A question to which I already know the answer

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
EmilyC.

A question to which I already know the answer

Postby EmilyC. » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:26 am

...but I think I need to keep hearing it.

Is it worth it to attend a provisionally accredited law school? Suppose you can attend such school and graduate with no debt? I have applied to four law schools. One is a stretch (UNC), one is a possibility but I did apply late (Campbell), another will be fully accredited this year and is actually my top choice (Elon), and the last is the only one that has accepted me so far (Charlotte). The scholarship package covers the cost of tuition plus some.

I will be 30 in August. I don't want to put off law school for another year. I only took the LSAT once and got a 156. I have a LSAC fee-waiver and am taking it again in June, though. I had a 4.0 GPA, several years of work experience in the social services field and court system. I applied late to law schools because I finally decided I am going whether or not my husband is willing to move with me so I will be the single mother of two when I do go and need to do this as cheaply as possible.

I have no desire to work in big law. I just want to stay in my home state hopefully moving back home. I'd like to work in the government- DA's office or Atty. General's so I know I won't be making much money which is another reason I need to stay debt free.

Burgstaller04

Re: A question to which I already know the answer

Postby Burgstaller04 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:34 am

Sounds like you do know the answer. Follow the money trail. Staying in state and doing a job that you already have similar experience in doesn't require a Yale degree. Get a good job for super cheap and support those kiddos

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:40 am

Follow the money trail. Staying in state and doing a job that you already have similar experience in doesn't require a Yale degree. Get a good job for super cheap and support those kiddos

how man AGs and DAs in NC do you think went to Elon?

retake the LSAT> go to your state school for free/cheap. it seems you are in NC which means you could also go to University of Tennessee and, I believe, some schools in Virginia with in-state tuition. if you are that averse to retaking the LSAT you could probably apply to UTenn this year and get in (maybe with a little $) with a 4.0 156. also, have you thought about ASL at all?

rcharles

Postby rcharles » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:47 am

EmilyC. wrote:...but I think I need to keep hearing it.

Is it worth it to attend a provisionally accredited law school? Suppose you can attend such school and graduate with no debt? I have applied to four law schools. One is a stretch (UNC), one is a possibility but I did apply late (Campbell), another will be fully accredited this year and is actually my top choice (Elon), and the last is the only one that has accepted me so far (Charlotte). The scholarship package covers the cost of tuition plus some.

I will be 30 in August. I don't want to put off law school for another year. I only took the LSAT once and got a 156. I have a LSAC fee-waiver and am taking it again in June, though. I had a 4.0 GPA, several years of work experience in the social services field and court system. I applied late to law schools because I finally decided I am going whether or not my husband is willing to move with me so I will be the single mother of two when I do go and need to do this as cheaply as possible.

I have no desire to work in big law. I just want to stay in my home state hopefully moving back home. I'd like to work in the government- DA's office or Atty. General's so I know I won't be making much money which is another reason I need to stay debt free.

I would strongly advise you to look at the fine print of your scholarship offer. I have heard some horror stories about for-profit law schools attaching some rather unreasonable conditions and stipulations to their scholly offers which often result in the receipient losing the benefit.
Make sure your offer is legit before you seriously consider it.

turkfish

Postby turkfish » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:10 am

I'm reluctant to respond to this thread because you claim to already know the answer. Nevertheless, I think you should strongly reconsider not putting off law school another year. Just because you would like to do something this year doesn't mean it's in your best interest. And spending three years of your life in law school to have essentially no job prospects is not in your best interest right now, even if the law school is free. Law school is very demanding, and you should consider the impact on your family for three years.

I can honestly see this as being a good decision if Elon would give you a reasonable chance at legal employment. But I know 1Ls and 2Ls all over the T14 (including Stanford and Harvard) that currently can't find unpaid legal work for the summer at the types of offices you'd want to work. I just can't see any AG's offices PAYING the average (or even top 10%) Elon grad in this market when there will still be out-of-work lawyers from Duke (many with practical experience) scrambling for UNPAID positions.

I do believe things will be better for the class of 2013, but not to the levels they were before the recession. And even if legal hiring did reach those levels within three years, that doesn't fully remedy the job situation you will be facing. Yes, hiring at law firms will pick up, so fewer recent law school grads will be looking for government positions. But there will still be plenty of left-over graduates from the classes of '10, '11, '12, looking for jobs even in the most optimistic of scenarios.

You are obviously talented and dedicated to have finished and scored a 156 after getting a migraine during the middle of the test, so I would strongly encourage you to invest in your future by taking an additional year off and putting yourself in a position to succeed.

Postby 270910 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:21 am

No.

mhernton

Postby mhernton » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:28 am

turkfish wrote:I'm reluctant to respond to this thread because you claim to already know the answer. Nevertheless, I think you should strongly reconsider not putting off law school another year. Just because you would like to do something this year doesn't mean it's in your best interest. And spending three years of your life in law school to have essentially no job prospects is not in your best interest right now, even if the law school is free. Law school is very demanding, and you should consider the impact on your family for three years.

I can honestly see this as being a good decision if Elon would give you a reasonable chance at legal employment. But I know 1Ls and 2Ls all over the T14 (including Stanford and Harvard) that currently can't find unpaid legal work for the summer at the types of offices you'd want to work. I just can't see any AG's offices PAYING the average (or even top 10%) Elon grad in this market when there will still be out-of-work lawyers from Duke (many with practical experience) scrambling for UNPAID positions.

I do believe things will be better for the class of 2013, but not to the levels they were before the recession. And even if legal hiring did reach those levels within three years, that doesn't fully remedy the job situation you will be facing. Yes, hiring at law firms will pick up, so fewer recent law school grads will be looking for government positions. But there will still be plenty of left-over graduates from the classes of '10, '11, '12, looking for jobs even in the most optimistic of scenarios.

You are obviously talented and dedicated to have finished and scored a 156 after getting a migraine during the middle of the test, so I would strongly encourage you to invest in your future by taking an additional year off and putting yourself in a position to succeed.

Well Said....In addition you may need to leave the kids with your husband. You will not be able to take care of them if they are young and do well in law school. My wife and I will be living in two different states while I got to law school for at least the first year. I need to focus on law school and she needs to finish undergrad

mytwocents

Postby mytwocents » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:58 am

If you're trying to stay within NC, Campbell (if you can get some $$) would be a good option. I don't know much about Elon, tbh. Just don't do Charlotte School of Law. I almost did, when I scored a 151 on my LSAT and (like you) was reluctant to wait out a year and retake. For-profit schools are just sketchy...one thing that really convinced me out of attending CSL was someone calling it the "University of Phoenix of law schools". Yeah, EWW. Also, I live close to Charlotte, so I've been hearing a little about employment prospects for CSL grads...NOT GOOD.

But seriously. You have a 4.0. Don't waste it! UNC loves high GPAs. I really think your best option would be to retake. In-state tuition is pretty cheap as far as law schools go (around 16K, I believe), and UNC definitely has some prestige within NC...I think it might be worth it.

jakeoooh

Postby jakeoooh » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:20 pm

Yeah, definitely don't waste your 4.0 on a non-accredited school. I don't think UNC is that big of a stretch for you given how much they love high GPAs (like REALLY love- I have a 175 LSAT and a 3.0, and at UNC your index score is higher than mine). LawSchoolPredictor gives you a 67% shot, and even though the tuition will be much higher than your free ride, it'll give you tons of employment opportunities within NC after you graduate. I too will be 30 in July, so I understand your reluctance to 'put it off for another year'- but you shouldn't waste the next three years at a crappy school just because you don't want to wait for one. If you get into UNC definitely go there. If you don't, buckle down and re-take the LSAT- even 3 or 4 points would put you over-the-top at UNC.

Notor

Postby Notor » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:26 pm

Retake the LSAT and break 160, you will be golden.

EmilyC.

Postby EmilyC. » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:48 pm

Thank you everyone...

I just got my acceptance to Campbell today. So, I am breathing a little easier.

I am already signed up to take the LSAT again June 7.

Once again, I appreciate everyone's feedback so much!

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:50 pm

EmilyC. wrote:I am already signed up to take the LSAT again June 7.

Good. Go to UNC after you get a 5-point increase.

Favor2010

Postby Favor2010 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:43 am

Hopefully with your numbers, you will be eligible for some money at Campbell! Campbell's a great option, if you can afford it. Good luck on your UNC application. There is still hope. I am over 30 with a family, and as great as going to law school is....I realize that I can only do this their with support. So make a decision that works best for you and the family. Good luck moving forward!
EmilyC. wrote:Thank you everyone...

I just got my acceptance to Campbell today. So, I am breathing a little easier.

I am already signed up to take the LSAT again June 7.

Once again, I appreciate everyone's feedback so much!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”