Need Help Deciding On A Law School Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dsc5050

New

Need Help Deciding On A Law School

Post by dsc5050 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:14 pm

OK I know most of you are going to tell me to retake the LSAT as I am entering a market which is flooded and I am a LSAT score away from being accepted to fordham, cardoza and brooklyn however, I am not worried about making 160,000 coming out of college and am satisfied making around 70K.

I am currently graduating from Penn State with a Mechanical Engineering degree with a 3.7 GPA. I scored a 154 on my LSAT :(

I have applied to a bunch of schools have not heard from some have been accepted to others. I am trying to get opinions from those who have gone to the schools I have applied.

ACCEPTED
St. John's
Hofstra
NYLS + 15K
ALBANY

HAVENT HEARD BACK FROM YET
RUTGERS- NEWARK
UCONN
BUFFALO
BROOKLYN
FRANKLIN PIERCE

WAITLISTED
FORDHAM

I am from New York and would like to remain in New York. Furthermore, I have had a internship with a big law firm Davidoff Malito and Hutcher in the city and plan on working with them again this summer.

My question is what school do you guys feel would be best for my goal of being a intellectual property lawyer and earning around 70K coming out. I do not expect to be accepted to Fordham or Brooklyn but you never know. So I am thinking St. John's is the way to go since I want to stay in New York

dsc5050

New

Re: Need Help Deciding On A Law School

Post by dsc5050 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:35 pm

wow no one has a opinion I am surprised the NYLS haters have not commented.

thedogship

Bronze

Post by thedogship » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:45 pm

DELETED

Geesh106

New

Post by Geesh106 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:53 pm

I would think you still have a very strong choice of being accepted to Rutgers Newark. If accepted there, that's probably a better option (cost and education-wise) than St. John's, I would think.

dsc5050

New

Post by dsc5050 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:32 pm

Geesh106 wrote:I would think you still have a very strong choice of being accepted to Rutgers Newark. If accepted there, that's probably a better option (cost and education-wise) than St. John's, I would think.

Thank You.... still looking for more opinions to form a more viable solution

Thanks for suggesting a retake but I really do not want to take a year off

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:41 pm

dsc5050 wrote:
Geesh106 wrote:I would think you still have a very strong choice of being accepted to Rutgers Newark. If accepted there, that's probably a better option (cost and education-wise) than St. John's, I would think.

Thank You.... still looking for more opinions to form a more viable solution

Thanks for suggesting a retake but I really do not want to take a year off
you would rather spend three years studying at a school that will cause you to be in debt for 20 years with limited job prospects... cause that sounds btr than working for a year while and getting an improved LSAT w/ more studying.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:59 pm

thedogship wrote:Don't waste a 3.7 engineering GPA.

I know you don't want to hear it, but

DELETED
I enjoyed this immensely, and I agree with the sentiment. Rutgers-Newark is the lowest ranked school you should attend in the NYC market. Retake and go to Fordham or T14.

nealric

Post by nealric » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:04 pm

and am satisfied making around 70K.
Will you be satisfied with making 20k after your student loan payments? Because that's the most likely outcome with those schools. Starting salaries at small firms are in the realm of 40k, and you are going to need to devote 20k/yr to paying off student loans.

At least in the short term, any of the schools is likely a downgrade from engineering from an economic standpoint.

reverendt

Bronze

Post by reverendt » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:11 pm

You probably don't need anybody else telling you to retake, but so what.
Retake.
Get a 160 and your options will change drastically. Schools like Rutgers may offer you $$.

HOWEVER, if you really won't do that....
I'm thinking Hofstra is your best bet from the school you've been accepted to, followed by Albany.
Don't go to Franklin Pierce if you don't want to work in New Hampshire.
If you don't get into Fordham, Brooklyn and Rutgers are your best bets if you get accepted.
They're good schools, but the NYC market is tough...

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:14 pm

Take a look at LSN -- 154's aren't getting into Rutgers unless URM... look at past cycles; it WL at best. OP, you need to re-take or just pick which of the other schools gave you the most $.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”