Cornell w/120K versus Columbia at sticker Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school?

Cornell with $120K
65%
Columbia at sticker
35%

Total votes: 292

Jules Winnfield

Bronze

Re: Cornell w/120K versus Columbia at sticker

Post by Jules Winnfield » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:49 pm

Last edited by Jules Winnfield on Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lawduder

Bronze

Post by lawduder » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:50 pm

prestige whoring is starting to show ITT

johndh

New

Post by johndh » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:53 pm

I keep seeing arguments talking about Cornell's placement at the medians but is it too unrealistic to assume that with such a large scholarship the OP could potentially finish around the top of the class where employment opportunities are far different? (I hope so, I just received the same scholarship, although without the CLS acceptance, and I am seriously considering accepting it.)

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:08 pm

Jules Winnfield wrote:In all fairness and actuality, you're over-hyping the difference between Columbia and Cornell. The fact that OP wouldn't need to go for BIGLAW/clerkships were he to attend Cornell just proves that it's a better choice than going in 6-figure debt and having to compete for a BIGLAW job.
To be clear, I am not interested in a federal clerkship for reasons of prestige. I am interested because I think being a clerk would be very interesting, and I think that the opportunities the clerkship would open up, particularly in appellate litigation and in elite PI, could lead to an exciting career that I would enjoy. This isn't all about money and prestige.

OP, there is a clear-cut, correct answer. Some of these TLS posters are just making it really difficult by clouding the options with their own prestige-whoring opinions/thoughts. Remember that most of these people in this thread are 0Ls who, for all their wishful thinking, have no true sense of how hiring/employment prospects are for Columbia v. Cornell.
In defense of the other posters, many of them are providing data and links that show that CLS offers significant advantages over Cornell. You, on the other hand, keep asserting the same things over and over without any data to back up your claims. I appreciate your perspective, and I think there's something to your position, but you have been less than persuasive ITT.

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:12 pm

johndh wrote:I keep seeing arguments talking about Cornell's placement at the medians but is it too unrealistic to assume that with such a large scholarship the OP could potentially finish around the top of the class where employment opportunities are far different? (I hope so, I just received the same scholarship, although without the CLS acceptance, and I am seriously considering accepting it.)
The conventional wisdom is that it's a mistake to assume you will finish near the top of your class. There is, the argument runs, a fair amount of randomness and luck in law school grading. And, as you and I both know, we're just a blown logic game away from having numbers that look like the typical Cornell Law student. We're not that special.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:13 pm

Dignan, it's hard to say if you should take Columbia or Cornell, but one thing is for sure: don't listen to Jules Winnfield.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:15 pm

Dignan wrote:
Jules Winnfield wrote:OP, there is a clear-cut, correct answer. Some of these TLS posters are just making it really difficult by clouding the options with their own prestige-whoring opinions/thoughts. Remember that most of these people in this thread are 0Ls who, for all their wishful thinking, have no true sense of how hiring/employment prospects are for Columbia v. Cornell.
In defense of the other posters, many of them are providing data and links that show that CLS offers significant advantages over Cornell. You, on the other hand, keep asserting the same things over and over without any data to back up your claims. I appreciate your perspective, and I think there's something to your position, but you have been less than persuasive ITT.
+1. Jules is the most clueless 0L ITT. Consider his evidence: "go to the IVY league law school which is offering a FULL RIDE in stead of paying sticker at another IVY in the same state. They are both in the T14. I really don't see the big difference between going to Cornell vs. Columbia (separated by 9 spots)." I mean, seriously? There may be good reasons to choose Cornell, but he hasn't given any. :roll:

Jules Winnfield

Bronze

Post by Jules Winnfield » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:29 pm

Last edited by Jules Winnfield on Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jules Winnfield

Bronze

Post by Jules Winnfield » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:35 pm

Last edited by Jules Winnfield on Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Jay-Electronica

Bronze

Post by Jay-Electronica » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:38 pm

Cmon people. There really is no need to derail this thread. Bronte, that was really unnecessary of you to come in here just to bash one person. The better action to take would have been to PM OP about what you thought. Now, you have another poster follow you with his opinion and also a reaction from Julles. So, as expected this thread has turned into a pissing contest when it should be about giving advice to OP. There is no need for this sorta thing. So, lets take a chill pill and get back to the thread topic guys. Thanks

itsfine

Bronze

Post by itsfine » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:46 pm

Jules Winnfield wrote:You guys are fucking idiots. I can't believe that most of you people in this thread would advise OP to go into 6-figure debt just so that he can go to Columbia and have a shot at BIGLAW to repay debt, etc when he has a FULL RIDE to Cornell Law, which is still a T14. Cornell is VERY respected in New York and graduating from there is going to open up MANY doors for OP. The fact that you'll be coming out with no debt is a boon on top of it.

And, OP, the fact that this is really an issue for you demonstrates your cluelessness and inability to make a decision. It also shows how badly of a prestige whore when, in actuality, nobody in the real world truly thinks less of a Cornell grad than a Columbia graduate. And I seriously doubt employment prospects are THAT much worse than Columbia's. How anybody turns down a full ride from Cornell Law is ridiculous, especially in this economy.

I think the prestige whores in this thread are underestimating the debt burden of attending CLS.

As a CLS admit, I'm telling you that if I were in your shoes, I would attend Cornell in a heartbeat.

thats the one to read

AngryAvocado

Silver

Post by AngryAvocado » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:12 pm

Jules Winnfield wrote:You guys are fucking idiots. I can't believe that most of you people in this thread would advise OP to go into 6-figure debt just so that he can go to Columbia and have a shot at BIGLAW to repay debt, etc when he has a FULL RIDE to Cornell Law, which is still a T14. Cornell is VERY respected in New York and graduating from there is going to open up MANY doors for OP. The fact that you'll be coming out with no debt is a boon on top of it.

And, OP, the fact that this is really an issue for you demonstrates your cluelessness and inability to make a decision. It also shows how badly of a prestige whore when, in actuality, nobody in the real world truly thinks less of a Cornell grad than a Columbia graduate. And I seriously doubt employment prospects are THAT much worse than Columbia's. How anybody turns down a full ride from Cornell Law is ridiculous, especially in this economy.

I think the prestige whores in this thread are underestimating the debt burden of attending CLS.

As a CLS admit, I'm telling you that if I were in your shoes, I would attend Cornell in a heartbeat.

As much as I want to like you since I'm a huge Pulp Fiction fan, I can't help but think you're a complete idiot. You don't know what you're talking about when it comes to the NBA (as evidenced by the NBA Chatter thread), you don't know what you're talking about when it comes to NYU vs. Chicago hiring prospects outside of NYC (as evidenced by the URM thread), and you clearly don't know what you're talking about if you consider CLS and Cornell graduates equals in the eyes of employers. Until you're willing to actually back up what you say with some hard evidence--like some that demonstrates Cornell and CLS are even relatively equal in ANY category--please stop repeating the same opinion and calling everyone else idiots for disagreeing with you.

Jules Winnfield

Bronze

Post by Jules Winnfield » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:16 pm

Last edited by Jules Winnfield on Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Jules Winnfield

Bronze

Post by Jules Winnfield » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:21 pm

Last edited by Jules Winnfield on Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:21 pm

Columbia.

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:24 pm

Jules Winnfield wrote:
Thank you for adding something positive to the OP's situation...NOT!
Indeed, AngryAvocado. You should be ashamed. As Jules has demonstrated, the way to contribute something positive to my situation is to call me "clueless," "[unable] to make a decision," and a "prestige whore." Apparently, I deserve this because, a mere two days after receiving the offer from Cornell, I am interested in considering all sides of the decision.

agentdedalus

New

Post by agentdedalus » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:26 pm

rayiner wrote:Columbia.
rayiner sums this up nicely and hits all the major point(s). hth.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gossipgirl

Bronze

Post by gossipgirl » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:28 pm

Jules Winnfield wrote:
AngryAvocado wrote:

As much as I want to like you since I'm a huge Pulp Fiction fan, I can't help but think you're a complete idiot. You don't know what you're talking about when it comes to the NBA (as evidenced by the NBA Chatter thread), you don't know what you're talking about when it comes to NYU vs. Chicago hiring prospects outside of NYC (as evidenced by the URM thread), and you clearly don't know what you're talking about if you consider CLS and Cornell graduates equals in the eyes of employers. Until you're willing to actually back up what you say with some hard evidence--like some that demonstrates Cornell and CLS are even relatively equal in ANY category--please stop repeating the same opinion and calling everyone else idiots for disagreeing with you.
And RC FAIL. I never said Cornell was a better choice (or even relatively equal). However, I think that the trade-off in attending Cornell (for FREE) and having slightly lower employment prospects is worth not attending CLS and, subsequently, going 6-figure debt.

Please, leave me alone.
I'm curious if you know of any evidence that would prove that the employment prospects only differ slightly?

I'm not trying to instigate, just genuinely curious as a CLS admit.

Jules Winnfield

Bronze

Post by Jules Winnfield » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:31 pm

Last edited by Jules Winnfield on Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:32 pm

Jules Winnfield wrote:But I would take Cornell for FREE and OP wouldn't necessarily have to go for BIGLAW and be pressured to repay loans should he attend. I'll get back when I find stats but I think Cornell holds it own quite well in NY, even with CLS and NYU present.
What are you going to do besides biglaw? CLS will give you much better opportunities in government, etc, too. You can do small law, but what's the point? Work the same number of hours as biglaw and get paid a lot less for it.

EijiMiyake

Bronze

Post by EijiMiyake » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:33 pm

Jules Winnfield wrote:
gossipgirl wrote: I'm curious if you know of any evidence that would prove that the employment prospects only differ slightly?

I'm not trying to instigate, just genuinely curious as a CLS admit.
I'm a CLS admit myself...I'm in the process of comparing CLS and Cornell's employment BIGLAW prospects but I'd be using stats from 2008, at the most recent.

But I would take Cornell for FREE and OP wouldn't necessarily have to go for BIGLAW and be pressured to repay loans should he attend. I'll get back when I find stats but I think Cornell holds it own quite well in NY, even with CLS and NYU present.

So, the answer is NO, Jules Winfield does not know of any evidence to support his claims.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Jules Winnfield

Bronze

Post by Jules Winnfield » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:34 pm

Last edited by Jules Winnfield on Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:35 pm

Jules Winnfield wrote:
rayiner wrote:
Jules Winnfield wrote:But I would take Cornell for FREE and OP wouldn't necessarily have to go for BIGLAW and be pressured to repay loans should he attend. I'll get back when I find stats but I think Cornell holds it own quite well in NY, even with CLS and NYU present.
What are you going to do besides biglaw? CLS will give you much better opportunities in government, etc, too. You can do small law, but what's the point? Work the same number of hours as biglaw and get paid a lot less for it.
Umm, MIDLAW, government, PI and academia. BIGLAW is not the end-all, be-all.

And while CLS is undoubtedly a better school, Cornell still gets you quite ahead in the legal field. This is no less the same for New York.
If I can't get biglaw from Cornell, my backup plan is academia??? LOL please just stop now before you embarrass yourself further.
Last edited by im_blue on Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:36 pm

Jules Winnfield wrote:Umm, MIDLAW, government, PI and academia. BIGLAW is not the end-all, be-all.
MIDLAW barely exists. You can get a better government or PI job from CLS and the LRAP/IBR will negate any cost difference. Academia is a huge stretch from Columbia and pretty much not an option from Cornell.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:37 pm

2009 NLJ250:

- Columbia: 54.4%
- Cornell: 41.5%

http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/law%20sc ... page12.pdf

2008 Federal Clerkships:

- Columbia: 8.6% (see footnote)
- Cornell: 10.9%

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =1&t=75513