BU vs. Fordham vs. GW Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
anchuldigs

New

BU vs. Fordham vs. GW

Post by anchuldigs » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:45 pm

I have been accepted to BU, Fordham, and GW. I definitely want to work in NYC but wouldn't mind moving to Boston or Washington for law school.

Which school would give me the best prospects of a biglaw job (corporate law - none of that international stuff) in NYC?

Which would give me the best prospects of transferring to a better school (NYU or Columbia) after 1L or 2L?

cardinalandgold

Silver

Re: BU vs. Fordham vs. GW

Post by cardinalandgold » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:49 pm

Go w/ Fordham.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:49 pm

Fordham for NYC. It's not even a question.

anchuldigs

New

Post by anchuldigs » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:51 pm

Do I have a shot at transferrring to NYU after 1L if I do extremely well in 1L, or should I forget about it?

OneKnight

Bronze

Post by OneKnight » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:52 pm

anchuldigs wrote:I have been accepted to BU, Fordham, and GW. I definitely want to work in NYC but wouldn't mind moving to Boston or Washington for law school.

Which school would give me the best prospects of a biglaw job (corporate law - none of that international stuff) in NYC?

Which would give me the best prospects of transferring to a better school (NYU or Columbia) after 1L or 2L?
Fordham.

/thread

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:53 pm

anchuldigs wrote:Do I have a shot at transferrring to NYU after 1L if I do extremely well in 1L, or should I forget about it?
You'll probably need top 5-10% to have a shot, so you shouldn't forget about it, but don't count it on either.
Last edited by im_blue on Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OneKnight

Bronze

Post by OneKnight » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:53 pm

anchuldigs wrote:Do I have a shot at transferrring to NYU after 1L if I do extremely well in 1L, or should I forget about it?

Yes. Absolutely. But this, of course, is not something you (or anyone else for that matter) can count on. That's why the best advice is always to go to a school at which you can see yourself for three years.

anchuldigs

New

Post by anchuldigs » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:54 pm

Say I went to BU or GW anyway, would I have a chance at transferring to Fordham after a year?

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:58 pm

anchuldigs wrote:Say I went to BU or GW anyway, would I have a chance at transferring to Fordham after a year?
This doesn't really make much sense. There are downsides to transferring (application process, possibly losing OCI privileges, harder to do law review), so you shouldn't do it unless there's a significant rankings jump.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

anchuldigs

New

Post by anchuldigs » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:10 pm

So the consensus is that I should go to Fordham, eh?
Is everyone 100% sure?
After all BU is 22 in the rankings and GW is expected to rise to the low twenties as well. Fordham is still about 28. Isn't that a significant difference?
Last edited by anchuldigs on Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OneKnight

Bronze

Post by OneKnight » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:13 pm

anchuldigs wrote:So the consensus is that I should go to Fordham, eh?
Is everyone 100% sure?
IF those are your best offers and IF you are not being offered a significant amount of money at GW/BU or that doesn't matter to you and IF you want to work in New York, you really really should go to Fordham. Just FYI, there would be no perceptible difference re: transferring from FU vs. BU vs. GW - you would need to do extremely well as a 1L regardless of the institution (that's less true for higher ranked schools of course)

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:16 pm

OneKnight wrote:
anchuldigs wrote:So the consensus is that I should go to Fordham, eh?
Is everyone 100% sure?
IF those are your best offers and IF you are not being offered a significant amount of money at GW/BU or that doesn't matter to you and IF you want to work in New York, you really really should go to Fordham. Just FYI, there would be no perceptible difference re: transferring from FU vs. BU vs. GW - you would need to do extremely well as a 1L regardless of the institution (that's less true for higher ranked schools of course)
+1. This isn't even a question for NYC. The small rankings difference is irrelevant outside the T14.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”