Last minute applications Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rcharles

Bronze

Last minute applications

Post by rcharles » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:47 am

Well it's been a very unpredictable cycle thus far. I've been flat out dinged by a TTT and offered $ by a T2.

I came into the cycle with a 3.9/159 but re-took in February and am now sitting with a 3.9/164.

I am more-less hanging on to possibilities at LSU, Bama and CU Boulder. I've only been admitted to LSU so far...

My question is, are there any schools I should consider applying to this late in the game, given my increased LSAT score?

I am mainly concerned with minimizing debt and secondarily concerned with "prestige"

Aeon

Silver

Re: Last minute applications

Post by Aeon » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:02 am

Have you had a chance to check out the Law School Predictor site?

rcharles

Bronze

Post by rcharles » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:10 am

Aeon wrote:Have you had a chance to check out the Law School Predictor site?
Yes I have, but I guess what I'm really trying to find out is, which are the best schools that would be willing to offer me money this late in the cycle?

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:26 am

I think your chances are decent at Alabama if you can make sure they get that new LSAT score.

scribelaw

Silver

Post by scribelaw » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:39 am

OP, you're shooting far too low.

If you can wait until next cycle, you could ED to UVA and have a shot. At the least, schools like Vanderbilt, WUSTL, BU/BC, Notre Dame should be your targets.

That's a great GPA and congrats on the higher LSAT. Might as well use it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rcharles

Bronze

Post by rcharles » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:43 pm

scribelaw wrote:OP, you're shooting far too low.

If you can wait until next cycle, you could ED to UVA and have a shot. At the least, schools like Vanderbilt, WUSTL, BU/BC, Notre Dame should be your targets.

Thanks.

Assuming waiting until next cyce is not an option, what are my chances if I apply now to Vandy or Notre Dame and even if accepted shouldn't I pretty much expect to have to pay sticker?

Also, WUSTL recently sent me an email inviting me to apply but I'm concerned about their placement, I would ultimately want to practice in the southeast.

scribelaw

Silver

Post by scribelaw » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:49 pm

rcharles wrote:
scribelaw wrote:OP, you're shooting far too low.

Thanks.

Assuming waiting until next cyce is not an option, what are my chances if I apply now to Vandy or Notre Dame and even if accepted shouldn't I pretty much expect to have to pay sticker?

Also, WUSTL recently sent me an email inviting me to apply but I'm concerned about their placement, I would ultimately want to practice in the southeast.
If you're concerned about WUSTL's placement, you ought to be losing sleeping at night over LSU and Alabama's placement. Alabama has to give people iTunes gift cards to get them to apply.

I don't know how your chances would be affected by being this late in the cycle. My guess is it'd be analagous to being on a waitlist...The problem is, your LSAT is still a little low (although your GPA is great) so T30-type schools might be more willing to take you early in the cycle when they have more seats to give out.

I don't know your personal circumstances, but it seems crazy to go to a mediocre law school with poor job prospects when you now have the numbers to do something much better if you wait until next cycle.

Good luck either way, though.

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:38 pm

Certain WL at Vandy if you don't have a 167 or remarkably excellent softs.

rcharles

Bronze

Post by rcharles » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:49 pm

thickfreakness wrote:Certain WL at Vandy if you don't have a 167 or remarkably excellent softs.
Nice Tar. I like me some Black Keys...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”