The End All For Each State's Best Law Schools Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
prospectiveprospect

New

Re: The End All For Each State's Best Law Schools

Post by prospectiveprospect » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:17 pm

GordonBombay wrote:This has been covered in a pretty PDF at the bottom of the article. Sure you can argue and things change but its a nice collection of data.

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... oginloop=o
The link you posted was only viewable if logged in. any other link you could post, so i could add some schools to the list. :)

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:17 pm

Minnesota:

1. UMN
2. William Mitchell/St. Thomas
3. Hamline

I'd put WM and UST as a tie because WM still has a ridiculously large alumni base and places almost as good as UMN in the cities, which is shocking for a T4, but St. Thomas is quickly climbing up.

Rock Chalk

Silver

Post by Rock Chalk » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:22 pm

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Wed May 16, 2012 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:23 pm

Just because South Carolina and Charleston and the only two law schools in the does not make both good.

The only people who respect Charleston are its own students, and there aren't many of them because it's so new. If you're paying to go to Charleston, you are a fool, IMO, as nearly every lawyer in the state went to South Carolina.

In SC, University of South Carolina is the only decent option.

Burgstaller04

Silver

Post by Burgstaller04 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:25 pm

Texas

UT
SMU
Houston
Baylor

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

clairecate

New

Post by clairecate » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:28 pm

Burgstaller04 wrote:Texas

UT
SMU
Houston
Baylor
+1. And just for shits and giggles, you can throw Tech in at #5, but everyone from TX knows that's the order.

barracudasix

New

Post by barracudasix » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:35 pm

Scurredsitless1 wrote:Pennsylvania -Temple/Pitt/Villanova/PSU??
really? i mean, i haven't been home to PA in awhile but I 'feel like' Pitt/PSU dominate everything. their alumni networks are just so massive and they are also so fervidly devoted to their schools that they would offer the best job prospects.

Temple and PSU are both ranked 65, and Pitt's only a few rungs below that. Villanova is a few steps just above. I haven't worked in a law office in PA, though, so I'm no expert.

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:40 pm

barracudasix wrote:
really? i mean, i haven't been home to PA in awhile but I 'feel like' Pitt/PSU dominate everything. their alumni networks are just so massive and they are also so fervidly devoted to their schools that they would offer the best job prospects.

Temple and PSU are both ranked 65, and Pitt's only a few rungs below that. Villanova is a few steps just above. I haven't worked in a law office in PA, though, so I'm no expert.
Yea Pitt/PSU do dominate evrything...but thats just undergrad. When it comes to law schools...not so much. One of the reasons why PSU law doesn't get the same respect as PSU undergrad is because until last year PSU was officially known as Dickinson law. Last year they officially changed it to Pennsylvania State U, Dickinson School of Law, and finally put a campus at university park. This is most likely why PSU raised so significantly in the rankings last year (before last year they were consistently in the 90's, which is also working against their rep b/c many older attorneys still think of PSU in this light)

barracudasix

New

Post by barracudasix » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:42 pm

pjo wrote:
I really think PA is a major crapshoot. I'lll throw in my 2cents tho. Also, I included schools from other states, sorry if that wasn't allowed lol.

Pennsylvania
1.Temple
2.Pitt/Villanova
3.PSU
4.Rutgers
5.Duquesne
--actually after thinking about this Temple/Pitt/Nova should all be 1 for PA

Virginia
1.William and Mary
2.Washington and Lee

Ohio
1.Notre Dame
2.OSU
3.Case

West Virginia
1.Pitt
2.WVU

D.C.
1.GW
2.BU

ahh! didn't see this one. this is good, and i think that if we *can* throw in out-of-state schools, WVU and Notre Dame both do really well in Western PA in general. a law grad out of ND would def. do well, and one from WVU would at least have a decent alumni network.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Apple Tree

Bronze

Post by Apple Tree » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:43 pm

There's also Mississippi College in MS.

barracudasix

New

Post by barracudasix » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:44 pm

ahhh, i see, pjo. thanks for the info!

GordonBombay

Bronze

Post by GordonBombay » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:47 pm

prospectiveprospect wrote:
GordonBombay wrote:This has been covered in a pretty PDF at the bottom of the article. Sure you can argue and things change but its a nice collection of data.

The link you posted was only viewable if logged in. any other link you could post, so i could add some schools to the list. :)
Sorry thats the only way I know to get to it. I could email you the PDF if youd like. I find it very interesting and helpful. I originally got it from a TLS board

prospectiveprospect

New

Post by prospectiveprospect » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:49 pm

GordonBombay wrote:
prospectiveprospect wrote:

Sorry thats the only way I know to get to it. I could email you the PDF if youd like. I find it very interesting and helpful. I originally got it from a TLS board
I think I know what link your talking about I'm gonna go find it

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:50 pm

barracudasix wrote:ahh! didn't see this one. this is good, and i think that if we *can* throw in out-of-state schools, WVU and Notre Dame both do really well in Western PA in general. a law grad out of ND would def. do well, and one from WVU would at least have a decent alumni network.
wow now that I think about it you're def right. Come to think of it, if we start including schools from different states this is going to: 1.open up a can of worms 2.not be representative of how it is. why? just from what OP said above. I know for a fact an ND grad will beat out a grad from ANY of the PA schools...but the thing is, how often does this really happen (ND grads shooting for PA?) This works basically with all schools 15-25 IMHO. This should really be limited to schools in their respective states.

Scurredsitless1

Bronze

Post by Scurredsitless1 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:51 pm

Just to be clear, when i said "Pennsylvania -Temple/Pitt/Villanova/PSU??" I wasn't listing them in order, I intended them to be read as peer institutions.

I mean, I'm sure someone could make an argument why any one of those schools should be ranked first or last.

prospectiveprospect

New

Post by prospectiveprospect » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:52 pm

pjo wrote:
barracudasix wrote:ahh! didn't see this one. this is good, and i think that if we *can* throw in out-of-state schools, WVU and Notre Dame both do really well in Western PA in general. a law grad out of ND would def. do well, and one from WVU would at least have a decent alumni network.
wow now that I think about it you're def right. Come to think of it, if we start including schools from different states this is going to: 1.open up a can of worms 2.not be representative of how it is. why? just from what OP said above. I know for a fact an ND grad will beat out a grad from ANY of the PA schools...but the thing is, how often does this really happen (ND grads shooting for PA?) This works basically with all schools 15-25 IMHO. This should really be limited to schools in their respective states.
Yes I think I am going to change it back. It just makes it way too confusing

EDIT: I think DC might be the exception
Last edited by prospectiveprospect on Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vegas_Rebel

Bronze

Post by Vegas_Rebel » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:56 pm

Nevada = UNLV, without question! :P

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

GordonBombay

Bronze

Post by GordonBombay » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:58 pm

Regarding DC:

I saw someone had
1. GW
2. BU

Is that Boston? Its the first im hearing of them dominating the market, especially over Mason, American, W and M, W and L. I realize we're taking UVA and GULC out of the equation.

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:13 pm

GordonBombay wrote:Regarding DC:

I saw someone had
1. GW
2. BU

Is that Boston? Its the first im hearing of them dominating the market, especially over Mason, American, W and M, W and L. I realize we're taking UVA and GULC out of the equation.
Yea ur right. I'll give you W&M above BU, but I still will argue that BU has more tilt in DC above the rest of those you named

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:19 pm

New Jersey (by region):
North:
1) Rutgers-Newark
2) Seton Hall
3) Fordham/Cardozo/Brooklyn/St. John's (for NJ purposes, they're pretty much equal. Top grads at these schools are staying in NYC)

South:
1) Rutgers-Camden
2) Temple/'Nova

berkeleykel06

Bronze

Post by berkeleykel06 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:21 pm

Charleston School of Law should not be on this list. It may be one of the only law schools in SC, but it is also a joke. University of South Carolina should be the sole listing for SC.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Thomas Jefferson

Bronze

Post by Thomas Jefferson » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:32 pm

VA: W&L > W&M, IMO, but this is debatable so perhaps they should just be tied
NY: 1. Fordham 2. (don't know enough about the rest)

prospectiveprospect

New

Post by prospectiveprospect » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:19 am

berkeleykel06 wrote:Charleston School of Law should not be on this list. It may be one of the only law schools in SC, but it is also a joke. University of South Carolina should be the sole listing for SC.
noted lol

Mattalones

Silver

Post by Mattalones » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:22 am

jks289 wrote:Just to rep my own options:

Missouri- WUSTL
MA - BU/BC
+1

anthonyc350

Bronze

Post by anthonyc350 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:26 am

I think this is pretty useless...

for example: Pennsylvania

Duquense probably does better in Pitt than nova, temple or PSU
Drexel even though new, as well as rutgers camden do way better than psu, duquense, pitt.
Guessing PSU outplaces the other in harrisburg :? but Pennsylvania isn't even California or Texas and this doesn't quite work.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”