OSU vs Iowa

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

OSU vs Iowa

Ohio State (w/ $30K)
38%
Iowa (w/ full ride)
62%

Total votes: 47

Cole S. Law

Re: OSU vs Iowa

Postby Cole S. Law » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:29 pm

daddymike wrote:
Cole S. Law wrote:If you're interested in Criminal Law, Josh Dressler (one of the top criminal scholars in America) is on the OSU faculty.

By whose account?

I had to look this guy up on the Moritz site. --LinkRemoved--

"he has been a Visiting Professor at some of the nation's best known law schools, including University of Michigan, University of California, UCLA, University of California at Davis, and the University of Iowa."

He lists no works, and his past teaching appointments are quite unimpressive.

If you want to compare Criminal Law professors, Iowa has James Tomkovicz (who has his own wiki page at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Tomkovicz) He has authored SIX Supreme Court briefs and is quoted in many criminal law textbooks.

Perhaps Tomkovicz is quoted in Dressler's casebook. If you don't know who Dressler is, you don't know much about Crim Law. Here are some other no names you'll need to look up on wikipedia: Wade, Prosser, Farnsworth, Corbin, Dukeminier. Maybe Dressler's web bio isnt that great because he didn't spend too much time on the form because he was too busy traveling the country as a featured speaker to fill it out in detail. Or maybe he figured everyone already knew he is the shit, so he didn't need to list his whole CV.

TTH

Postby TTH » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:38 pm

Cole S. Law wrote:
daddymike wrote:
Cole S. Law wrote:If you're interested in Criminal Law, Josh Dressler (one of the top criminal scholars in America) is on the OSU faculty.

By whose account?

"he has been a Visiting Professor at some of the nation's best known law schools, including University of Michigan, University of California, UCLA, University of California at Davis, and the University of Iowa."

If you want to compare Criminal Law professors, Iowa has James Tomkovicz (who has his own wiki page at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Tomkovicz) He has authored SIX Supreme Court briefs and is quoted in many criminal law textbooks.

Perhaps Tomkovicz is quoted in Dressler's casebook. If you don't know who Dressler is, you don't know much about Crim Law. Here are some other no names you'll need to look up on wikipedia: Wade, Prosser, Farnsworth, Corbin, Dukeminier. Maybe Dressler's web bio isnt that great because he didn't spend too much time on the form because he was too busy traveling the country as a featured speaker to fill it out in detail. Or maybe he figured everyone already knew he is the shit, so he didn't need to list his whole CV.

Cole is credited. Law students all over the country get Dressler's supplement for Crim law.

Notor

Postby Notor » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:39 pm

I think OP already is leaning towards Iowa, and the debt-free aspect is quite palatable. However, Ohio is a far superior legal market to Iowa. If OP is banking on a big Chicago job he could be gambling, because that is the mecca for literally every midwestern law school, and it contains two t14's as well as a slew of t100 schools. ITE banking on Chicago from out of state is a gamble.

Ohio has 3 major cities with large legal markets, and a fanatical alumni base. I think this outweighs the silly USNWR differences in rank.

TTH

Postby TTH » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:42 pm

Notor wrote:I think OP already is leaning towards Iowa, and the debt-free aspect is quite palatable. However, Ohio is a far superior legal market to Iowa. If OP is banking on a big Chicago job he could be gambling, because that is the mecca for literally every midwestern law school, and it contains two t14's as well as a slew of t100 schools. ITE banking on Chicago from out of state is a gamble.

Ohio has 3 major cities with large legal markets, and a fanatical alumni base. I think this outweighs the silly USNWR differences in rank.

Notor, you idiot, Iowa is ranked 26th and there are IOWA BARS IN CHICAGO! As a matter of fact, I think if you order bottle service at one of the Iowa bars, you get a complimentary summer job with Kirkland and Ellis.

SWEDE LAW

Postby SWEDE LAW » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:47 pm

If you truly want PI, IOWA is TCR here. No debt is huge and the disparity b/t full tuition vs. only 10K a year is big. If you are set on practicing in Ohio, and OSU comes close to matching your offer, than take OSU. In lieu of that happening--IOWA hands down.

Rawlsian

Postby Rawlsian » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:55 pm

SWEDE LAW wrote:If you truly want PI, IOWA is TCR here. No debt is huge and the disparity b/t full tuition vs. only 10K a year is big. If you are set on practicing in Ohio, and OSU comes close to matching your offer, than take OSU. In lieu of that happening--IOWA hands down.

The difference for the OP will only be about 30k for all three years.

I think tOSU is the better school, but really this comes down to where the OP wants to work.

SWEDE LAW

Postby SWEDE LAW » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:59 pm

Rawlsian wrote:
SWEDE LAW wrote:If you truly want PI, IOWA is TCR here. No debt is huge and the disparity b/t full tuition vs. only 10K a year is big. If you are set on practicing in Ohio, and OSU comes close to matching your offer, than take OSU. In lieu of that happening--IOWA hands down.

I think tOSU is the better school, but really this comes down to where the OP wants to work.

That's fair. 30K for a PI career though is not chump change. I think the OP needs to decide if it worth the increased debt to go to a pretty similar school. If dead set on Ohio, it could definitely be worth it. Outside of Ohio, however, I still think Iowa is the better bet.

thepcv

Postby thepcv » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:32 am

SWEDE LAW wrote:
Rawlsian wrote:

That's fair. 30K for a PI career though is not chump change. I think the OP needs to decide if it worth the increased debt to go to a pretty similar school. If dead set on Ohio, it could definitely be worth it. Outside of Ohio, however, I still think Iowa is the better bet.

Yeah, 30K might not seem like a lot, but it's definitely a bit more significant in the PI world. I really can't say which way I'm leaning right now. One moment, I'm pretty confident I'm going to go to UI and then the next day, I'm like but OSU....

The vote here's pretty close, too. Regardless, thanks for all the input, guys! I'm just gonna have to weigh this out a bit longer (though not too much longer. April 1st is coming up soon).

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:52 pm

daddymike wrote:

By whose account?

Don't forget Baldus, also at Iowa.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”