Count myself lucky or reapply?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which would be most reasonable?

Duke ($$)
68%
Cornell
1%
UPenn
26%
Reapply
5%

Total votes: 94

ljmrc3344

Count myself lucky or reapply?

Postby ljmrc3344 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:10 pm

So despite my not-unrealistic expectations for this cycle given my stats, my results have been lackluster to say the least. After applying to almost all of the T14, I've only gotten acceptances so far from Duke ($60000), Cornell, and UPenn. No word on scholarships from the other two yet. I got straight dings from Harvard, Stanford, and Berkeley (don't really care about that one), and with one on the way from Yale, I'm sure. Embarrassingly I was also waitlisted at UVA (also don't really care) and Michigan. I originally was chalking up the waitlists to YP, but a recent waitlist from UChicago has really shaken me, since I did a lot to try and secure an acceptance with them.

I was really gunning for UChicago, for philosophical reasons one could say, and Columbia, since the opportunities there pretty much perfectly align with my career goals (plus, the environment, retribution for dissatisfaction with my undergrad, quality of classmates, etc). For both of these schools I did as much as I possibly could to show them why I'm a good fit for them, was as proactive as possible (including visits and informal meetings with faculty and staff), submitted early, and by all third-party accounts had a good application package. Needless to say getting locked out of these two would be pretty devastating to my cycle overall.

I'm currently held at Columbia and submitted a LOCI detailing my commitment to them and how I plan to use them specifically to accomplish what I wish to, as well as a new, extremely supportive, targeted LOR. It was not from an alumnus, but hopefully the fact that I sacrificed a recommender solely for them counts for something. Despite that, based on LSN it doesn't look like many people who were held get an acceptance, so it seems to me like a pretty bad spot to be in. Likewise, I've yet to hear from NYU, which probably spells trouble, despite a recent unsolicited LOCI. Of course, this is all moot if I get into one of the schools that I'm still waiting on, but I think I'm being realistic when I say it looks grim.

So, here's the question: do I suck it up and go to UPenn (which would likely give me the most post-graduate opportunities out of the three, since money is not an issue)? Or do I bite the bullet and hope to get off the waitlists and reapply next cycle?

Honestly, as good schools as Duke, Cornell and UPenn are, I get the feeling that I will have the nagging feeling that I could do better. Basically I don't want to repeat the same mistake that I did for undergrad, where I mostly undershot my capabilities (as in, I did little research to where I could get in) and settled for school that I often feel isn't good enough. Basically, I'm not sure I'd be happy/proud anywhere but in the T6. That would seem to answer my question, but really it's not so simple with parental pressures and the undesirability to have a gap year with no current plans.

I don't know if anyone has any experience with this sort of thing, but advice or opinions on the matter would help. I'm considering retaking the LSAT in June, given that I was testing in the high 170's, but I already have a 99% score, so perhaps that would be risky. I'm not sure what I can do to improve my chances, which I thought were solid. My school is a tier-1 public, but not particularly prestigious or rigorous. I have multiple majors in both the hard sciences and liberal arts. My softs are mediocre I think (multilingual, study/work/research abroad, a few clubs and sport, etc.) Without having any impressive job or activity lined-up, and my GPA about to be set in stone, I'm not sure how much better of an applicant I can make myself by September.

Any thoughts?

P.S. I apologize for the length and possible air of entitlement (I know a lot of people would kill for a T10, but I just have high standards for myself).

Nom Sawyer

Re: Count myself lucky or reapply?

Postby Nom Sawyer » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:22 pm

Would need your exact numbers to know for sure what your situation is and how likely Chicago or CLS is. On the whole, though, are you targeting another LOCI for Chicago? The admit range for UChicago is slightly more relaxed for Chicago compared to CLS... so you might still have a good chance off the waitlist.. especially as they seem to accept more off of it than Columbia

thedogship

Postby thedogship » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:27 pm

useless without specific numbers. 99% percentile includes a wide range of LSAT scores.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:29 pm

ljmrc3344 wrote:I'm not sure how much better of an applicant I can make myself by September.

Without seeing your numbers, it's hard to tell, but unless something very substantive is going to change come September (higher LSAT, applying much earlier, getting an incredibly prestigious job, etc.), them just go with what you got.

ljmrc3344

Postby ljmrc3344 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:36 pm

Sorry, I thought I made the general ballpark of my numbers relatively clear without being too specific. But: Columbia medians (172, 3.7x). Again, I did under perform on the LSAT based on practice tests with rigorous conditions, but I realize that that is not at all uncommon.

Edit: And I may be able to get a targeted LOCI for Chicago, but since I'm already waitlisted I figured I could give it a bit more time in order to get in a little better with the professors I'd consider asking.

Edit: Oh, and of course I'd probably ED to Columbia next cycle, barring a retake that gives me a more legitimate shot at HYS.

hiro86

Postby hiro86 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:16 pm

Unless you find some worthwhile to do for a gap year I would say go now. You have some pretty good options and honestly I don't think you did all that poorly based on your numbers. Penn or Duke with money are both solid options.

ljmrc3344

Postby ljmrc3344 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:20 pm

I just realized that I didn't really explain that other than really wanting to go to CCN+, I'm a little surprised that I'm having so much trouble getting into at least one of them. I'm wondering if I'm just the unfortunate victim of the increase in applicants or if based on the above information, there is something lacking in MY application. Obviously, without reading it none of you can say for sure. But it does seem weird that they dislike me this much.

Edit: I'm whining. Sorry, I'm just a bit depressed.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:31 pm

ITT: WTF.

ljmrc3344

Postby ljmrc3344 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:40 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:ITT: WTF.

I don't know if the bold really describes it. It's more of an under the breath "Goddamnit..." But the sentiment is correct. Eloquently put.

erniesto

Postby erniesto » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:41 pm

+1

This topic is full of WTF

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:42 pm

EDITED: You'll probably get into NYU soon with your numbers. CC aren't guaranteed because they accept about 80% with your numbers, which means there's always a chance of getting shut out.
Last edited by im_blue on Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ljmrc3344

Postby ljmrc3344 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:44 pm

im_blue wrote:Your mistake was not applying to NYU, which is a 95%+ sure thing with your numbers. CC aren't guaranteed because they accept about 80% with your numbers, which means there's always a chance of getting shut out.

I did apply to NYU. Waiting since November. Submitted a LOCI a few weeks back. --> Expecting WL or a Ding.

tallboone

Postby tallboone » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:44 pm

I'm going to have to say suck it up and be pleased with your options. This self-entitled stuff gets a tad old. This and the YP moaning.

You have some great options that a lot of students would give an appendage to have.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:45 pm

PM me if you want to feel sorry for someone... :wink:

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:45 pm

ljmrc3344 wrote:

I don't know if the bold really describes it. It's more of an under the breath "Goddamnit..." But the sentiment is correct. Eloquently put.

Er, just so you know, I was more mocking you than attempting to display sympathy. "I only managed to get Duke with a partial scholarship" is a little hard to take without laughing.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:46 pm

ljmrc3344 wrote:
im_blue wrote:Your mistake was not applying to NYU, which is a 95%+ sure thing with your numbers. CC aren't guaranteed because they accept about 80% with your numbers, which means there's always a chance of getting shut out.

I did apply to NYU. Waiting since November. Submitted a LOCI a few weeks back. --> Expecting WL or a Ding.

Sorry, I missed that amid the rambling. NYU has accepted everyone with your numbers so far, so don't lose hope!
http://nyu.lawschoolnumbers.com/applica ... ,8&type=jd

viking138

Postby viking138 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:46 pm

When did you apply? Late January or earlier in the fall?

Z3RO

Postby Z3RO » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:48 pm

I'm in almost the exact same spot as you, OP. I did apply late November, but I'm the same at all schools except that I didn't apply to Duke/Cornell, got rejected from Mich, and am still waiting to hear from Penn (in my mind, that's "exactly the same").

Somehow, I'm still holding out hope that I'll get off the Chi/Columbia wait/hold, but NYU sending me that purple rain would make things so much nicer.

With what everybody says about admissions being so numbers driven, I really thought my LSAT would be a ticket to the T6.

ljmrc3344

Postby ljmrc3344 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:50 pm

tallboone wrote:I'm going to have to say suck it up and be pleased with your options. This self-entitled stuff gets a tad old. This and the YP moaning.

You have some great options that a lot of students would give an appendage to have.

Not sure if you meant to sound disrespectful, but I did say in my original post that I was not trying to sound entitled and that I am NOT blaming this on YP. I don't think that I am entitled to CCN, but I think I would make a good student and be happy there.

I understand that I am in a good position comparatively speaking. I cannot stress that enough. But I just want to achieve the very best that I am capable. Therein lies my conflict, do I count my blessings, or regroup and try for better?

ljmrc3344

Postby ljmrc3344 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:52 pm

viking138 wrote:When did you apply? Late January or earlier in the fall?

Before Thanksgiving. I went to visit Chicago and Columbia to decide if I wanted to ED to one of them but decided not to because I couldn't make up my mind in time which one I liked better.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:53 pm

ljmrc3344 wrote:

Before Thanksgiving. I went to visit Chicago and Columbia to decide if I wanted to ED to one of them but decided not to because I couldn't make up my mind in time which one I liked better.

That was your mistake right there. I would have picked one to ED since HYS aren't happening. But like I said, you should get into NYU.

neskerdoo

Postby neskerdoo » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:55 pm

this thread is absurdly lame

DukeHopeful

Postby DukeHopeful » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:55 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
ljmrc3344 wrote:

Er, just so you know, I was more mocking you than attempting to display sympathy. "I only managed to get Duke with a partial scholarship" is a little hard to take without laughing.

This sounds about right. Hasn't it been said that literally every T-14 could fill their entire classes with a 170+ this year? Considering there are 8 or 9 schools in the T-14 after CC (depending on where you place N relative to C), I would think your results so far are pretty good. I'm not sure that a 172 this year gets Columbia without something else to stand out. NYU maybe, probably a sure thing if you'd applied ED.

ljmrc3344

Postby ljmrc3344 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:56 pm

im_blue wrote:
ljmrc3344 wrote:

That was your mistake right there. I would have picked one to ED since HYS aren't happening. But like I said, you should get into NYU.

Tell me about it. I've been regretting it since January. I told Columbia in my LOCI that I would absolutely attend if I got it in.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:57 pm

Sigh, I guess I'll try to give you a serious response. Your resume is apparently underwhelming as far as softs go--that seems to be the best way to explain not getting in to CCN if you're at Columbia's median. If you wait, you should obviously retake the LSAT, but improving on a 172 is going to be more a matter of luck than anything else (getting a 172 in the first instance involves a significant amount of luck anyway, thus the jeering in re: entitlement.)

If you can get real substantive experience in the year off, I'd wait, if you really can't stand the idea of going to Duke with a decent scholarship (of the choices you have listed, by the way, I personally think Duke is the one to take--I question whether Penn is $60k better than Duke, particularly when you consider that living at Duke would be much more pleasurable). If you can't get substantive experience though, you should probably just "cut your losses".. though there would be something to be said for EDing at Chicago. If you wait the wait list out, get dinged, then turn around and ED... eh, you might break the barrier.

I still think you're hopelessly entitled, though ;)

Return to “Choosing a Law School”