NYU vs UToronto vs McGill

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Shortlisted schools

NYU at sticker price
No votes
UToronto at Canadian price (20k/year)
19%
McGill at Quebec price (3.5k/year)
81%

Total votes: 16

letsgojayhawks

NYU vs UToronto vs McGill

Postby letsgojayhawks » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:54 pm

I know these are pretty common nowadays, but I need to decide by April 1st, so here goes. Please vote!

-I am open to practicing in both the US and Canada, however I would like to practice internationally at some point
-I am interested in environmental law, and plan to work in PI after graduating
-As a Canadian citizen and Quebec resident, I would have significantly reduced tuition costs at UToronto and McGill
-Debt matters to me, as I do not want my job choices to be so constrained by financial needs
-I speak French and Spanish (and a bit of Russian), so the French requirement at McGill is more of an asset than anything else

Essentially, I'm pretty sure that McGill is my first choice and best option. I withdrew from Georgetown and from the Michigan waitlist immediately after being accepted at McGill.

Thanks for any input!

Xiaolong

Re: NYU vs UToronto vs McGill

Postby Xiaolong » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:58 pm

McGill. No debt, plus you'll get a degree from the best school in Canada. For intl work, NYU may have a slight edge but as an intl applicant myself I can tell you that no one has heard about NYU over here.

Edit: I shouldn't say no one has heard about NYU, but it definitely does not have the same name recognition as HYS or Columbia.
Last edited by Xiaolong on Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iShotFirst

Postby iShotFirst » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:59 pm

You have a great opportunity to go to one of the best law schools in Canada for pennies. I dont see why you would go to a very expensive American school especially given that you want to do PI. If you wanted New York Biglaw I'm sure it would be better to go to NYU, but with those career goals, why would you take on the massive debt from the much higher tuition and cost of living?

tallboone

Postby tallboone » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:02 pm

very easy decision. go to mcgill for next to nothing. most american law students wish they had access to such a great legal education at such an extremely low cost.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”