Vandy$$ v. WUSTL$$$ v. ND$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which is the better option for DC big law/mobility??

Vandy at close to 1/2 tuition in scholarship $$
69%
WUSTL at about 2/3 tuition in scholarship $$
25%
ND with some $$
6%

Total votes: 71

jockinjay-z

Vandy$$ v. WUSTL$$$ v. ND$

Postby jockinjay-z » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:12 pm

Vandy offered a little less that 1/2 tuition in scholly aid to attend whereas WUSTL offered a little more than 2/3 the cost to attend. I'd like to work in DC (either big firm or government) after graduation and possibly move back to the Midwest after a couple of years. I'm interested in international/business law and I know both schools have really good programs in both. I would also like to go to a school that has the best mobility after grad. The difference in scholly aid is about 10K per year however so after 3 or so years it'll add up to about 30-40k difference. Do you think choosing Vandy is that much worth it over Wustl?

Any suggestions on what school to choose?? I don't necessarily want to write off WUSTL b/c I know the school is improving every year however Vandy's NLJ big law placement stats are nearly unbeatable. Also ND has a very reputable alumni network that I think can pretty much get you anywhere? :-/
Last edited by jockinjay-z on Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jockinjay-z

Re: Vandy$$ v. WUSTL$$$ v. ND$

Postby jockinjay-z » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:37 pm

Also which school do you think is in best position to rebound after this economic cycle?

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:10 pm

jockinjay-z wrote:Vandy offered a little less that 1/2 tuition in scholly aid to attend whereas WUSTL offered a little more than 2/3 the cost to attend. I'd like to work in DC (either big firm or government) after graduation and possibly move back to the Midwest after a couple of years. I'm interested in international/business law and I know both schools have really good programs in both. I would also like to go to a school that has the best mobility after grad. The difference in scholly aid is about 10K per year however so after 3 or so years it'll add up to about 30-40k difference. Do you think choosing Vandy that that much worth it over Wustl?

Any suggestions on what school to choose?? I don't necessarily want to write off WUSTL b/c I know the school is improving every year however Vandy's NLJ big law placement stats are nearly unbeatable. Also ND has a very reputable alumni network that I think can pretty much get you anywhere? :-/

absolutely

jockinjay-z

Postby jockinjay-z » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:43 pm

Thanks. Btw does anyone think ND can ascend up the rankings similarly to how WUSTL did a couple of years ago now that they got that new dean??

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:48 pm

jockinjay-z wrote:Thanks. Btw does anyone think ND can ascend up the rankings similarly to how WUSTL did a couple of years ago now that they got that new dean??

Probably so now that they got rid of Charlie Weis. Maybe Brian Kelly can fix what Ty Willingham did to their ranking.

Bigred2008

Postby Bigred2008 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:12 pm

Do any of the scholarships have a gpa requirement, but for this I would say Vandy for sure.
Last edited by Bigred2008 on Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

jockinjay-z

Postby jockinjay-z » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:02 am

Bigred2008 wrote:Do any of the scholarships have a gpa requirement, but for this I would say Vandy for sure.

No not really thank God, just good academic standing!

Bigred2008

Postby Bigred2008 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:07 am

jockinjay-z wrote:
Bigred2008 wrote:Do any of the scholarships have a gpa requirement, but for this I would say Vandy for sure.

No not really thank God, just good academic standing!

Easy choice then Vandy FTW

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:13 am

Vandy is far and away worth the extra money. Vandy.

BigLawyer

Postby BigLawyer » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:34 pm

Vanderbilt if you want the south, ND if you want the midwest. If you don't care, go to Vandy. ND law is not nationally recognized in the way Vanderbilt is.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:36 pm

There is absolutely no way ND should be in the discussion here, under any circumstances. If you want any degree of openness with your job prospects, take Vanderbilt and don't look back.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:41 pm

BigLawyer wrote:Vanderbilt if you want the south, [strike]ND[/strike] WUSTL if you want the midwest. If you don't care, go to Vandy. ND law is not nationally recognized in the way Vanderbilt is.

FTFY.

Still, you want the school with the best national mobility, which is Vandy. Notre Dame should be out completely.

jockinjay-z

Postby jockinjay-z » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:29 pm

rad law wrote:
BigLawyer wrote:Vanderbilt if you want the south, [strike]ND[/strike] WUSTL if you want the midwest. If you don't care, go to Vandy. ND law is not nationally recognized in the way Vanderbilt is.

FTFY.

Still, you want the school with the best national mobility, which is Vandy. Notre Dame should be out completely.

Wow I'm a little surprised most of you all think ND should be out completely. I understand that Vandy has a better overall rep than ND, but I thought ND was pretty much the better school hands down over WUSTL for national mobility, especially in the midwest?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:34 pm

jockinjay-z wrote:
rad law wrote:

FTFY.

Wow I'm a little surprised most of you all think ND should be out completely. I understand that Vandy has a better overall rep than ND, but I thought ND was pretty much the better school hands down over WUSTL for national mobility, especially in the midwest?

Because WUSTL/Vandy are overall better than ND and offering more $. ND should not even be in this discussion unless it was ND$$$.

jockinjay-z

Postby jockinjay-z » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:08 pm

I know that this is a long shot, but I was also wondering should I also consider Washington & Lee and Emory as well seeing that I'm primarily aiming for the D.C. market and ATL/STL as possible secondary ones? W&L gave me about 45K so it would be roughly the same cost as the others I presume. I was also a little surprised by the Emory acceptance but I'm expecting little in nothing in scholarships however. :-/

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:25 pm

jockinjay-z wrote:I know that this is a long shot, but I was also wondering should I also consider Washington & Lee and Emory as well seeing that I'm primarily aiming for the D.C. market and ATL/STL as possible secondary ones? W&L gave me about 45K so it would be roughly the same cost as the others I presume. I was also a little surprised by the Emory acceptance but I'm expecting little in nothing in scholarships however. :-/

IDK about DC, but Vandy is = or > than Emory in ATL.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”