(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Alligator Pear

Postby Alligator Pear » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:18 pm

Last edited by Alligator Pear on Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.

insidethetwenty

Re: Cornell, Vanderbilt, or Illinois for SW/NW?

Postby insidethetwenty » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:55 am

It's gotta be Cornell or Vandy for your geographic preferences. Illinois is going to be pretty limited to the midwest.

It's pretty clear over the past 10-15 years that Vandy students aren't "stuck" in the Southeast, even though many students go to Vandy with the intention of working in the Southeast.

Cornell is probably slightly better, but if you have to pay 60k more for a Cornell degree, I'd probably go with Vandy. Unless, of course, you really like Ithaca that much better.

TTH

Postby TTH » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:47 pm

Of the group, I think Vandy's going to give you the best shot of going west.

Did you apply to UCLA, USC, Washington?

Postby 09042014 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:49 pm

How come you didn't apply to University of Washington?

SWEDE LAW

Postby SWEDE LAW » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:54 pm

I voted Vandy. They can definitely get you into the SW. NW may be more of a struggle but doable with some leg work. Cornell is not worth the extra $ here + vandy has better placement ability in the SW.

Alligator Pear

Postby Alligator Pear » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:03 pm

Last edited by Alligator Pear on Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

jcl2

Postby jcl2 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:22 pm

Alligator Pear wrote:
TipTravHoot wrote:Of the group, I think Vandy's going to give you the best shot of going west.

Did you apply to UCLA, USC, Washington?

I didn't apply to any of those. One of the few times I went to L.A. there was a minor earthquake. I'm probably overreacting but I have no desire to go back. Also, as I recall the UCLA application (which I started filling out since I received a fee waiver) seemed overly intrusive though I no longer remember why. As for Washington I wish now that I had applied but I didn't because I thought the degree wouldn't travel well to NM or CO and I'd heard they weren't known for giving merit awards. In retrospect it would have been a cheap option to apply. Thanks for your response.

A degree from UW probably would travel better to NM or CO than a degree from Vandy or UIUC and would be better in WA and OR than a Cornell degree. Cornell is probably your best bet at this point if working in the NW or SW is important to you. You will have a will have a lot of debt, but it does have somewhat of a national reputation so getting a job in the regions you want should be possible. Getting a job anywhere in the west would be pretty tough out of Vandy or Illinois IMO.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”