American or W&L?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which law school?

American WCL
31%
Washington & Lee
69%

Total votes: 45

crw09

American or W&L?

Postby crw09 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:38 pm

I would be paying only cost of living at either--I plan to go into environmental law, so avoiding debt as much as possible is a huge consideration for me. Policy work is a potential career interest, which makes DC an attractive location, but I'd otherwise prefer to live in a small town. W&L is ranked higher, but doesn't have a lot of public interest or environmental emphasis. Thoughts?

Jules Winnfield

Re: American or W&L?

Postby Jules Winnfield » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:58 pm

crw09 wrote:I would be paying only cost of living at either--I plan to go into environmental law, so avoiding debt as much as possible is a huge consideration for me. Policy work is a potential career interest, which makes DC an attractive location, but I'd otherwise prefer to live in a small town. W&L is ranked higher, but doesn't have a lot of public interest or environmental emphasis. Thoughts?

American is the better option for PI/environmental interests out of the two. And it has great access into the DC market.

crw09

Postby crw09 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:47 pm

Do better PI/environmental programs make up for lower ranking/larger class size? Plus the fact that I'd have more debt coming from American since rent will probably be at least twice as much in DC as in Lexington?

What are job prospects likely to be like from either school? I imagine American would have more access to govt/policy/non-profits both because of its location and the fact that they place more emphasis on those things. But the new 3L program at W&L could also open some doors, and partially make up for the relative lack of PI focus by adding some flexibility.

Jules Winnfield

Postby Jules Winnfield » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:49 pm

crw09 wrote:Do better PI/environmental programs make up for lower ranking/larger class size? Plus the fact that I'd have more debt coming from American since rent will probably be at least twice as much in DC as in Lexington?

What are job prospects likely to be like from either school? I imagine American would have more access to govt/policy/non-profits both because of its location and the fact that they place more emphasis on those things. But the new 3L program at W&L could also open some doors, and partially make up for the relative lack of PI focus by adding some flexibility.

To be honest, it's a toss-up between the two. But I'd go with the school that is internationally known for gov/PI/int. law (American); its clinics are ranked no.2 in the country. But I can see debt being a factor.

No wrong choice here.

GordonBombay

Postby GordonBombay » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:50 pm

Im in the same boat. I havent gotten into American yet, though im confident. Im much less optimistic about GW which is where I really want to be.

I got money from w and L and wouldnt expect any if I got into GW, and Ive heard American is pretty stingy with merit aid

Also worth notice, Ive been living and working in NY and Im targeting DC after grad. Ive seen Lexington, what there is to see

Jules Winnfield

Postby Jules Winnfield » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:27 pm

GordonBombay wrote:Im in the same boat. I havent gotten into American yet, though im confident. Im much less optimistic about GW which is where I really want to be.

I got money from w and L and wouldnt expect any if I got into GW, and Ive heard American is pretty stingy with merit aid

Also worth notice, Ive been living and working in NY and Im targeting DC after grad. Ive seen Lexington, what there is to see

How is Lexington, coach?

crw09

Postby crw09 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:18 pm

To update with more detail, since I'm still undecided:

I've visited both schools now, and generally like W&L better -- I like the location of on campus but set apart, I liked the friendlier feel and smaller size. But I'm having trouble imagining exactly what I'd be doing during summers or after law school from W&L, whereas American seems to work hard to help students (particularly with the scholarship I received) make connections for public interest/govt work.

So basically, is it better to choose the school I'd enjoy more for 3 years, or the one that will be more helpful in getting me the kinds of jobs I want after graduation? It will be pretty hard for me to turn down either scholarship, because I think I'd like both schools and would get a job I'd be happy with from either. They just have slight advantages that seem to cancel each other out, and I'm indecisive.

GradPath2011

Postby GradPath2011 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:20 pm

same shit.

HyeMart

Postby HyeMart » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:35 pm

be nice, after all you were begging other people to not speak like a 'meanie' as well :roll:

Langfall

Postby Langfall » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:29 pm

I was pondering the same issue although Im WL at W&L. None the less going there would undoubtedly be less of a financial strain than attending AU . But I think what your decision may boil down to is which takes precedence: the next three years or the years after LS.
Both schools are very good but chances are that AU may provide you with more opportunities to dabble in your desired fields while in school than W&L would. Furthermore its possible you may have greater opportunities to do some work in Environmental Law over the summers and during your 2/3L years if you resided in DC than if in VA.
I think if your really gunho about working in this field and want to look at where you would have the most opportunities in general (based both on the school itself and geography) then AU would perhaps be a better choice. If on the other hand your primary concern is regarding the environment that you'll be sweating out the next 3 years in (which is also pretty important), it seems like you would prefer W&L. Also if you honestly feel that you would be comfortable and content with the amount of hands on resources you will gain in this environment then W&L would be an optimum choice. As long as you do well in either of these schools you'll easily land a job. Both schools have pretty high percentages for employment within 9 months of graduating.
Hope this helped at least a lil eh! :)

Return to “Choosing a Law School”