U of Maryland v. Temple v. Drexel v. Rutgers Newark

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Turquoise

U of Maryland v. Temple v. Drexel v. Rutgers Newark

Postby Turquoise » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:38 pm

Any advice would be great!

So far I've received acceptance letters to U of Maryland, Temple, Drexel ($20,000 scholarship) and Rutgers Newark ($7,000 scholarship). I'm waiting to hear back from more. My areas of interest are health law (with an international focus), human rights law, and feminist jurisprudence. I'm interested in not going to a school that's highly competitive, student activism would be great (if law students have time for that!), and supportive staff and faculty.

Here are my pros and cons:
Maryland
Pro: healthcare law center and women, leadership, and equality program
Con: I'm worried about whether I'll enjoy living in Baltimore and job prospects after school

Temple
Pro: Philadelphia, human rights classes, and strong rep in Philly
Con: location of the school in Philly (North Philly) and there doesn't seem to be specific programs offered at the school

Drexel
Pro: the area, nice campus, investment in students (the sense I got when I visited the school), co-op program might lead to job prospects
Con: New school and low ranking

Rutgers Newark
Pro: NYC job market, clinics, international focus
Con: ranking and I kind want to get out of New Jersey! I go to Rutgers

I'm planning on visiting all the schools by the end of this month. I also got into Cincinnati, but that's too far for me, and waitlisted at American and Washington & Lee.

Thx!

Re: U of Maryland v. Temple v. Drexel v. Rutgers Newark

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:25 pm

Turquoise wrote:Any advice would be great!

So far I've received acceptance letters to U of Maryland, Temple, Drexel ($20,000 scholarship) and Rutgers Newark ($7,000 scholarship). I'm waiting to hear back from more. My areas of interest are health law (with an international focus), human rights law, and feminist jurisprudence. I'm interested in not going to a school that's highly competitive, student activism would be great (if law students have time for that!), and supportive staff and faculty.

Here are my pros and cons:
Maryland
Pro: healthcare law center and women, leadership, and equality program
Con: I'm worried about whether I'll enjoy living in Baltimore and job prospects after school

Temple
Pro: Philadelphia, human rights classes, and strong rep in Philly
Con: location of the school in Philly (North Philly) and there doesn't seem to be specific programs offered at the school

Drexel
Pro: the area, nice campus, investment in students (the sense I got when I visited the school), co-op program might lead to job prospects
Con: New school and low ranking

Rutgers Newark
Pro: NYC job market, clinics, international focus
Con: ranking and I kind want to get out of New Jersey! I go to Rutgers

I'm planning on visiting all the schools by the end of this month. I also got into Cincinnati, but that's too far for me, and waitlisted at American and Washington & Lee.

Thx!

Where do you want to practice? Those are all very regional schools. Temple only places well in Philly, Maryland in Baltimore, etc. Drexel doesn't really place well anywhere at the moment. You're unlikely to get a BigLaw job out of any of them and will be basically restricted to that region unless you're lucky.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”