I swore I wouldn't do this, but: Help me chose, please.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What do you think?

University of Cincinnati(3k/yr)
8%
Penn State (10k/yr)
25%
University of Oregon(5k/yr)
61%
Villanova (No money yet, not looking likely)
6%

Total votes: 36

mattymatt

I swore I wouldn't do this, but: Help me chose, please.

Postby mattymatt » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:15 pm

So, those are the schools to which I've been accepted.

I don't really have a strong regional preference, though I was born and raised in the Northwest and really like it here. I am marginally interested in environmental law. I am most concerned with job prospects in the school's respective markets. I concerned with saturation in Pennsylvania (Penn State, 'Nova, Temple, Pitt).

Cost is also a huge factor for me. I'd be paying near instate at Oregon, but that $10k/yr from Penn State (which amounts essentially to a year of tuition near free) is looking good as well. Cost of living there would be significantly more than in Eugene.

A (relatively) small class size is desirable, but I'm used to the big educational institution feel, and I'd like to not have a super small class.

If anyone has specific experience with these schools, their job prospects, or the cities in which they are located, I'd love to hear about it.

So that's it. I appreciate your input (given that it's constructive).

sanpiero

Re: I swore I wouldn't do this, but: Help me chose, please.

Postby sanpiero » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:21 pm

Oregon. No question. You really like the northwest and, i assume, much of your family and friends are there. Your ability to get a job at any of these schools will come down to your grades and your ability to network (which includes your current network). Oregon gives you an advantage in the second respect. On top of that, you will pay in-state and you have a scholly. IMO, this is easy. Don't allow the grass is greener mentality to affect your decision. Unless of course you are thirsty for a new adventure, a new place, and different people. If that's the case, the entire analysis changes. OTOH, if you're happy in the PNW and don't feel a pressing need to experience another part of the country, go to Oregon.

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:24 pm

sanpiero wrote:Oregon. No question. You really like the northwest and, i assume, much of your family and friends are there. Your ability to get a job at any of these schools will come down to your grades and your ability to network (which includes your current network). Oregon gives you an advantage in the second respect. On top of that, you will pay in-state and you have a scholly. IMO, this is easy. Don't allow the grass is greener mentality to affect your decision. Unless of course you are thirsty for a new adventure, a new place, and different people. If that's the case, the entire analysis changes. OTOH, if you're happy in the PNW and don't feel a pressing need to experience another part of the country, go to Oregon.

Cincy, philly, and penn state are places hardly worth uprooting yourself from the Pacific NW.

Stay in Oregon, it is beautiful up there.

carlkenneth

Postby carlkenneth » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:28 pm

I think Penn State and Oregon are very similar but I voted for Oregon because from what I've heard from a few of my friends that graduated from there, its well regarded in the northwest. Your employment prospects would be better and you'll have exclusive access to decent local internships - the only real competition is Lewis and Clarke.

Of course you'll have to worry about UCLA, Berkeley, Stanford and U Wash graduates that decide to move to the state, but my sense is that they are all trying to live in CA or move across the country. At Penn, you'd have competition (both for internships and FT employment) from the schools you listed as well as Rutgers Camden, and the T14 grads that move to the area.

sanpiero

Postby sanpiero » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:28 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:
sanpiero wrote:Oregon. No question. You really like the northwest and, i assume, much of your family and friends are there. Your ability to get a job at any of these schools will come down to your grades and your ability to network (which includes your current network). Oregon gives you an advantage in the second respect. On top of that, you will pay in-state and you have a scholly. IMO, this is easy. Don't allow the grass is greener mentality to affect your decision. Unless of course you are thirsty for a new adventure, a new place, and different people. If that's the case, the entire analysis changes. OTOH, if you're happy in the PNW and don't feel a pressing need to experience another part of the country, go to Oregon.

Cincy, philly, and penn state are places hardly worth uprooting yourself from the Pacific NW.

Stay in Oregon, it is beautiful up there.

:lol: I agree wholeheartedly, though I have only anecdotal evidence of QOL in the PNW. But, from what I hear, it's a great place to live. IMO, the same isn't true of cincy, philly, pittsburgh, etc. Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so our opinions of these cities are of little use to OP.

ozarkhack

Postby ozarkhack » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:30 pm

I don't have any experience w/said schools (but I was accepted/withdrew from UO). But I voted and figured I'd explain my Oregon vote.

You like PNW. You like enviro law but want (obviously) a good all-around program. You like smallish student body. You like job prospects. You like cheap COL. You like cheap tuition.

Seems like you've already made up your mind (whether you admit to self or not). I think what you really need is validation.

Go UO.

Small student body. Top-10 Ranked LRW, enviro and dispute resolution programs (for what little that's worth). Cheap, pretty living. Good job prospects in Oregon (and maybe farnorth California?). Seems like a straightforward decision.

voice of reason

Postby voice of reason » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:30 pm

Agreed, Oregon. The other schools have no currency in the northwest. Even though you said you have no strong regional preference, I can't see transplanting yourself to get an expensive degree that will confer its best job prospects someplace far from home where you have no ties.

mattymatt

Postby mattymatt » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:37 pm

ozarkhack wrote:Seems like you've already made up your mind (whether you admit to self or not). I think what you really need is validation.

Thanks for the input, everyone. Sometimes you just need people to tell you what you already know.

I'm visiting UO this weekend, so I suppose that will probably seal the deal.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”