The End All For Each State's Best Law Schools

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
kswiss
Posts: 391
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:58 am

Re: The End All For Each State's Best Law Schools

Postby kswiss » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:24 pm

prospectiveprospect wrote:
lawduder wrote:You know that there are schools outside the t14 that are going to do better in certain states than the "best school in the state."

yes i agree but in general T14 law schools could dominate most states if they need/want to.


I think what he was getting at is that some lower ranked schools might also dominate other states.

For ex. UW will beat both L&C and Oregon in Portland, BYU & Utah place better in ID than U Idaho and UNLV in NV, etc.

(I only really know one geographical area if you can tell from all of my school references.)

User avatar
prospectiveprospect
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: The End All For Each State's Best Law Schools

Postby prospectiveprospect » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:28 pm

kswiss wrote:
prospectiveprospect wrote:
lawduder wrote:You know that there are schools outside the t14 that are going to do better in certain states than the "best school in the state."

yes i agree but in general T14 law schools could dominate most states if they need/want to.


I think what he was getting at is that some lower ranked schools might also dominate other states.

For ex. UW will beat both L&C and Oregon in Portland, BYU & Utah place better in ID than U Idaho and UNLV in NV, etc.

(I only really know one geographical area if you can tell from all of my school references.)

I could put UW in Oregon's list. so we can list how each states prospective jobs are divided.
EDIT: i added an amendment, so people are not confused. and schools from other states can be added. :)
Last edited by prospectiveprospect on Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: The End All For Each State's Best Law Schools

Postby im_blue » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:28 pm

rx3r wrote:
prospectiveprospect wrote:
rx3r wrote:I feel like you may need to geographically break down the state of California further. (Example: Loyola does very well in LA but I don't know how well they place in Norcal.)

I could do that how should i break it down?


You might start out with Los Angeles and San Francisco. If people are interested you could then expand to other legal markets.

The thing is, UCLA probably matches or beats Davis/Hastings in the SF Bay area. So the answer would be UCLA for both NorCal and SoCal.
Last edited by im_blue on Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rx3r
Posts: 226
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: The End All For Each State's Best Law Schools

Postby rx3r » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:28 pm

Excluding Stanford, here is my impression of dominance of California schools in LA:

1. UCLA
2. USC
(those two seem pretty close)
3. Loyola

Also, Pepperdine > Southwestern

User avatar
OneKnight
Posts: 429
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:00 pm

Re: The End All For Each State's Best Law Schools

Postby OneKnight » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:29 pm

North Carolina =
1) UNC
2) Wake Forest
(A close second, IMO)

User avatar
Maillot Jaune
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:19 am

Re: The End All For Each State's Best Law Schools

Postby Maillot Jaune » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:29 pm

For Virginia, Washington and Lee edges out William and Mary by a hair.
Similar to Mass, it seems there are two school that are neck and neck.
Beyond the US News overall ranking, the specific rankings given to W&L by Judges/Lawyers and from peers (other schools), is ranked higher than W&M and therefore W&L is VA's best LS (IMO).

User avatar
rx3r
Posts: 226
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: The End All For Each State's Best Law Schools

Postby rx3r » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:30 pm

im_blue wrote:
rx3r wrote:
prospectiveprospect wrote:
rx3r wrote:I feel like you may need to geographically break down the state of California further. (Example: Loyola does very well in LA but I don't know how well they place in Norcal.)

I could do that how should i break it down?


You might start out with Los Angeles and San Francisco. If people are interested you could then expand to other legal markets.

The thing is, UCLA probably matches or beats Davis/Hastings in the SF Bay area. So the answer would be UCLA for both NorCal and SoCal.


You can put UCLA in the SF area too, but what I'm saying is a school like Loyola is going to be higher in LA than SF, so it helps to separate the areas for those who really want to practice in one area or the other.

User avatar
sundevil77
Posts: 391
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:34 pm

Re: The End All For Each State's Best Law Schools

Postby sundevil77 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:30 pm

Arizona

1. UofA
2. ASU

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: The End All For Each State's Best Law Schools

Postby im_blue » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:30 pm

rx3r wrote:Excluding Stanford, here is my impression of dominance of California schools in LA:

1. UCLA
2. USC
(those two seem pretty close)
3. Loyola

Also, Pepperdine > Southwestern


UCLA and USC are very close in LA, but USC gets crushed in SF.

User avatar
kswiss
Posts: 391
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:58 am

Re: The End All For Each State's Best Law Schools

Postby kswiss » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:31 pm

Dude, did you realize it was going to be this much work to keep up this list? Its only been like 15 minutes and you've made like 15 edits.

Scurredsitless1
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: The End All For Each State's Best Law Schools

Postby Scurredsitless1 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:32 pm

Pennsylvania -Temple/Pitt/Villanova/PSU??

User avatar
rx3r
Posts: 226
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: The End All For Each State's Best Law Schools

Postby rx3r » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:32 pm

im_blue wrote:
rx3r wrote:Excluding Stanford, here is my impression of dominance of California schools in LA:

1. UCLA
2. USC
(those two seem pretty close)
3. Loyola

Also, Pepperdine > Southwestern


UCLA and USC are very close in LA, but USC gets crushed in SF.


Right, which is why it's valuable to separate the LA and SF markets. So, for instance, if you really want to practice in SF it would make more sense to go to Hastings vs. USC, perhaps, but if you want LA, then USC > Hastings.

User avatar
CaptainSnuggleBunny
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:06 pm

Re: The End All For Each State's Best Law Schools

Postby CaptainSnuggleBunny » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:33 pm

Rhode Island - Roger Williams is the only LS in the state.

User avatar
danquayle
Posts: 1108
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:12 am

Re: The End All For Each State's Best Law Schools

Postby danquayle » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:33 pm

rx3r wrote:
prospectiveprospect wrote:
rx3r wrote:I feel like you may need to geographically break down the state of California further. (Example: Loyola does very well in LA but I don't know how well they place in Norcal.)

I could do that how should i break it down?


You might start out with Los Angeles and San Francisco. If people are interested you could then expand to other legal markets.


You should do SoCal and NorCal. I don't see the point of breaking it down further, otherwise you're going to have to start breaking down every major population state...

User avatar
prospectiveprospect
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: The End All For Each State's Best Law Schools

Postby prospectiveprospect » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:34 pm

kswiss wrote:Dude, did you realize it was going to be this much work to keep up this list? Its only been like 15 minutes and you've made like 15 edits.

I have nothing but time :) im on spring break and have nothing going on

User avatar
CaptainSnuggleBunny
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:06 pm

Re: The End All For Each State's Best Law Schools

Postby CaptainSnuggleBunny » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:34 pm

Wisconsin: UW Madison followed by Marquette

jarofsoup
Posts: 1951
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: The End All For Each State's Best Law Schools

Postby jarofsoup » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:35 pm

Cali- UC Davis, Hastings, LA

User avatar
danquayle
Posts: 1108
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:12 am

Re: The End All For Each State's Best Law Schools

Postby danquayle » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:41 pm

prospectiveprospect wrote:
kswiss wrote:
prospectiveprospect wrote:
lawduder wrote:You know that there are schools outside the t14 that are going to do better in certain states than the "best school in the state."

yes i agree but in general T14 law schools could dominate most states if they need/want to.


I think what he was getting at is that some lower ranked schools might also dominate other states.

For ex. UW will beat both L&C and Oregon in Portland, BYU & Utah place better in ID than U Idaho and UNLV in NV, etc.

(I only really know one geographical area if you can tell from all of my school references.)

I could put UW in Oregon's list. so we can list how each states prospective jobs are divided.
EDIT: i added an amendment, so people are not confused. and schools from other states can be added. :)


I don't think you should do that, because there are certain schools that COULD do better in many states but simply don't send a lot of students there. For example, a degree from a Wash U or Vanderbilt type school would probably have more value than a North Dakota degree even in North Dakota, but its not exactly like either of those schools has a pipeline into those states. It should only be the in-state schools. Otherwise you'll have the same handful of schools for all the states with small populations.

User avatar
danquayle
Posts: 1108
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:12 am

Re: The End All For Each State's Best Law Schools

Postby danquayle » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:44 pm

In terms of a list:

Indiana:

Notre Dame
Indiana-Bloomington
Indiana-Indy
Valparaiso

Michigan:

Wayne State
Michigan State
Detroit Mercy
Cooley

Nebraska:

Nebraska
Creighton

I want someone to do Ohio, because thats going to be awful messy after Case Western.

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: The End All For Each State's Best Law Schools

Postby Unitas » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:48 pm

South Carolina:
1) University of South Carolina
2) Charleston School of Law

Only two law schools in SC...

ToTransferOrNot
Posts: 1928
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:45 am

Re: The End All For Each State's Best Law Schools

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:49 pm

Doing this thread is so irrelevant for DC, New York and Illinois...

User avatar
danquayle
Posts: 1108
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:12 am

Re: The End All For Each State's Best Law Schools

Postby danquayle » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:06 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:Doing this thread is so irrelevant for DC, New York and Illinois...


Yeah, most useful would be by market, but that'd change the entire idea behind the thread. By state is useful if you absolutely want to stay and work in the state you're already in.

User avatar
prospectiveprospect
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: The End All For Each State's Best Law Schools

Postby prospectiveprospect » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:12 pm

Anyone have any info on Alabama?

User avatar
GordonBombay
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:10 pm

Re: The End All For Each State's Best Law Schools

Postby GordonBombay » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:14 pm

This has been covered in a pretty PDF at the bottom of the article. Sure you can argue and things change but its a nice collection of data.

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... oginloop=o

User avatar
pjo
Posts: 610
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: The End All For Each State's Best Law Schools

Postby pjo » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:15 pm

Scurredsitless1 wrote:Pennsylvania -Temple/Pitt/Villanova/PSU??


I really think PA is a major crapshoot. I'lll throw in my 2cents tho. Also, I included schools from other states, sorry if that wasn't allowed lol.

Pennsylvania
1.Temple
2.Pitt/Villanova
3.PSU
4.Rutgers
5.Duquesne
--actually after thinking about this Temple/Pitt/Nova should all be 1 for PA

Virginia
1.William and Mary
2.Washington and Lee

Ohio
1.Notre Dame
2.OSU
3.Case

West Virginia
1.Pitt
2.WVU

D.C.
1.GW
2.BU
Last edited by pjo on Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest