merit.


ACLJ admiration preempts actual conversations of merit.

nax425 wrote:As an example, Ann Coulter, as part of a conservative PAC, filed lawsuits against BOTH of her alma maters (Michigan and Cornell). Attending an institution isn't going to stand in the way of someone who wants to make their mark - whatever that may be.


Just what we need, for him to try and be another Ann Coulter. :roll:

On a related note, she also preempts actual conversations of merit.


She was used as an example of a successful conservative that also attended liberal schools. I'm not making claims one way or the other regarding her as a political commentator. If you want to discuss her ideas, why don't you open up another topic on the board?

And I don't even know what the ACLJ is... what gives?




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests