DePaul 15K/yr VS Loyola Chicago 10K/year Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
nitr0x99

Bronze

DePaul 15K/yr VS Loyola Chicago 10K/year

Post by nitr0x99 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:17 pm

I thought I was set on DePaul because Loyola only offered me 5K/yr but Loyola just sent me another 5K/yr in need based grants for a total of 10K/yr. Heres the breakdown

DePaul - 15K/yr with 3.2 GPA (Top 35%) <---people here have told me that this is a trap

Loyola - 10K/yr with 3.0 GPA (Top 60%) <--Dean told me that 90% of those awarded the scholarship keep it

Man I thought my decision was set, but this complicates things (in a good way I guess)

JCougar

Gold

Re: DePaul 15K/yr VS Loyola Chicago 10K/year

Post by JCougar » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:25 pm

I think Loyola's prospects are better. I'd definitely go with them.

I'm biased though. The only person I know that went to DePaul failed the bar exam and is now unemployed almost two years later. She's taking the bar in another state now...who knows if she'll pass. Still no job.

nitr0x99

Bronze

Post by nitr0x99 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:35 pm

JCougar wrote:I think Loyola's prospects are better. I'd definitely go with them.

I'm biased though. The only person I know that went to DePaul failed the bar exam and is now unemployed almost two years later. She's taking the bar in another state now...who knows if she'll pass. Still no job.
Do you know what percentage of her class she was in?

charlesjd

Bronze

Post by charlesjd » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:37 pm

JCougar wrote:I think Loyola's prospects are better. I'd definitely go with them.

Honestly, I would chose DePaul over Loyola. I have lived in Chicago and have heard numerous times from partners (I personally know some) in BigLaw like Skadden, Jenner, and Winston that DePaul has a better reputation. Also, DePaul is climbing rankings and Loyola is falling. Just some things to take into consideration. Despite the recent release of the "Go to Law Schools," I would still chose DePaul. I would rather have connections, which DePaul has. I know everyone on TTTTTLS would automatically say Loyola just because of the NLJ rankings, but you have to look past statistics. Just don't chose Kent because unless you have an engineering undergrad degree, you will be stuck in TTTTTToilet law as a result of them having a loose connection with undergrad. Why? I don't know. I personally know a general counsel who had an engineering degree and kent JD and he is doing really well and his law school was paid for by the company (EXTREMELY WELL, I'm jealous).

Also DePaul and business go hand in hand. If you want to work gc in the future, go to DePaul. If you think you can pull off top 10% of your class at Loyola and want to be a slave/ sell your soul to corporate law/ pray that there are still openings after higher ranked schools are done at Chicago, then go to Loyola.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:52 pm

charlesjd wrote:Also DePaul and business go hand in hand.
I went to ASD and did not get that vibe AT ALL. It seemed like a very decidedly NOT business-focused school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:20 pm

charlesjd wrote:

Honestly, I would chose DePaul over Loyola. I have lived in Chicago and have heard numerous times from partners (I personally know some) in BigLaw like Skadden, Jenner, and Winston that DePaul has a better reputation. Also, DePaul is climbing rankings and Loyola is falling. Just some things to take into consideration. Despite the recent release of the "Go to Law Schools," I would still chose DePaul. I would rather have connections, which DePaul has. I know everyone on TTTTTLS would automatically say Loyola just because of the NLJ rankings, but you have to look past statistics. Just don't chose Kent because unless you have an engineering undergrad degree, you will be stuck in TTTTTToilet law as a result of them having a loose connection with undergrad. Why? I don't know. I personally know a general counsel who had an engineering degree and kent JD and he is doing really well and his law school was paid for by the company (EXTREMELY WELL, I'm jealous).

Also DePaul and business go hand in hand. If you want to work gc in the future, go to DePaul. If you think you can pull off top 10% of your class at Loyola and want to be a slave/ sell your soul to corporate law/ pray that there are still openings after higher ranked schools are done at Chicago, then go to Loyola.
TINTCR. DePaul was a TTT just a couple of years ago, while Loyola and Kent have always been Tier 2. And it's hard to beat the Loyola alumni base in Chicago, if you're going to argue from that angle.

Loyola is the clear choice, especially with the stringent requirements on DePaul's scholarship.

nitr0x99

Bronze

Post by nitr0x99 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:25 pm

I appreciate the responses. Ever since I thought of law school during undergrad I have been hearing so many sides of the DePaul vs Loyola coin. It makes it difficult to figure things out. Would you guys change your responses if the scholarship requirements were the same? (but with 10k loyola, and 15 k depaul)

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:29 pm

nitr0x99 wrote:

Do you know what percentage of her class she was in?
I have no idea. I don't know if I want to ask, though.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:32 pm

nitr0x99 wrote:I appreciate the responses. Ever since I thought of law school during undergrad I have been hearing so many sides of the DePaul vs Loyola coin. It makes it difficult to figure things out. Would you guys change your responses if the scholarship requirements were the same? (but with 10k loyola, and 15 k depaul)
I honestly think there's not a ton of difference, but the Loyola scholarship is more guarunteed, so I would take that one. If you take the DePaul one and you end up in the 35-40th percent of your class, you're SOL for the next two years.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

charlesjd

Bronze

Post by charlesjd » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:41 pm

JCougar wrote:
nitr0x99 wrote:I appreciate the responses. Ever since I thought of law school during undergrad I have been hearing so many sides of the DePaul vs Loyola coin. It makes it difficult to figure things out. Would you guys change your responses if the scholarship requirements were the same? (but with 10k loyola, and 15 k depaul)
I honestly think there's not a ton of difference, but the Loyola scholarship is more guarunteed, so I would take that one. If you take the DePaul one and you end up in the 35-40th percent of your class, you're SOL for the next two years.
Ahhhh sorry, I didn't read the stipulations. I agree with you on this one. Since both are technically evenly ranked... and assuming Loyola's stats are true, what really makes the difference here is the stipulations. Since Loyola is more lenient, take it and run with it for what is it worth. However if you look back at DePaul's ranking trend is rising versus Loyola trend is dropping, even if it has been TT for a while. Good luck.

/thread.

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:47 pm

I got the same money at DePaul and only 6k per year at Loyola (no GPA req.). I'm in a good situation in that my CoL will be about 8-10k lower than what is projected.

Is $111,000 too much for Loyola? vs. 84k for DePaul (w/same GPA stipulation)?

alllucknotalent

New

Post by alllucknotalent » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:38 pm

to TS- I am very interested in depaul and sent in my ap recently

could you tell me what type of idea you have about how admissions are this year?

I have 164,2.8 and don't know whether to expect a coin flip or one way or the other..

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:54 pm

alllucknotalent wrote:to TS- I am very interested in depaul and sent in my ap recently

could you tell me what type of idea you have about how admissions are this year?

I have 164,2.8 and don't know whether to expect a coin flip or one way or the other..
Have you tried applying to Indiana-Bloomington? Your GPA will hurt you a lot of places, but Bloomington LOVES 164+ on the LSAT, pretty much regardless of GPA. If you haven't already, I highly suggest you look into them.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

alllucknotalent

New

Post by alllucknotalent » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:09 pm

JCougar wrote:
alllucknotalent wrote:to TS- I am very interested in depaul and sent in my ap recently

Have you tried applying to Indiana-Bloomington? Your GPA will hurt you a lot of places, but Bloomington LOVES 164+ on the LSAT, pretty much regardless of GPA. If you haven't already, I highly suggest you look into them.
I can't believe you said that... I am from illinois and IU/mizzou are the only out of state schools I applied to.. IU sent me an email monday saying it is going to be 6-8 weeks before I find out which kind of sucks because I have friends to live with at SIUC that have been waiting for me to decide.

kswiss

Bronze

Post by kswiss » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:14 pm

I was WL with a 170 2.5 FWIW

alllucknotalent

New

Post by alllucknotalent » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:17 pm

kswiss wrote:

yea thats why i'm worried.. i know depaul=/loyola but I have heard of 2 separate ppl applyin to loyola that were rejected with 162, 3.4 and 164, ?

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:17 pm

alllucknotalent wrote:
JCougar wrote:

I can't believe you said that... I am from illinois and IU/mizzou are the only out of state schools I applied to.. IU sent me an email monday saying it is going to be 6-8 weeks before I find out which kind of sucks because I have friends to live with at SIUC that have been waiting for me to decide.
FWIW, unless you have a criminal past or totally blew off your personal statement, I think you're in for sure at both DePaul and IU. You'll probably get a scholarship offer from IU as well. The protect their 164 median like bees protect the hive.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:19 pm

alllucknotalent wrote:
kswiss wrote:

yea thats why i'm worried.. i know depaul=/loyola but I have heard of 2 separate ppl applyin to loyola that were rejected with 162, 3.4 and 164, ?
Loyola's simply more picky about GPA. I think you're safe at DePaul. The above poster was obviously YPed. DePaul routinely accepts people with a 2.5 and a 164.

kswiss

Bronze

Post by kswiss » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:22 pm

Jcougar your avatar makes me laugh for some reason.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:23 pm

kswiss wrote:Jcougar your avatar makes me laugh for some reason.
It's great; I didn't make it though.

It was someone from back in the September LSAT score waiting thread. I'll have to look up who it was...

alllucknotalent

New

Post by alllucknotalent » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:27 pm

you seriously just lifted about 1000 lbs off my shoulders... I have been freaking out way too much about getting accepted (even at SIUC, a tier 4)

my biggest problem is I had a bad downward trend on grades because of work and family issues but I think between my PS and character fitness that it should explain my abilities

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:31 pm

alllucknotalent wrote:you seriously just lifted about 1000 lbs off my shoulders... I have been freaking out way too much about getting accepted (even at SIUC, a tier 4)

my biggest problem is I had a bad downward trend on grades because of work and family issues but I think between my PS and character fitness that it should explain my abilities
Just use the website lawschoolnumbers.com and look at the admissions graphs. That site is a godsend. Nothing's ever guarunteed, but it's highly unlikely that someone with your numbers would get rejected from one -- much less both -- of those schools. If you applied late, though, you might get waitlisted. Be prepared to express interest with a LOCI and ride it out.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:36 pm

Also, how bad is the downward trend in grades, and how long have you been out of undergrad? Downward trend isn't good, but if you've put some time between right now and that downward trend, it probably won't matter too much.

jimicornerstone

New

Post by jimicornerstone » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:46 pm

I have 164/2.9 and got the same 15k - 3.2 conditional scholarship.

alllucknotalent

New

Post by alllucknotalent » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:05 pm

JCougar wrote:Also, how bad is the downward trend in grades, and how long have you been out of undergrad? Downward trend isn't good, but if you've put some time between right now and that downward trend, it probably won't matter too much.
downward trend was more of sporadic... averaged around 3.4 than had a semester where I was sick and thought I was taking "incompletes" but were transfered to F's and by the time I realized I was dealing with the problems that led me to be put on academic probation a second time. I have been very hit or miss on upper level classes with a decent amount of A's/B's in Poli Sci/Phil but I have enough F's to make it look pretty bad

I graduated in December 09' but took on a full time job in OCT 09'.. I used to be the top leasing agent for my company and they promoted me to property manager (my company has more than 2000 apts and I finished 1st in sales each of my first 2 years I worked as a leasing agent)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”