(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Re: Insight Please: Fordham v.s. BU

Postby tycho_brahe » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:22 pm

I think you're overthinking it. BU and Fordham are about the same in terms of job prospects. I don't understand why you aren't just picking Fordham, as your SO is there. For me, that'd be the deciding factor. However, I'd just visit both, and pick the one you like better.

Re: Insight Please: Fordham v.s. BU

Postby daniel5215 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:10 am

OP you should visit Boston and go with your heart.

Re: Fordham v.s. Boston University

Postby Blindmelon » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:19 am

BigLawyer wrote:
Xiaolong wrote:
Mattalones wrote:
Xiaolong wrote:Fordham if you are dead set on NYC. If that is not the case, BU is the better choice. It is a lot cheaper, has more of a national reach than Fordham, better faculty, and it is also better at PI pleacement and clerkships.

I don't really know if I am deadest on NYC. RIght now, I will go wherever is best if I have to leave CA. If I were to go into a different legal market than NYC, would the prospects be as good out of BU. Perhaps NYC out of Fordham will be a better (more sure market paying job) than any setup out of BU in another market. I don't know though. Anyone know about that topic?

In terms of placement, BU and Fordham are pretty similar, although in the most recent data, BU placed about 5% more people into biglaw than Fordham. (--LinkRemoved--)

Also, another difference is that BUs placement is more national(--LinkRemoved--) and BU co-dominates its market, while Fordham(--LinkRemoved--) is only good for NYC and faces competition from Columbia and NYU plus the rest of the T14.

So, for someone like you who is not yet set on a market I would think that BU will give you more flexibility. Also keep in mind that sticker at Fordham is like 210K, which IMO is a ridiculous price tag for a school of Fordham's rank.

I wouldn't say that BU codominates its market. Last I checked, boston law firms were picking up Harvard and BC grads at a higher rate than BU grads, which puts it in the same boat as Fordham. Just saying.

You guys should check your stats before relying on some random website. http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1 - NLJ itself puts BC/BU at the same level and both about Fordham by 5% (which is really NOT a big difference at all).

Fordham does better than BU/BC in clerkships, but BU does arguably better in fed gov/PI work (3 to DOJ, 1 SEC, FTCs, PMFs, etc.).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”