Surfers?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
FlanAl

Surfers?

Postby FlanAl » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:25 pm

Anybody surf on here? How much is living by the coast playing a factor in which law schools you are aiming for. Anyone in law school and care to tell us how much time they get to surf. Anyone made any legal connections through surfing? Basically i'd like this to be the all things surfing thread.

gnarly dudes

wocehtoom

Re: Surfers?

Postby wocehtoom » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:33 pm

As much as I love surfing, I've made the decision to slowly wind down how much I surf in case I end up going to a school in the middle of the country. Kind of depressing, but as a rich lawyer I'll be able to fly to Indo a few times a year so maybe it'll all work out.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:36 pm

Thats pretty much my rational. That and the beach house I'll live in should be pretty close to some decent waves. haha But that middle of the country business makes me weary with all this go to law school where you want to practice talk.

jihrie

Postby jihrie » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:39 pm

I kiteboard, but I live in Charleston, SC right now and I'm looking at schools in Chicago, MI and NC....i'm hoping to go to UNC and yes i'll be inland but i'll be close to the outerbanks. hopefully i'll find some time to go if that's where I end up, but ultimately I have decided to put kiteboarding on the back burner for a little while. However, the more I think about it, the more I want to stay in Charleston and attend Charleston School of law even though theyre extremely new and have no ranking yet. I'm beginning to think that I'd rather be happy and be a big fish while still being able to do what I love. It's not all about money. I want to be happy. My advice would be to stay where you can surf. Surfing/kiteboarding are great social networks. Surfers tend to get into trouble and need lawyers, also, there are a ton of well off surfers/kiters in their middle ages that just want a new hobby. They are great people to have as contacts. I teach kiteboarding and I have met a TON of rich guys with great contacts. GREAT NETWORKING...DO WHAT YOU LOVE! you might just be miserable if you have to attend a land locked school. think hard about it and good luck

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:48 pm

Youre stoked you kite surf though because you can pretty much do that where ever there is a lake right? I guess its probably more fun when there are waves but its better than paddling around on a lake. Hows the normal surfing in charleston? NC gets all the coverage but I've always been interested in what the waves are like in SC. Charleston looks like a really cool city if it had waves it'd be even cooler.

jihrie

Postby jihrie » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:06 pm

Yeah Charleston is awesome, I'd recommend it for everybody. Unfortunately, we only get good waves a few times a year. Good is defined as about 8 ft..sometimes bigger. Yeah you can pretty much kite anywhere there is a lake, but there needs to be good clean wind...so it's gotta be a big lake - no trees...otherwise it's gusty. Normal surfing in Charleston is about waist to shoulder high. Although it's not the greatest, there are pretty much always guys out there tryin.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:15 pm

Thanks for the info. Just looking at a map it seems like the only city in the south (other than Florida) that might have a decent legal market and some easily accessible waves. Seems like it would be a really cool place to live.

barrel_bra

Postby barrel_bra » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:26 pm

I suffered through 4 awesome party crazy landlocked years at IU, and would NEVER do that to my soul again. Only applied to schools were the surf pumps (even if only on occasion) and is accessible. Cali, NYC, NJ, NC, FL, Oregon.

Bra, law school is going to be killer enough, got to be somewhere to escape and sneak in a few dawn patrols to keep the sanity.

Eddie would go!

jihrie

Postby jihrie » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:28 pm

You should definitely visit if you've never been there. I've lived there for the last 5 years and it is a GREAT place. I'm beginning to feel very depressed about the fact that I may have to leave. My problems are with Charleston School of Law. It has only been accredited for a few years. It is pretty much beyond a 4th tier school and it is expensive. However, I feel like I have a good chance of graduating in the top 10% and finding work there. Is it worth it? I'm goin nuts here.

barrel_bra

Postby barrel_bra » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:37 pm

I can't speak to the quality of life in Charleston or the Law School tier, but can tell anyone that reads this that the waves are shit.

rorystewart

Postby rorystewart » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:41 pm

I'm going to sue the sh*t out of some waves next year.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:50 pm

Looks like most of the Tier 1 Tier 2 schools aren't really that close to the beach. I mean schools in NC yeah but OBX is a long ways away from Chapel Hill. And getting to long island from columbia would be a bitch. No real dawn patrol potential at most. Anyone up for attempting a list of best schools for surfing? Saw that some people tried to do this a few years ago but the thread died real quick.

Definitely Good for surfing:
USD
Pepperdine
UCSB Law (if only haha)

mrm2083

Postby mrm2083 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:57 pm

I've only surfed a few times but I'm an avid wakeboarder. I recommend that you take on wakeboarding if your land locked as you can usually find a lake near by wherever you are. Also wakesurfing is extremely fun and really relaxing.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:59 pm

You gotta find someone with a boat too though

barrel_bra

Postby barrel_bra » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:00 pm

FlanAl wrote:Looks like most of the Tier 1 Tier 2 schools aren't really that close to the beach. I mean schools in NC yeah but OBX is a long ways away from Chapel Hill. And getting to long island from columbia would be a bitch. No real dawn patrol potential at most. Anyone up for attempting a list of best schools for surfing? Saw that some people tried to do this a few years ago but the thread died real quick.

USD
Pepperdine
UCSB Law (if only haha)

Bra, Hofstra is in Heapsted LI, you can long board to the boardwalk to check it before class, and trust me when nor'easters steamroll south, and 'cane season starts cranking you'll be getting spit out of tubes left and right.

Hofstra, St. Johns, Fordham, NYU, NYLS, Seton Hall will all give you access to pumping waves. Hofstra is obviously the closest to the water on LI, but the others would all allow you to take a train to either LI, far off Montauk which has wicked reef passes, or south to NJ which also has thumping waves when it's on.

University of Miami is so close to the water you fall in when you get out of bed, waves aren't great but you can't beat year round sessions in boardies.

Away from the Right Coast out West the best schools for surfing our obvious:

USD
Cal Western (SD)
Pepperdine
UCSB
UCLA
Loyola
USC
or just down grade go to Whittier and go score The Wedge on the big souths!

mrm2083

Postby mrm2083 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:01 pm

Find a lake and there will be wakeboarders, people are really chill too and as long as you pitch in for gas I'm sure you'll have no problem getting a ride

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:17 pm

The heads up on hofstra was solid. had no idea
Loyola, USC and UCLA are all a solid drive to the beach. I think they are probably the best choices for higher ranked schools but I'm pretty sure they are all a solid drive from any decent waves. (correct me if I'm wrong on that I'm also trying to factor in traffic). Commute from Santa Monica or Venice? Or deal with traffic to get to the waves?

Anyone know anything about U of Maine? Snowy but could be sick since Portland is right on the coast. Not sure if there are any waves close tot he school though.

07ggfa5

Postby 07ggfa5 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:42 pm

U of Hawaii at Manoa. 10 min from the beach. Job prospects aren't the best but you get some good waves.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:47 am

How are job prospects at Hawwaii. It seems like since they only have one law school that it would pretty much dominate the market. Is the market just really small or do people from better schools get the jobs?

Another thought
Law school in Puerto Rico? how are Job prospects from one of their schools? I'm pretty sure (I think there are only two on the island) they are ABA accredited.

barrel_bra

Postby barrel_bra » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:27 am

Unless you come to Hawaii with a ton of money or you are from there, don't bother, jobs are super scarce.

Puerto Rico is not a place you want to spend 3years. True, the waves can go, but about a week or two at a time and you're over it.

dalancas

Postby dalancas » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:42 pm

I have actually obsessed about this issue myself. Here are my thoughts: I probably will not get to go surfing every single day or even much more than twice a week during law school. So in a way, anything about 20 miles or less is alright.

In Los Angeles, obviously the best school for surfing would be Pepperdine. UCLA would also be a bit closer to Santa Monica than USC and Loyola, but it depends on where you live anyways. The thing that concerns me is that okay so I live in El Segundo/El Porto and have to drive to school every single day in traffic. That is going to take a lot of time.

USD would make surfing in Law School a fairly easy thing to do. Straight west of USD is Mission Beach, Ocean Beach and Pacific Beach. Although, I am a fan of the uncrowded North County breaks myself.

When it comes to the Bay Area, Hastings (San Francisco) is sort of close to the well-known Ocean Beach -but you have to be really, really good to paddle out there in the Winter. Now that I think of it, if you lived over on the west side of town, you could probably go surfing there during the winter. Down south, Santa Clara and Stanford also offer the possibility of doing a road trip to Santa Cruz -which is about 30 miles away from the Santa Clara.

Right now, it is looking like my future school will be Loyola. It is downtown LA and anyway you slice it, it will probably mean that weekday surf sessions will probably not be possible -at least during the school year. But on the weekends, there is a plethora of decent surf spots to get a study break in with. Oh and at least see if your school has a surfing club. At Loyola there is a group called OLAS. Hopefully I will get in touch with them if I go there.

So, after looking into it, I have decided to rank each school in order of surfability -along with what their prime breaks would be!

Pepperdine (Malibu)
University of San Diego (Blacks)
UC Irvine (Newport/Salt Creek)
Chapman (Newport)
UCLA (Santa Monica/El Porto)
USC/Loyola/Southwestern (El Porto/Haggerty's/Seal Beach)
Hastings (Ocean Beach)
Stanford/Santa Clara (Steamers Lane/Santa Cruz)

chris0805

Postby chris0805 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:00 pm

I'll say this: You CAN get in some good surf at a Manhattan-based Law school, but it's a pain to store your boards, the subway ride is l-o-n-g, and the waves can be finicky. I mean, they can be really good in the fall and early winter, but it can be tough to coordinate your schedule with swell. Oh yea, don't forget to bring your winter wet-suit :lol:.

I would also add, though, that law school (and being a lawyer) will cut into your surfing regardless. You have to make sacrifices in life and, to me, following a career path that I'm passionate about has been worth it for me, even if I do constantly complain about not getting to surf enough.

autarkh

Postby autarkh » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:20 pm

barrel_bra wrote:
FlanAl wrote:Looks like most of the Tier 1 Tier 2 schools aren't really that close to the beach. I mean schools in NC yeah but OBX is a long ways away from Chapel Hill. And getting to long island from columbia would be a bitch. No real dawn patrol potential at most. Anyone up for attempting a list of best schools for surfing? Saw that some people tried to do this a few years ago but the thread died real quick.

USD
Pepperdine
UCSB Law (if only haha)

Bra, Hofstra is in Heapsted LI, you can long board to the boardwalk to check it before class, and trust me when nor'easters steamroll south, and 'cane season starts cranking you'll be getting spit out of tubes left and right.

Hofstra, St. Johns, Fordham, NYU, NYLS, Seton Hall will all give you access to pumping waves. Hofstra is obviously the closest to the water on LI, but the others would all allow you to take a train to either LI, far off Montauk which has wicked reef passes, or south to NJ which also has thumping waves when it's on.

University of Miami is so close to the water you fall in when you get out of bed, waves aren't great but you can't beat year round sessions in boardies.

Away from the Right Coast out West the best schools for surfing our obvious:

USD
Cal Western (SD)
Pepperdine
UCSB
UCLA
Loyola
USC
or just down grade go to Whittier and go score The Wedge on the big souths!

Gotta add UC Irvine to that list. Right next to Huntington and Newport. :D

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:07 pm

How's traffic from Irvine to the beach? doesn't seem that far but no idea how traffic would effect it.

also

CROWDS all these cali places other than hastings are super crowded. I don't know much about the crowds on the east coast but would be stoked to find out. I could see all the NYC beaches being super crowded but really don't know. Any east coasters want to drop some knowledge?

Part of the reason I think Maine could be sick is that I doubt its that crowded up there.

Also if any of you are considering sd feel free to ask questions its where i'm from.

chris0805

Postby chris0805 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:24 pm

CROWDS all these cali places other than hastings are super crowded. I don't know much about the crowds on the east coast but would be stoked to find out. I could see all the NYC beaches being super crowded but really don't know. Any east coasters want to drop some knowledge?

NYC beaches are pretty empty after labor day and before May (which is actually when the surf is good and also the time law school is in session). During this time, you can surf anywhere on long island. Now, Montauk or 90th street at rockaway can get crowded, but it's easy to find a spot pretty much all to your self (even if you can only use the subway).

Also, New England is getting more crowded every year, but it's still NOTHING compared to Cali or HI crowds.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”